3 Replies Latest reply on Jun 3, 2016 10:34 AM by trshaner

How, or in what order, does a preset apply adjustments?

Charlie Groh

...been using LR for years, but this question came up after reading a sharpening tutorial, which recommended sharpening be applied to the image as the last operation.  So, when I use presets, which is a bunch, is there an order in which adjustments are applied...in crafting the preset will the order of my adjustments be maintained?

• 1. Re: How, or in what order, does a preset apply adjustments?
          dj_paige Level 9

There is no order of applying adjustments that you can control. The order of applying adjustments is built into the Lightroom program code, and is proprietary and not known outside of Adobe.

I don't have any particular problem applying a preset which includes sharpening at Import, and then doing additional edits if desired.

• 2. Re: How, or in what order, does a preset apply adjustments?
            Charlie Groh Level 1

...yah, that's what I figured...I don't actually *have* a problem...been working fine forever...thanks for the clarity.

• 3. Re: How, or in what order, does a preset apply adjustments?
              trshaner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Charlie Groh wrote:

...been using LR for years, but this question came up after reading a sharpening tutorial, which recommended sharpening be applied to the image as the last operation.

The primary reason for applying the Detail panel Sharpening and Noise Reduction settings as the "last operation" is because those settings can slow the preview update in the Develop module. This may cause a lag in control slider response in the other panels (i.e. Basic controls). This also applies to the Lens corrections panel control settings.

Like I also don't have any issues applying these settings on Import. With higher Megapixel image files (>25Mp) and when using lower performance systems this may be an issue. Try it for yourself by applying those settings first to an image file and then manually apply all other adjustments. If the control sliders have no lag than you have no issues.

Charlie Groh wrote:

So, when I use presets, which is a bunch, is there an order in which adjustments are applied...

As far as I know this information is unpublished, but we can make some assumptions. The LR Develop module panels are organized in a specific top-down order including the controls inside each panel. This is in fact the order Adobe is telling us we should apply the controls to achieve best results. The one exception is the bottom-most Camera Calibration Process and Profile settings, which should always be set before ANY other control adjustments.

Charlie Groh wrote:

...in crafting the preset will the order of my adjustments be maintained?

You can examine any Develop preset using a text editor such as Notepad. The control settings are listed in alphabetical order regardless of the order you applied them. This of course is not the order they are applied in.