7 Replies Latest reply on Jun 3, 2016 2:33 PM by richardplondon

LR edit in PS

WAGoudeau Level 1

I need help with my current workflow:

1. In LR > Right click raw image (DNG) > Edit in PS

1a. I rarely make LR edits first.. I usually head straight to PS.

2. Create layers, edits, etc in PS

3. Click Save (NOT Save as)

4. Image is saved as 'PictureName - Edit.tiff'

5. LR automatically updates with my visible PS edits

Here is where my confusion is---I want to re-edit the 'PictureName - Edit.tiff'.

1. I locate the image in my folders (not LR) and edit the 'PictureName - Edit.tiff'.

2. I go back to LR and click synchronize folder to reveal the changes.

How can I open the edited 'PictureName - Edit.tiff' file in PS from LR with my layers intact? I do not want to hunt down the specific .tiff file from my finder menu and synchronize folder every time. Please note I rarely do LR adjustments before my edit in PS. If I do any LR adjustments, it would be after my PS edits have been saved.

• 1. Re: LR edit in PS
          trshaner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

WAGoudeau wrote:

I need help with my current workflow:

1. In LR > Right click raw image (DNG) > Edit in PS

1a. I rarely make LR edits first.. I usually head straight to PS.

For best results you should be adjusting the raw file inside LR BEFORE creating an Edit in PS TIFF. The whole purpose of using raw files inside LR is to allow applying non-destructive edits. You use Edit in PS to apply editing not available inside LR. If there is a specific reason you are using this workflow please explain in detail so we can provide further suggestions.

• 2. Re: LR edit in PS
            richardplondon Level 4

Just select "Edit in PS" again - or Ctrl+E  / Cmd+E - from inside LR, having highlighted the thumbnail for the TIF representing your previous PS edit (which was based in turn, on the DNG original).

When you are working from a Raw file in LR (including DNG), and send that out to PS, there are no options except "Edit a Copy with Lightroom Adjustments" (if there are any LR adjustments, but in any case, there will be a default conversion which will be what gets used). Since there's only one option, you are not presented with a choice.

When you are working from a TIF in LR - one which is the result of a previous PS edit, or some other source - there are various possible alternatives. The default is "edit original" in this case; or you can create a brand new additional version instead. Edit Original returns you to the same file, open in PS, as it was when you last saw it just before saving, closing and returning to LR. Layers and all.

LR is designed to let you jump back and forth between PS and LR, updating the PS content of the SAME file, and reviewing the changing results from that in the LR environment as you go. Note: you will not see any subsequent editing that may get applied by LR, while inside PS. You will only see the PS content while there.

If something else happens when you Edit in PS of this image, you may have at some previous time chosen an inappropriate option in a dialog, and told LR "always do this". To get out of that situation, in LR Settings / General tab you can click "Reset all Warning Dialogs". Then next time you do the same, choose Edit Original.

• 3. Re: LR edit in PS
              WAGoudeau Level 1

I learned PS previous to LR, so my default workflow has been editing in PS first. I am slowly moving to LR edits first (exposure, highlights, etc). I do heavy PS edits such as complex skin retouching, luminosity selections, etc that LR is capable of, but not at extreme detail.

I understand the importance of non-destructive edits LR provides. When I save an 'edit in PS', an '...-Edit.tiff' is created--my original DNG is still untouched. Am I missing something?

• 4. Re: LR edit in PS
                WAGoudeau Level 1

Thank you for the explanation:

" Edit Original returns you to the same file, open in PS, as it was when you last saw it just before saving, closing and      returning to LR. Layers and all."

I opened an edited .tif from LR via 'edit in PS'. I then chose the 'edit original'. PS opened up my .tif with layers and all----great!

Another question regarding the below comment:

"Note: you will not see any subsequent editing that may get applied by LR, while inside PS. You will only see the PS      content while there."

Example--I am editing a photo first in PS from LR (edit in PS right click). Once I finished my edit, I click save, and LR updates with the new picture. I then apply edits in LR to that image. I then want to edit that photo again in PS (edit in PS right click > edit original ). I am aware the LR edits will NOT apply in the PS image, but once I click save in PS again, will LR apply those LR edits on top of my newly safed . tif PS file?..or will I have to redo the LR edits?

• 5. Re: LR edit in PS
                  trshaner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

WAGoudeau wrote:

I understand the importance of non-destructive edits LR provides. When I save an 'edit in PS', an '...-Edit.tiff' is created--my original DNG is still untouched.

Correct, and if no LR adjustments were applied (other than default settings) that is what's "baked into" your Edit in PS Tiff file. The point being when returning to PS with Edit in PS> Edit Original that is your base image. If you first apply Basic Toning and LR's other controls to get the image closer to your final look BEFORE creating the Edit in PS TIFF that is what you will see in PS. This helps when returning the TIFF to PS for further edits Using Edit Original, since it's much closer to the final product.

WAGoudeau wrote:

I learned PS previous to LR, so my default workflow has been editing in PS first. I am slowly moving to LR edits first (exposure, highlights, etc). I do heavy PS edits such as complex skin retouching, luminosity selections, etc that LR is capable of, but not at extreme detail.

You may be surprised at how much you can do in LR to create a specific image look and the beauty (pun) is it's all non-destructive. The PV2012 Basic panel Tone controls are every powerful and can improve an image with very little effort, and then LR's Local controls can be used to paint in specific things such as skin softening. Since you are applying the adjustments to the raw data there is much more latitude for recovery than with an Edit in PS TIFF, especially for things like Sharpening & NR. And again–This is ALL non-destructive editing that can be easily changed for a different look including using Virtual Copies that take up virtually no hard drive space.

Many tutorials available on YouTube and in Adobe Help (F1 key):

lightroom beauty retouching - YouTube

Making the transition from a 100% PS workflow to LR takes time, but you've got to use it to gain the necessary experience. I started using PS in 1994 and LR in 2007. With each new version of LR I find myself using PS less frequently, but I appreciate what it can do when needed.

• 6. Re: LR edit in PS
                    WAGoudeau Level 1

Thank for you the reply and detailed explanations!

I now understand the point of editing first in LR for non-destructive edits, then to PS if needed. All about the 'History' side bar in LR to revert back if needed.

• 7. Re: LR edit in PS
                      richardplondon Level 4

once I click save in PS again, will LR apply those LR edits on top of my newly safed . tif PS file?..or will I have to redo the LR edits?

LR continues to maintain the same adjustments as before. They remain adjustable and live. Only: they are now seen as applied onto a different looking 'background'.

There's more. If you want, you can make one or more Virtual Copies of the edited version of the image, in LR. That allows you to apply different LR adjustments onto each copy of that same 'background' image - different treatments, alternative crops, whatever. When the TIF is further edited in PS, and saved, that change to the TIF (to its compatibility preview, strictly) updates into all of the Virtual Copies as well as the first master copy - all those various thumbnails and previews reflect it, automatically.