9 Replies Latest reply on Jun 4, 2016 9:27 AM by Jim Wilde

LR decides to import duplicates

alfonsov31097035 Level 1

LR import from a memory card with some new and some already imported images. Normal operation: do not support duplicated. Lightroom stupid pet trick of the day: I cannot get it to NOT import duplicates. I am doing nothing different. Hundreds of images imported as "Imgxxx_2". I do NOT have time to uncheck these one at a time. Why does something that works suddenly stop? LR is buggier than the typical application of 1995, or maybe something I wrote. An embarrassment to humankind.

• 1. Re: LR decides to import duplicates
          alfonsov31097035 Level 1

I guess the "Creative" in "Creative Cloud" refers to "Creatively original" functionality of the application. LR: "I guess today I will do something random and useless"

• 2. Re: LR decides to import duplicates
            Jim Wilde Level 5

If you definitely have "Don't Import Suspected Duplicates" checked in the import dialog, are the "duplicates" photos that you've previously imported, then subsequently removed from Lightroom during culling (but removed from catalog only, did not delete from disk), and are still on the memory card? If so the next time you present the card, Lightroom will see those previously imported and removed photos as new photos, not as duplicates (when you remove a photo from Lightroom all references to that photo are removed from the catalog). So if you don't uncheck those photos (three clicks, click on the first, shift-click on the last, click one of the check-marks and all will be de-selected), they will be imported again and if they weren't originally deleted from disk and are being copied to the same location then the file system will copy them but add the "-2" to them all.

Does that scenario seem possible? If not, we'll need some further details and probably some screenshots (one of the import dialog, and one of the grid showing some original and duplicates with the filenames included in the cell info).

• 3. Re: LR decides to import duplicates
              alfonsov31097035 Level 1

I did not cull from the catalog or remove anything from disk. The images were correctly imported over the last couple of weeks (and duplicates were not imported over that time). I always have "Don't import suspected duplicates" checked. The images in question appear to be distinct files, the duplicates apparently with a file name like IMG_XXX-2.CR2 for the raw files. When this happened, I actually quit out of LR and relaunched. All pictures, including duplicates,  were checked for import, and all were apparently imported.

I tried to go through the same workflow this morning to get your screenshots, but now it works correctly as it had before, and LR thinks (correctly) that there are no new pictures to import. I have done nothing different. MacBook Pro up to date on all OS and Creative Cloud updates. So it appears to be irreproducible, which in a sense makes it worse.

• 4. Re: LR decides to import duplicates
                Jim Wilde Level 5

Thanks for the update, but as you say there's not much we or Adobe can do if it's not reproducible.

One thing that wasn't clear to me....after you imported the duplicates, did they appear in the catalog alongside the originals, i.e. did you really end up with two files in the catalog, same name, same image, except one had the "-2" addition?

• 5. Re: LR decides to import duplicates
                  alfonsov31097035 Level 1

Yes, they show up in the catalog as two images, and also as two image files if I view them in a finder window.

• 6. Re: LR decides to import duplicates
                    Jao vdL Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I get the same thing if I import from a different card reader or if I import the images first on my laptop (say I am traveling), copy the images over and import from a catalog and then happen to stick the memory card in that still has the images on it. For some reason it is extremely finicky and tends to err on the side of caution even if the images have exactly the same filename, capture date, and there is no difference whatsoever.

2 people found this helpful
                    • 7. Re: LR decides to import duplicates
                      alfonsov31097035 Level 1

Jao, this is an interesting hint. I have a Canon 7D, for which I have an external CF card reader, and a 6D, for which I use the SD slot on the computer. So I had imported images from the 6D with no problem, then imported some from the 7D using the different card reader, and when I tried to import new 6D images with the old ones still on the card, LR insisted on importing everything. I am not ready to say this is the correct answer, but it does raise the best working hypothesis.

• 8. Re: LR decides to import duplicates
                        alfonsov31097035 Level 1

Maybe useful info from another respondent:
                        "I get the same thing if I import from a different card reader or if I import the images first on my laptop (say I am traveling), copy the images over and import from a catalog and then happen to stick the memory card in that still has the images on it. For some reason it is extremely finicky and tends to err on the side of caution even if the images have exactly the same filename, capture date, and there is no difference whatsoever."

I have a Canon 7D and 6D, for which I use different card readers. The normal imports were over several days on a recent trip using the 6D. Then I had some 7D shots and the different card reader. Then some new 6D shots with the old ones still on the card, and that is when LR insisted on re-importing everything.

• 9. Re: LR decides to import duplicates
                          Jim Wilde Level 5

Yes, it is useful. The problem is that there are so many different circumstances that could be brought into play, that pinning it down to an absolutely reproducible scenario has proven very elusive, for me at least. I've done a ton of testing, and many times triggered an issue but which doesn't happen next time I run the test. For example, using my Canon 5DIII which has dual card slots - SD and CF - which I configure to duplicate each shot, if I try to import direct from the attached camera with both cards still in the slot, in theory half of the total images should be selectable and the other half not....but often a small batch from both sets in the middle will be selected for import, but not always. Jao's tip about using a separate card reader is a good one, I hadn't thought of testing that. I'll maybe give it a try when I have time.