18 Replies Latest reply on Jun 5, 2016 7:17 AM by Cocadori

Will not import Raw files after...

Cocadori

My MacBook Pro has much of it memory maxed... In order to free up some space I deleted some of the smaller files LR (Version 6.5 Camera Raw 9.5) keep on your computer to work with...

Now, I wanted to go back and import some of the original RAW files from an external drive and LR does not recognize them or imports them...

What can I if anything do to solves this so I can work with the original RAW files...?

• 1. Re: Will not import Raw files after...
          dj_paige Level 9

Describe the exact problem in detail. What are the exact steps you are following? What is the complete unedited word-for-word error message?

• 2. Re: Will not import Raw files after...
            Cocadori Level 1

Open Lightroom, Library, Import, under source I'll select the external drive and then locate the raw files....

select the box for the import I want... then... "import file"

The center part of the work area in light room goes to the "grey" color and it says....

"importing files"... continuously and I ultimately have to close LR and start it up again....

• 3. Re: Will not import Raw files after...
              Jao vdL Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Did you delete the raw files outside of Lightroom and not remove them from Lightroom or did you remove them also from your Lightroom catalog? The best way to do this is to not remove them from Lightroom but to move the files to the external disk and then reconnect them in Lightroom. You do not use import in any stage of this. This way your images stay in Lightroom and can be captioned/keyworded etc but can only be edited in Develop on when you connect the external hard disk.

• 4. Re: Will not import Raw files after...
                Cocadori Level 1

No I did not delete them outside LR... I keep all my raw files externally and only import them when I use them... Thereforen the hard drive is connected when I am doing this... The only files that were removed were the small one LR keeps on your computer... Seems like it is rediculous that the original raw file will not "reimport"

• 5. Re: Will not import Raw files after...

What small one are you talking about? Do you mean a smart preview? If so then you did not remove them from Lightroom and they will not reimport normally.

• 6. Re: Will not import Raw files after...
                    dj_paige Level 9

If there are videos in the folder or camera card that you are importing from, remove the videos and try the import again.

• 7. Re: Will not import Raw files after...
                      Cocadori Level 1

lrcat file....

dj_paige, I am not importing from a folder or camera card. I am importing from an external harddrive.

It still doesn't make sense why if I deleted those lrcat files and I import the external drives original RAW why it wouldn't show it or create a new one...

• 8. Re: Will not import Raw files after...

You deleted the lrcat file? I don't understand your workflow. Why would you ever delete a lrcat file? It contains all your edits. Are you maybe referring to the backup files? The backups you can delete but you shouldn't delete the main lrcat files as you will lose all your work.

• 9. Re: Will not import Raw files after...
                          Cocadori Level 1

Yes i deleted the lrcat files... I had so many it was taking up too much start up disc space on my MacBook Pro. These files all were from 4-5 yrs ago... However once I completed editing a photo i  saved that fully edited version to the external drive... I just noticed this the other day that when I wanted to the edit a file from 5 yrs ago i had the original raw so insist think it would be a problem... Still doesn't makes sense why LR doesn't read the RAW file..?!?!?

• 10. Re: Will not import Raw files after...

So do you generate a new catalog all the time or do you work from a single catalog? If you work from a single catalog, Lightroom generates backups automatically in a backups folder next to your main catalog. Those you can safely delete over time as they only take up space but I would always keep the last few around (their name will have the date in them). Your main catalog you should not delete. So if you work from a single catalog, you never removed the file from the catalog and it is normal that Lightroom won't reimport them, because they are actually still in there. There is no save from Lightroom. You can export copies but you never save.

In general it is best to work from a single catalog file and keep your current working originals on an internal drive. Then when you are done with them, move the originals to an external and relink them inside lightroom. This way they stay referenced in your catalog and you can work on them if your external is connected. It also doesn't take much space on your internal hard disk as it only stores a jpeg preview there and the develop instructions. In general you never have to export a fully edited copy only when you need it for something like a website or some such. You can then immediately delete those exported copies when you've uploaded them as you can always generate new ones at the right size and quality level from Lightroom. This is the strategy that allows you to work best with a smallish internal hard disk. Note that you never remove anything from the catalog in this case.

• 11. Re: Will not import Raw files after...
                              Cocadori Level 1

OK, that all makes sense... Thanks for that! However, If I move the lrcat file to an external drive... how does lr know where to look for them? (Obviously this concept is all new to me...)

For the past 4 years this has been the process for me... :

take photos

take camera card and plug into card reader attached to laptop which is also attached and external drive.

Transfer all the RAW card files to external drive. Then remove card from reader.

I would then open LR and begin selecting file to import and work with.

I would process/edit the ones I thought would make nice images. Then export the processed (keepers) to another folder on the external drive...

thats my work flow.. right or wrong thats it...

SO lately I've gotten these messages that the start up disc is full and I needed to make room... (the  MBP is only used for photography) so the only option was to remove some lrcat files...

It still doesn't make sense to me why....LR won't (re-read) the original RAW so I am able to work with it..

• 12. Re: Will not import Raw files after...
                                dj_paige Level 9

If your internal HD is so full that your only choice is to remove catalog files, that's a problem by itself. Since catalog files are at most a few gigabytes, moving them doesn't really free up that much space and you might want to do some investigation as to what is really filling up your hard drive. Are you 100% sure the photos are on the external? Normally photos take up a lot more space than the catalog file.

If you do move the catalog file to the external drive, you should be able to double-click on it and have it open properly in Lightroom and all edits will be intact.

It still doesn't make sense to me why....LR won't (re-read) the original RAW so I am able to work with it..

Does this mean you can't import the photo? There's no point in importing a photo a second time, it's already in the Lightroom catalog and so you want to find the photo in the Library Module, not import it. (Or do you mean something else?)

• 13. Re: Will not import Raw files after...
                                  Cocadori Level 1

I've since found some other issues that are taking up memory... however I still deleted some of those lrcat files... but from what your saying I should be able to find them... or LR should and I should still be able to work with the original RAW... however...

When I go to import it ( reimport ) LR has the  "importing files" status forever and will not allow you to do anything else... Unless I close LR and restart it...

Seems that if this file is already in LR or somewhere it should recognize it and open it... no?

• 14. Re: Will not import Raw files after...
                                    dj_paige Level 9

Seems that if this file is already in LR or somewhere it should recognize it and open it... no?

I still do not understand your use of the word "open" because Lightroom does not "open" photos. Lightroom has an Import function, is that what you are referring to? Or do you mean something else?

If you mean importing photos, you should not import photos a second time into Lightroom. If Lightroom thinks your are trying to import a duplicate of an existing photo, the default behavior of Lightroom is to prevent you from importing the photo. You need to go into the Library module and find the photo and then make use of it.

• 15. Re: Will not import Raw files after...
                                      Cocadori Level 1

OK... so I went to the library module.

Found the file

went into the develop module.. LR says " file cannot be found"

the went to the library module again... went to import... found the original RAW file selected it for import...

LR then says.... (to no avail) "importing files" then it forces me to restart the program because this message would be displayed forever...

????

• 16. Re: Will not import Raw files after...
                                        dj_paige Level 9

You cannot fix the error "file cannot be found" by importing. This is 100% the wrong thing to do in this situation.

You need to reconnect the photos in Lightroom using the instructions here: Adobe Lightroom - Find moved or missing files and folders

1 person found this helpful
                                        • 17. Re: Will not import Raw files after...
                                          trshaner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Did you use Nikon software to import or review any of these raw files? This can cause file corruption if using older versions of the software:

Older versions of Nikon Transfer will corrupt D600 files

• 18. Re: Will not import Raw files after...
                                            Cocadori Level 1

Well now that works!

Many thanks!