9 Replies Latest reply on Jun 6, 2016 9:59 AM by jane-e

Toggle between TOC styles?

erica59044543 Level 1

With a TOC selected, is it possible to toggle between TOC styles the way one would toggle between paragraph styles on a selected paragraph?

For example, toggling the TOC between print version (page numbers) and epub version (no page numbers).

What’s the best practice here? Is there a script or plugin that can handle this?

Thank you.

• 1. Re: Toggle between TOC styles?
          BarbBinder Adobe Community Professional

You can create and save multiple TOC styles. In one job I use a TOC to create the titles for the running heads (too long for variables), a TOC for the list of articles for the cover (again the titles) and then the actual TOC itself (titles and subheads), all formatted differently but handled through the dialog box. In your case I would create one for the print version and a second for the ePub.

InDesign CCss_007.png

• 2. Re: Toggle between TOC styles?
            erica59044543 Level 1

BarbBinder,

Thank you. I was actually building out the method you describe when I realized how tedious it was going to be to have to:

a) create a TOC,

b) apply the TOC style “print”,

c) export to PDF,

d) delete the TOC,

e) create a new TOC to replace the deleted one,

f) apply the TOC style “epub-html”,

g) export to EPUB.

h) Repeat a thru g for any other TOCs like List of Figures, List of Illustrations, etc.

i) Repeat a thru h any time ONE file requires updating.

j) Repeat a thru i for ALL files that require updating.

For my workflow, that becomes painful enough, quickly enough, that it is worth it to me to attempt writing a script to automate it… …if something like that doesn’t already exist??

Existing functionality:

Export > EPUB > Navigation TOC > Select TOC Style > “epub”

Potential functionality:

Export > EPUB > HTML TOCs > Select TOC Style > “epub-html” (no page numbers or custom spacing)

• 3. Re: Toggle between TOC styles?
              BarbBinder Adobe Community Professional

Firstly, the bulk of your time will be spent formatting the first TOC, LoF and LoI for both the print and ePub versions, and setting up the dialog box—but you have to do that at some point, script or no script. The actual updates are easier than it sounds: select the existing TOC (LoF, LoI), and just update to the new Style and export it. You don't have to delete anything—you'll just replace the previous version.

That said, I get that you want to script it, but I'm not the one to help you. Someone who can may find your thread here, or you can post in on the InDesign Scripting forum: InDesign Scripting which is monitored by those who can.

• 4. Re: Toggle between TOC styles?
                Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

You can leave both TOCs in the doc, just move one out of the way and move the other into place. As long as they touch a page they will update correctly.

• 5. Re: Toggle between TOC styles?
                  Willi Adelberger Most Valuable Participant

Normally I do a separate copy for EPUBs anyway as some changes are always done in the EPUB version, contrary to the printed version:

1. Some small changes need to be done in the imprint.
                  2. For print I use sometimes a little bit more narrow running text to fit into the given number of pages and not to waste a further page and the publisher has to pay for more 4 pages.
                  3. Headlines, some character styles and if available images change to the colored version, even if the printed version is only B&W.
                  4. Even for supplied PDFs I make some changes, like PageNumbers changing from left-right to centered.

So I use for the electronic versions always a different TOC than for the printed issues.

• 6. Re: Toggle between TOC styles?
                    jane-e Adobe Community Professional

erica59044543 wrote:

I was actually building out the method you describe when I realized how tedious it was going to be to have to:

j) Repeat a thru i for ALL files that require updating.

For my workflow, that becomes painful enough, quickly enough, that it is worth it to me to attempt writing a script to automate it… …if something like that doesn’t already exist??

Save your Print TOC style

Save your EPUB TOC style

Don't put the print TOC in your Articles panel; put everything else in it that you want to be in the EPUB

When you export the EPUB, use the Articles panel and use the EPUB TOC

Go to Lynda.com and watch Anne-Marie's title on EPUBs. You will have some aha! moments! Look for the 30-day trial if you haven't used it yet or it's only $25 for one month.

InDesign CC 2015: EPUB Fundamentals | Lynda.com

• 7. Re: Toggle between TOC styles?
                      erica59044543 Level 1

jane-e

Magic, thank you!

• 8. Re: Toggle between TOC styles?
                        erica59044543 Level 1

Peter Spier,

This technique had never occurred to me—thanks for sharing it. I combined this with the Articles panel per jane-e’s suggestion, and it’s working beautifully.

• 9. Re: Toggle between TOC styles?
                          jane-e Adobe Community Professional

erica59044543 wrote:

jane-e

Magic, thank you!

Officially known as "Adobe Magic"!