27 Replies Latest reply on Jun 7, 2016 7:38 PM by SteveH59

Movie 'stutters'

SteveH59 Level 1

Hello

I have downloaded a movie from a Canon Legria camcorder that was shot as follows:

OriginalCamcorderFileProperties.jpg

When I opened PremElements 11 (Windows 10), I set the project up as follows:

File_settingsAVCHD25fpsAdvancedHD_widescreen.jpg

I dragged the movie to the Timeline (Expert) and clicked Render. It didn't actually render as other projects I have done, but went instead right to the beginning of the Timeline and started playing.

When I then watched it, the movie played from frame to frame but 'stuttered' and is not at all 'fluent'.

I closed down PremElements and restarted my PC, but the movie is still the same.

Haven't I got the file settings right, please?

Thanks.

Steve

• 1. Re: Movie 'stutters'
          Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Please post a screenshot of a clip in MediaInfo in treeview.

windows does not show enough properties.

On a side note: to get terminology correct.

Getting media from a solid state camera into a editing program is called ingesting or importing.

Downloading is when getting files from the internet to your computer.

• 2. Re: Movie 'stutters'
            Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

When you say "when I watched it" do you mean when you played the timeline or do you mean when you output the movie as a file and watched it on a media player?

It looks like you've got the settings right. But what processor do you have and with how much RAM?

• 3. Re: Movie 'stutters'
              SteveH59 Level 1

MediaViewFile.jpg

Thanks, Ann for your reply.

The above is what I see in Media View.

• 4. Re: Movie 'stutters'
                SteveH59 Level 1

Thanks, Steve, for reply.

I have 4Gb RAM and a Intel(R) Celeron CPU E3400 @ 2.60GHz.

I have no problem watching live TV programmes or 'On Demand' programmes. I am watching one now.

I mean when I click on the 'play' button on the Timeline. I have bot saved the file. It exists only as a .prel file at the moment.

• 5. Re: Movie 'stutters'

Just wanted to check if you had the correct project settings, which you have.

Why did you have to render.

Do you have an red, yellow or none line over your footage.

What are your comp specs? Please be specific.

• 6. Re: Movie 'stutters'
                    SteveH59 Level 1

I usually render as a matter of course or when the application prompts me to do so.

There are 2 yellow lines only here:

YellowLInes.jpg

Not sure what you mean, sorry, by 'comp specs'?

• 7. Re: Movie 'stutters'

No I mean at the top of the timeline.

• 8. Re: Movie 'stutters'
                        SteveH59 Level 1

No, there are no lines at all.

Should there be?

• 9. Re: Movie 'stutters'

No then you should not have to render.

• 10. Re: Movie 'stutters'
                            SteveH59 Level 1

Oh, right. Thanks for letting me know.

• 11. Re: Movie 'stutters'

Your machine is also way underpowered for editing high-def video, Steve.

As you can see, you processor benchmarks at about 1500.

PassMark CPU Benchmarks - Low Mid Range CPUs

I'd recommend using a processor that rates at least a 5500 in order to have smoother performance with high-def video.

1 person found this helpful
                              • 12. Re: Movie 'stutters'
                                SteveH59 Level 1

Maybe my slow processor is the problem - that would mean getting a higher grade PC which would be difficult at the moment - but, as I say, I can watch films (I am watching a full-length modern film on the BBC as I write) without a problem.

What I am hoping to do is edit this Blue-Ray movie in Prem Elements 11 (it was shot in AVCHD), but saving it only as a normal DVD (the person it is for does not have Blue Ray).

The problems I have occasionally noticed is that if I have Photoshop open, Microsoft Outlook open, a TV movie, and Prem Elements, sometimes Elements is slow or even stops on the Timeline even if I have pressed its Play button. If I come out of those other applications, it's business as usual with Elements.

The video I am working on now in Elements - the one my original post was about - settles down after a few minutes and is reasonably steady. It's only the first couple of minutes when it appears hesitant. I will see how it goes over the next couple of days - hopefully it will all have settled down, but thanks for your and Ann's reassurance that the settings are correct.

• 13. Re: Movie 'stutters'

Watching a movie is quite different then editing a movie especially avchd which is very cpu intensive.

• 14. Re: Movie 'stutters'
                                    SteveH59 Level 1

Yes, I know I need to upgrade.

That depends on whether or not I will be editing AVCHD movies regularly. I have just priced a Dell Win 10 8GB RAM PC with an i7 5000+ processor (and no monitor). The cost is about £1100 - about $1300. If I am only going to edit AVCHD movies every 6 months, it is not value for money, but I will see how it goes.

Yes, but I was not referring to editing a AVCHD and its draw on the CPU. What I meant, originally, is that when I play the 'imported' movie from a camcorder in PremElemts 11, the movie was hesitant. When I play TV dramas that have been uploaded online by the BBC, for example, they are not. That indicates to me that, while you are right about the need to upgrade, my PC is not at fault. The fault seemed to point to what I was doing, or not doing, in PreElements - that's why I asked about the settings.

• 15. Re: Movie 'stutters'

Again a movie from the BBC is not avchd from a camera. Big difference.

• 16. Re: Movie 'stutters'
                                        SteveH59 Level 1

Since our discussion yesterday, I have placed 18 JPEGS with transition between them, in front of the movie and, after a couple of text-based screens, they will be the first items the viewer will see when this is eventually burnt to DVD.

When I play the movie in Prem Elements from the beginning, there is no 'hesitancy' about the two text-based screens (fade out), but there is 'hesitancy' when the first few photos (all cross-fade) are approached. After that, the following images and their cross-fades, play fine. That is the same kind of pattern I noticed with the movie itself (which comes shortly after the 'stills'.

It's as if PremElements 'hesitates' for an initial few moments as it adjusts to the new challenge of a string of still images, after which it is fine. The next challenge is the movie itself. A few moments of hesitation as it negotiates the early stages of the movie, before settling down. I am not sure if you have come across this before?

That's probably the best way I can describe the problem. It's not a major problem because it settles down, but it is one I was hoping to iron out.

Many thanks again for your time.

• 17. Re: Movie 'stutters'
                                          SteveH59 Level 1

Hello again

I have just looked at the movie again. It's on my desktop and if I double-click on a clip it opens up - presumably in Win Media Player (Films & TV in Win 10) - and it plays perfectly.

The 'stutter' occurs only when I import the clips to Prem Elements and play it on the Timeline. If I do not use the AVCHD settings I posted originally (I chose those settings by going to File | New Project before importing the movie and selected 'Force these settings on this project') because this PC is not up to the job, so to speak, what are the next appropriate settings I should use, please?

It is PAL, widescreen, 25fps.

Thanks again!

Steve

• 18. Re: Movie 'stutters'

If a movie plays well in a player like Windows Media Player it does not mean it will play well in a video-editor like Elements

Get a better computer.

• 19. Re: Movie 'stutters'
                                              SteveH59 Level 1

OK, thanks.

I will try it on another, similar, PC with a lot less heavy applications - mine does most things apart from brewing me beer!

I am grateful to both yourself and Steve for highlighting the problem.

Steve

• 20. Re: Movie 'stutters'

Its not the application that is causing the issue.

Its the avchd footage: its heavily compressed and needs cpu power to edit in a editor.

• 21. Re: Movie 'stutters'
                                                  SteveH59 Level 1

I know it's the highest quality - it's Blue Ray.

Yes, I do understand what you are emphasising and you have given me food for thought - but who is going to splash out $1300 for a DVD?

I have, however, done it before - with a student's graduation - and it turned out fine. Basically, I edited the movie as a Blue Ray, but saved it for a normal DVD player.

Maybe I just got lucky.

• 22. Re: Movie 'stutters'
                                                    SteveH59 Level 1

Just for the record, Ann.

I saved the file midway through working on it, making sure the clip(s) with the 'stutter' were part of the saved file.

It works fine and the movie is fluent.

So much for my poor Windows PC.

Steve

• 23. Re: Movie 'stutters'
                                                      Peru Bob Adobe Community Professional & MVP

SteveH59 wrote:

It works fine and the movie is fluent.

So much for my poor Windows PC.

Just because the preview stutters, it doesn't mean that the final output will.

If you can put up with the stutter during editing, then you won't need a new computer.

• 24. Re: Movie 'stutters'
                                                        SteveH59 Level 1

THANK YOU, Peru Bob!

• 25. Re: Movie 'stutters'
                                                          Peru Bob Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You're welcome.

• 26. Re: Movie 'stutters'

BTW, I would NEVER spend over $1000 on a computer to edit video with Premiere Elements.

One could be had easily for under $500.

• 27. Re: Movie 'stutters'
                                                              SteveH59 Level 1

Thanks for all your advice. I am grateful.

You are thinking only in US terms.

Things are more expensive here - how about $10 for a beer in London!?

I will investigate the Lynda courses and your own.

You take care

Steve