4 Replies Latest reply on Jun 4, 2016 9:12 AM by Jao vdL

Sharing/synching a catalog via Dropbox with 2 different CC accounts?

media kat Level 1

Can a catalog be shared/synced between two separate Macs via Dropbox with 2 different CC accounts?

Thanks.

• 1. Re: Sharing/synching a catalog via Dropbox with 2 different CC accounts?
          Jao vdL Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Yes that should work. The catalog files are not bound to the CC account and so it should open on both machines this way. However I would strongly caution against doing this. There is a VERY large potential for corruption of the catalog file if there is a potential that two people could work on it at the same time. So you have to be very rigorous at making sure that doesn't happen.

P.S. you know that with a single CC account you can install and activate CC on two computers right? So if these computers are used by a single person you don't need two CC subscriptions.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Sharing/synching a catalog via Dropbox with 2 different CC accounts?
            media kat Level 1

Is there a greater increase in the likelihood of file corruption just by the nature of using a service like Dropbox to synch a catalog? OR is the only real issue with the possibility of the same catalog being opened at the same time by two people?

I know about the licensing, the idea is to enable two people to collaborate on a project, that is where this idea came from.

Thanks.

• 3. Re: Sharing/synching a catalog via Dropbox with 2 different CC accounts?
              JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Lightroom is not designed to be multiuser. If one user tries to open the catalog before the update (synchronization) takes place the catalog can be corrupted. If either user closes the catalog before the synchronization is complete, the catalog can be corrupted. You are taking a big risk trying to work this way. Some users have reported success using the catalog in dropbox, but it is not recommended by Adobe. You are on your own if you decide to go this way.

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Sharing/synching a catalog via Dropbox with 2 different CC accounts?
                Jao vdL Adobe Community Professional & MVP

As Jim said, the corruption would happen when you have the catalog open on two computers at the same time and dropbox would be trying to sync changes in the catalog between them. This will not work as a multiuser solution except when you strictly enforce that people only work serially on the catalog and don't leave it open on one. That is really hard to do which is why I cautioned. If you need to be working on the same images at the same time, a better solution is to use bridge on images on a shared network drive (or dropbox folder). This is not really possible using Lightroom. I wish there was a good multiuser solution for Lightroom workflows but there really isn't.

2 people found this helpful