6 Replies Latest reply on Jun 4, 2016 3:16 PM by Per Berntsen

Lightroom- exported jpgs too small

jadziaK

When exporting my raw images into Lightroom I convert them in DNG which are around 28,000 kb.  When I export my images into jpgs they are only around 4-5 MB usually that is sufficient however sometimes I need a larger jpgs. How can I control / increase the size of exported jpgs.  I understand that jpgs are compressed but that is a huge compression.

please help

• 1. Re: Lightroom- exported jpgs too small
          dj_paige Level 9

jadziaK wrote:

When exporting my raw images into Lightroom I convert them in DNG which are around 28,000 kb. When I export my images into jpgs they are only around 4-5 MB usually that is sufficient however sometimes I need a larger jpgs. How can I control / increase the size of exported jpgs. I understand that jpgs are compressed but that is a huge compression.

please help

Megabytes is the wrong number to be looking at. Megapixels (or alternatively width and height in pixels) is the right number to be looking at. You have been misled by looking at the megabytes of the JPG. Your exported JPGs ar most likely fine, which you could see if you actually looked at the exported JPG.

What are the dimensions in pixels of your exported photo? What purpose are you using the photos for (printing, e-mailing, web, etc.)

• 2. Re: Lightroom- exported jpgs too small
            jadziaK Level 1

the test shot for example is 3960x2640 pixels  13.2 x 8.8 inches 300 DPI

As I've said for most of my work that is sufficient but I'd like to have larger file size

• 3. Re: Lightroom- exported jpgs too small
              jadziaK Level 1

Oh and I'm using the images for enlargements

• 4. Re: Lightroom- exported jpgs too small
                dj_paige Level 9

jadziaK wrote:

the test shot for example is 3960x2640 pixels 13.2 x 8.8 inches 300 DPI

As I've said for most of my work that is sufficient but I'd like to have larger file size

No. You want a larger image size, not a larger file size. The image size, in pixels or megapixels, determines whether you can make enlargements or not, and what the quality of those enlargements will be (along with the quality slider setting). The file size is completely and totally irrelevant to the issue of can you make enlargements and does not determine the quality of the image or the quality of any enlargements. To get a larger image size, you can export the photo from Lightroom by enlarging the image in the Image Sizing section of the Lightroom export dialog box.

• 5. Re: Lightroom- exported jpgs too small
                  jadziaK Level 1

Yes, Got it.  Terrific.  Thank you so very much. 

• 6. Re: Lightroom- exported jpgs too small
                    Per Berntsen Adobe Community Professional

The file size of jpgs can vary a great deal, depending on subject matter, sharpening and noise.

An image with large flat areas will compress well, resulting in small file size.

An image with lots of busy detail is much harder to compress, and the file size will be much bigger. Oversharpening and/or noise will also increase the file size.

For more information about the jpg format, take a look here: File formats