2 Replies Latest reply on Jun 4, 2016 2:34 PM by Victoria Bampton LR Queen

Lightroom won't backup

leannet12898602

I have a full C drive due to Lightroom.  I'm trying to do a catalog backup and it will start with the integrity check and then poof it's gone and it takes me back to my desktop and all of Lightroom is closed out.  There isn't a backup and I'm frustrated.  I have 6gb free to do a backup and it won't work.  Any suggestions?  I have the edited images backed up to my external drive by exporting them.  Is there something else that I need to be doing to ensure that I can go back into Lightroom and have my catalog file there to continue?  I need to have my computer guy expand my c: drive and I'm afraid I'm going to lose everything.  Please help!

[Moved from the Community Connections forum to the product-specific support forum - Mod]

• 1. Re: Lightroom won't backup
          dj_paige Level 9

First, make sure you are making the backup to the external drive and not to the C: drive.

Next, exports are not backups! To make a true backup, you need to make an exact copy of all of your photos and of your catalog file, to a different hard disk than the originals.

You probably want to make more free space on your C: drive by moving the photo original files to the external hard drive (and getting another external hard drive for backups). To move the originals to the external hard drive, please scroll down to the instructions in the section entitled "Part 2 -- Updating Folder Location" in this document: Adobe Lightroom - Find moved or missing files and folders

• 2. Re: Lightroom won't backup
            Victoria Bampton LR Queen Adobe Community Professional & MVP

leannet12898602 wrote:

I'm trying to do a catalog backup

As a temporary measure to make sure you have a backup, quit LR and copy the lrcat catalog file (to another drive, as dj_paige suggested)

1 person found this helpful