6 Replies Latest reply on Jun 8, 2016 6:24 AM by ssprengel

Lens Profile Correction in Lightroom/Photoshop

ds4208

I'm fairly new to Lightroom and Photoshop, so pardon what may be very novice questions about lens correction.  I've scoured these boards for help but haven't yet found information that has solved the issue exactly.

I'm using Lightroom CC and Photoshop CC (running on a Mac).  I use a Nikon D750 and the lens in question is a Nikkor 24-120 f/4 VRII.  For the JPEGs in question, I had vignette control turned off in camera to avoid double fixing the issue in LR/PS (and really haven't been satisfied with the in-camera correction).

As many other people have asked about, I have some JPEG files that I'd like to apply the lens correction profile in LR, but none exist for that lens in JPEG.  I've tried the steps that many other people have suggested in many forums (i.e., copying the RAW profile that's located in the Library/Application Support/Adobe/Camera Raw/... folder, changing all of the "stCamera:CameraRawProfile="True"" to "False", and then copying the file back to the same folder and restarting).  I tried to locate the new lens profile using LR and also Camera Raw in Photoshop.  I've closed the programs, restarted, but nothing seems to work. 

Because it wasn't working, I got rid of the new lens profile I copied and instead went into Photoshop, using the "Lens Correction" option in the "Filters" menu (but not in Camera Raw because that didn't work).  In the filter, it recognized the lens and allowed me to do the "Vignette" correction.

So my questions are:

1) Does the copy/text-edit method for adapting the RAW lens profile not work for LR CC or is there some other text in the .lcp file that needs to be changed to make it work? Not sure what I'm doing wrong.
      2) Aside from the inefficiency of having to re-import the Photoshop file back to LR are there any issues with correcting the way I did it using the lens correction filter in PS?  I couldn't seem to find any discussion that has suggested doing it that way, so it wasn't clear to me whether there was a reason not to do so instead.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

• 1. Re: Lens Profile Correction in Lightroom/Photoshop
          ssprengel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Copy the Raw=True-to-False-edited .lcp file to the following folder:

Win: C: \ Users \ *your username* \ AppData \ Roaming \ Adobe \ CameraRaw \ LensProfiles \

Mac: Macintosh HD / Users / *your username* / Library / Application Support / Adobe / CameraRaw / LensProfiles /

• 2. Re: Lens Profile Correction in Lightroom/Photoshop
            ds4208 Level 1

Thanks for helping. I think it's almost working now, but still not quite.  When I put the file in that folder, restart lightroom and click on Enable Profile Corrections, this time the correct make ("Nikon") and model ("Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 24-120mm f/4G ED VR") are populated, but the profile entry doesn't match what's in the .lcp file, and there's a warning message under the slider bar that says "unable to load lens profile".

The text editor has the following: stCamera:ProfileName="Adobe (Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 24-120mm f/4G ED VR) v2"

LR is showing: Nikon D3X - Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 24-120mm f/4G ED VR

• 3. Re: Lens Profile Correction in Lightroom/Photoshop

Unable to load lens profile seems like it'd be a problem.  I wonder if your text editor removed line breaks or added them or change the encoding to something different.  You might redo the true-to-false edit and see if things work any better.  If I modify an .lcp on Windows I use Notepad instead of Wordpad, because Notepad preserves the end-of-line characters and the encoding.

The text you see LR's list may not be ProfileName it may be the lens name or lens pretty name or something else.  You might want to change each of the human-readable descriptions to have a different version:  v2a. v 2b, v 2c, etc, so you can tell which one is actually being used.

Or if that description is replicated for each profile entry then you might need to change them all not just the first one.

• 4. Re: Lens Profile Correction in Lightroom/Photoshop
                Abambo Level 4

As a general tip, I suggest you shoot raw, if anyhow you want edit your pictures in Lightroom. It makes no sense to me to shoot JPEG and edit the files with a tool like Lightroom. It makes sens if you do not have access to the raw files, to enhance pictures that are JPEG.

• 5. Re: Lens Profile Correction in Lightroom/Photoshop
                  marijne29654045

Does anyone know if the Nikkor 10-100mm f/4.o-5.6 VR lens is in the latest version of LR? At the moment I am using the trial version (CC 2015.5.1) and I can't find it. But it should be there....

• 6. Re: Lens Profile Correction in Lightroom/Photoshop

It is, but most lens profiles are only for raw format.