8 Replies Latest reply on Jun 5, 2016 1:58 PM by Abambo

LR deletes all images in a folder instead of single image

kl34443051

What’s going on? Trying to edit a photo shot with a little less than 300 images all in the same folder. When I delete one image, all image in the folder gets deleted. Have  restarted both program and computer and re-imported the files from the camera cards two times. Anybody have any idea?

• 1. Re: LR deletes all images in a folder instead of single image
          Just Shoot Me Adobe Community Professional

Are you sure you haven't accidentally selected all the images in the folder?

Are you clicking on the actual image you want to delete then looked at what it actually says?

When you have one image selected and you right click on that image the selection is Remove Image

With more than one image selected it will read Remove Images ( and S at the end of Image, Image"S")

Are you in Grid view? Are you selecting the image in the grid view?

Please go through the exact steps you are using.

• 2. Re: LR deletes all images in a folder instead of single image
            kl34443051 Level 1

No I have not selected allt he images in the folder. It only happens when I have an individual image open in Loupe view. At one point I deleted a few in Loupe view and things appeared to be working normally, but than suddenly all were deleted. As far as I can tell I can delete individual images in Grid view.

I’m not new to the program, I’ve used Lightroom for years. Can it have something to do with the presets like “Creator” to do? I have a profile of the previous owner of my camera showing up, and I have to manually select all images and change them to my own. But, I always make sure to click off after this to make sure that all are not selected.

Thanks for the tip with the “s” at least that would indicate avoiding to reinstall the images.

Any help is appreciated as I now don’t trust the program and would avoid deleting any images.

• 3. Re: LR deletes all images in a folder instead of single image

If at any time you have all images selected you have to either click some other place in the grid view, off of (away from), any selected image area or go to Edit>Select None to de-select all the images. With all images selected that are displayed in the Grid View LR will move the Major focus to the newly clicked on image instead of De-Selecting all of them and selecting only that one image. That leaves all the images selected and only changes the Major focus to the newly clicked on image.

What type of computer are you using, Mac or Win.

In any event you should get a dialog box with 3 options when you select to Remove Photo/S. With one photo select it states Delete the SELECTED MASTER PHOTO. With multiple images selected it says Delete the (Number of images that are selected) Selected Master PhotoS (Note the S and that the number of images you about to delete and or remove from the catalog is listed). You really need to start reading those dialog boxes.

I asked this already but don't see it in your last post.

The actual Steps you are taking to remove images from either just the LR catalog file or from the catalog and the drive.

The actual steps are important to helping solve this problem or reporting it as a BUG.

I personally don't have this problem. I just ran a bunch of test and have not removed all images from a folder without having them all selected. And then I clearly get a dialog box that states exactly what I am doing and asks 2 questions, Delete from Disk or just Remove from catalog, and has a Cancel button to stop what I'm about to do.

I think your Anti-Trust is focused in the wrong place. LR does not Willy-Nilly Delete images without user input and actions. At least not in my 9+ years of using LR.

• 4. Re: LR deletes all images in a folder instead of single image

Also LR should be placing these deleted images in the Recycle bin, Windows, or the Trash Can, Mac so you don't have to keep re-importing them from the memory card. All you have to do is Restore them to where they were deleted from and then Sync that folder in LR or run the import again.

• 5. Re: LR deletes all images in a folder instead of single image
                  trshaner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

kl34443051 wrote:

I have a profile of the previous owner of my camera showing up, and I have to manually select all images and change them to my own.

You can change the Owner Name and Copyright information that is being added in-camera:

Canon DLC: Article: Adding Copyright information to your images

Refer to your camera manual for other brands.

• 6. Re: LR deletes all images in a folder instead of single image
                    Abambo Adobe Community Professional

Can't have to do something with anything except selection of more then one picture!

You need to change (c) and owner information in your camera menu. Its easy. But you may also change it during import operation. But I would change it at the source.

• 7. Re: LR deletes all images in a folder instead of single image
                      trshaner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Feierwoon wrote:

Can't have to do something with anything except selection of more then one picture!

That is exactly what the OP is doing on every import, "I have to manually select all images and change them to my own."

It's very possible the images may remain selected due to human failure....and then all get deleted when deleting one (1) image file. By changing the Owner and Copyright information in-camera it eliminates this additional step....and perhaps the "mysterious" file deletions.

• 8. Re: LR deletes all images in a folder instead of single image
                        Abambo Adobe Community Professional

No. If you do it during import, you will not have selected pictures. If you change ownership after import, you need to select the pictures first. Its a little bit confusing for me too, that the pictures are kept in selection, depending on where I click on an image. I suppose that this is what is happening.