9 Replies Latest reply on Jun 7, 2006 3:17 PM by Newsgroup_User

Need help creating drop menus - DMennenoh?

Level 7
      Hi there, I'm pretty new to Action script - I'm trying to build a series
      of buttons with drop menus - I've built a movie clip button then within
      the movie clip button on the "over" frame I have the menu button which
      is also a movieclip button.

So obviously what I want to happen is.... when the main button is rolled
      over, the menu buttons appear and rollover effects happen as they should.

I've got the following action script in the first frame of the main timeline

profile_mc.onRollOver=function(){profile_mc.gotoAndStop("over");}
      profile_mc.onRollOut=function(){profile_mc.gotoAndStop("up");}

That works fine... it's THAT over state that the menu button appears...
      But it doesn't seem to matter what I do how I add the directional script
      the actions of the button won't work. Can anyone help me with where I'm
      going wrong?

profie_mc is the instance of the button with the menu attached...

Here is the URL for the fla file (FlashMX)
      http://artnsoulgraphicdesign.com/testNEW_29-05-06.fla

I want to create something similar to http://www.blurredistinction.com/
      I don't necessaruily need the sliding part... just to appear and to
      rollover would be great. I've been at this for at least 3 weeks so far
      and it's driving me nuts... if I can figure out how to do one then the
      rest should just fall in....

Many thanks for any assistance received.

Kind regards
      Piers Le Sueur
        • 1. Re: Need help creating drop menus - DMennenoh?
          Craig Grummitt Level 3
          Afraid once a parent(eg profile_mc) has a button event handler (eg onRollOver), any children (eg profile_mc.testplay_mc) don't get notified of any button events.

i briefly explained a possible solution to this problem here and here but to help you out further, i've tweaked your flash file here to demonstrate how this could be done. hopefully this resolves your issue for you.

craig
          • 2. Re: Need help creating drop menus - DMennenoh?
            Level 7
            Thank you so much Craig,
            The file you gave me back is the same technique I used originally....
            however, the problem is that if I butt them up to each other, if you
            roll the mouse over them horizontally - they "stick", also the links you
            provided 404's on me. Are they still valid?

I guess really at the end of the day I want to achieve something like
            this.....

http://www.blurredistinction.com/

Any ideas on how you go about building these, or at least a tutorial
            somewhere???...

Thank you so much for your time. Very much appreciated.

Kind Regards
            Piers
            • 3. Re: Need help creating drop menus - DMennenoh?
              Craig Grummitt Level 3
              i'm not sure why those links don't work - try searching for "Building submenus/rollout menus" in the Actionscript forum.

since your message i had another quick look at the fla i posted and tidied it up a little - removed some redundant action script at lower levels(some of which you may need to put back in - especially whatever you want to happen on click) etc - you'll see - i've reposted it. i also put some more buttons in to show you it working with several buttons. i'm not sure what your problem is with this technique. or what exactly is 'sticking'?
              • 4. Re: Need help creating drop menus - DMennenoh?
                Level 7
                Thanks again Craig, ummm any chance you could save that what you did
                back to MX? I don't have MX2004 8-(

While I was at work I downloaded the v8 Trial so I could open your
                file.... I think you're using the "invisible" button trick to return the
                over state back to the up state... that works GREAT!!!! and I had that
                pegged until I wanted to butt two menus together. So if you take the
                sample you made ... butt all the menu buttons together THEN run your
                mouse horizontally through them all and you get the sticking .... so I
                want to create a menu system that circumvents that.

Also not sure where to find your repost... bear in mind I'm trying to
                achieve this effect...
                http://www.blurredistinction.com/ with my style buttons/menu.... I've
                almost got there playing around... see my sample here..
                http://www.testagain.fla.zip the only problem is I can't get the menu
                item AND the button to revert to the up state. It either stays stuck on
                over, or dances between the top and bottom bit.

It shouldn't be this/that difficult - should it?

If anyone else is seeing this and can steer me to a good tutorial on
                this - I'm all ears...

Kindest Regards
                Piers

Mega thanks

Craig Grummitt wrote:
                > i'm not sure why those links don't work - try searching for "Building
                > submenus/rollout menus" in the Actionscript forum.
                >
                > since your message i had another quick look at the fla i posted and tidied it
                > up a little - removed some redundant action script at lower levels(some of
                > which you may need to put back in - especially whatever you want to happen on
                > click) etc - you'll see - i've reposted it. i also put some more buttons in to
                > show you it working with several buttons. i'm not sure what your problem is
                > with this technique. or what exactly is 'sticking'?
                >
                • 5. Re: Need help creating drop menus - DMennenoh?
                  Craig Grummitt Level 3
                  i just googled submenu and flash and found this tutorial for you which you may find of interest.
                  hopefully this link works! by the way i couldn't see your attempts with the link you provided.

so is your 'sticking' problem that when you rollover another menu item, the previous menu item doesn't return to its original state? wouldn't the solution to that problem be simply to return all other menu items to their original states when you rollover another menu item?

i dunno. maybe is there a website out there that you want your site to work similar to?

craig
                  • 6. Re: Need help creating drop menus - DMennenoh?
                    Level 7
                    Ahhh thanks Craig!!!!!... I checked out the page, and downloaded the
                    sample file.... I tried butting the two menu buttons and it worked!!!!!!

So there is a workable basis for me to work from.... now I just need to
                    try and employ that method to my buttons and scenario and see what happens.

Craig Grummitt wrote:
                    so is your 'sticking' problem that when you rollover another menu item, the
                    > previous menu item doesn't return to its original state? wouldn't the solution
                    > to that problem be simply to return all other menu items to their original
                    > states when you rollover another menu item?

Yes though don't know how to script that...

>i dunno. maybe is there a website out there that you want your site to
                    work
                    > similar to?
                    If you check out the link in my previous post... blurredistinction.com -
                    I don't need the sliding action in the menus, just that they appear, if
                    I can learn how to make them slide later - all the better....

Thanks so much for the tutorial link... I think that's what is going to
                    get me moving forward!

Kind Regards
                    Piers
                    • 7. Re: Need help creating drop menus - DMennenoh?
                      Level 7
                      OOOpss.. re that file I made for you to look at....
                      http://www.artnsoulgraphicdesign.com/testagain.fla.zip

Sorry it was a bit late at night... wasn't concentrating enough!

Kind Regards
                      Piers
                      • 8. Re: Need help creating drop menus - DMennenoh?
                        Craig Grummitt Level 3
                        >>i dunno. maybe is there a website out there that you want your site to
                        work
                        >> similar to?
                        >If you check out the link in my previous post... blurredistinction.com -
                        >I don't need the sliding action in the menus, just that they appear, if
                        >I can learn how to make them slide later - all the better....

Piers - I was joking! you'd already mentioned blurredistinction.com three times - now it's four!
                        • 9. Re: UREKA!!!!! Problem solved!
                          Level 7
                          Thanks so much for that Adobe Tech note link!!!!!!! I kinda followed it
                          with my own buttons and what not, and adapted as I went as I could see
                          exactly what they were doing!!!!.. so it all works now!!! Good thing is
                          I've come across some other great how tos!! for any thing else should
                          the need arise!!!

Thank you again!!! ...

Warmest Regards
                          Piers

Craig Grummitt wrote:
                          >>>i dunno. maybe is there a website out there that you want your site to
                          >
                          > work
                          > >> similar to?
                          > >If you check out the link in my previous post... blurredistinction.com -
                          > >I don't need the sliding action in the menus, just that they appear, if
                          > >I can learn how to make them slide later - all the better....
                          >
                          > Piers - I was joking! you'd already mentioned blurredistinction.com three
                          > times - now it's four!
                          >