8 Replies Latest reply on Aug 6, 2016 6:46 PM by Bill Gehrke

nvidia cards in laptop workstations

bs32889036

I'm looking to purchase a laptop very soon and will be installing Adobe CC.

The standard video card in most seems to top out at the nvidia m2000m, (hp, msi, from B&H).

Can anyone recommend a laptop brand that is built with a better performing video card (or will the 2000m suffice) ?

Most reviews from Adobe users do not seem to be very positive for this particular card...seems to be lacking in many regards.

I'll be doing run & gun video shoots, using canon xa10, with quick "overnight" edits, mostly footage, some AE for text and effects, projected on to 16x9 video screen, 1080p projection.

Thanks for any and all suggestions...

• 1. Re: nvidia cards in laptop workstations
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I don't use a laptop, but some previous discussions that may help

Laptop Video Editing PC discussion - http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1369220?tstart=0

-Laptop to edit 4k red video http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1108124

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: nvidia cards in laptop workstations
            JFPhoton Level 3

With the codec coming from your camera, a solid Asus gaming laptop should be fine...or, similar.  Your camera records either 24fps or 30 fps of 1080p AVCHD.

Being that your camera does not shoot 4K, even a slightly older model laptop could be considered, if your budget is limited. My 2014 Asus G750JW works fine with 1080p, like your camera generates, even with multiple tracks of video and effects.

Newer laptop models offer much better performance and options...especially for higher speed storage, which is important to best performance.

General recommedations :

1. Choose a laptop which either has 32 GB of system memory already on board,OR, that has free and ACCESSIBLE slots for you to add memory yourself. Tests have shown that recent versions of PPro make use of larger amounts of system memory, when available. 16GB is OK,but, less than ideal.....32 is best for a minimum with the current PPro.

2. You MUST have a laptop with a higher level discreet NVidia GPU to get CUDA accelerated performance....NO AMD !! At least 4 GB of DDR 5 video memory should be on that GPU.  A 970m 0r 980m would be great.

3. The current 6700 HQ or better intel i7 CPU is what you want. Although "only" a 4 core, ( 8 thread), CPU, its performance is good due to its "turbo speed" on all threads under load.

4. The speed of the storage drives in a laptop is crucial to good performance......using ANY spinning ,mechanical hard drive in the editing process wil GIMP performance. Select a model that can provide flexibility. Some Asus models come with a fast SSD as the boot drive....some even with a newer PCI SSD connected to an M.2 slot for incredible speed. THEN, a 1 TB standard spinning HD is included in a 2.5" HDD bay. If this is the case, you would want to take out the spinning HDD and replace it with Crucial MX200 SATA III SSD, ( or, Samsung 850 Pro SSD ), and make THAT your boot drive, while using the incredibly fast PCI SSD as the drive holding your media, project files, previews, exports, and cache files. You want your media to be on the fastest drive you have for best performance.

At least, select a machine that allows you to have a minimum of two separate SSDs....one for boot, and one for all other files except OS,programs, and Windows page file...which should be the only files on your boot drive.

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: nvidia cards in laptop workstations
              Bill Gehrke Adobe Community Professional & MVP

If you do not feel comfortable upgrading your laptop you might want a custom built laptop configured to your exact requirements.  Check with an extremely knowledgeable forum contributor Eric Bowen at ADK

• 4. Re: nvidia cards in laptop workstations
                bs32889036 Level 1

Thanks for posting the previous links, very helpful indeed.

• 5. Re: nvidia cards in laptop workstations
                  bs32889036 Level 1

thanks for that very informative update.  You are correct regarding the specs for my camera ( i didn't take the time to go into detail ).

I should add that I've been using an HP Elitebook 8540 / with CS6 Production suite, which served me well for the last 5 years.  It finally gave out while putting together a "demo" for a potential client.  I have a DELL inspiron 13/7000 for MS applications, onto which I was able to download the Adobe CC Demo software, and produce a successful video reel, which landed me the gig ( 2 weeks from now).

I've built desktop workstations before, and plan to again in the future, but for now I need a (better) laptop workstation to travel with, soon.

That being said, I've looked further into the B&H catalog.  My budget is around $2500.

They have the HP ZBook G3 17" with the following specs:

• 2.6 GHz Intel Core i7-6700HQ Quad-Core
                  • 16GB of 2133 MHz DDR4 RAM (can & will upgrade to 64gb)
                  • NVIDIA Quadro M3000M Graphics Card (4GB GDDR5 VRam)
                  • 512GB Z Turbo Drive PCIe SSD PCIe Flash Based
                  • Thunderbolt 3 + DP1.2 via USB 3.1 Type-C
                  • 4 total drive bays "two that support 2.5" / 7mm drives and two that support M.2 drives

I've read several forums that suggest it's a good idea to either (1) add an additional internal SSD drive to run OS and project/cache, with the 2nd SSD being used for media storage, and/or (2) run OS & project/cache on internal SSD, and use an external usb 3.1 drive for media/storage....I'm comfortable with either option.

Just curious if these specs are solid enough to run Premiere and basic AE CC 2015 for the near future, particularly the graphics card...is it enough?

Would love to do an ADK build, but not enough time for this one.

Thanks in advance to any and all recommendations!

• 6. Re: nvidia cards in laptop workstations
                    bs32889036 Level 1

Thanks for recommendation.

Looks like he does excellent work, will consider in the future.

Not enough time for custom build @ this time though...

• 7. Re: nvidia cards in laptop workstations
                      Rowby Level 1

Thanks for the specs.

Can you (or anyone else) recommend some specific laptop models that meet all of these specs?

thanks

Rowby

• 8. Re: nvidia cards in laptop workstations
                        Bill Gehrke Adobe Community Professional & MVP

One of my favorite laptops currently is the MSI GT72S Dominator Pro.  There are several versions of this available.  But laptops change almost daily.  I am now hunting for a laptop that comes with the new OEM Samsung SM961 M.2 SSD's.