10 Replies Latest reply on Jul 14, 2016 9:00 PM by wobertc

Can I start a new photo book until I have one in run?

melaniel64754588

Hi, I am now working on a photo book on Lightroom 5 and I would like to stard another one at a same time.  Will it erase my first one or I can do 2 photo books at a time??

• 1. Re: Can I start a new photo book until I have one in run?
          Tanuj Sandal Adobe Employee

Hi Melaniel,

No, it will not erase the older book.

And you can create a newer book while you had a previously book.

Regards

Tanuj

• 2. Re: Can I start a new photo book until I have one in run?
            melaniel64754588 Level 1

are you really sure of that because if it erases my boyfriend 250 pages photo book wich he's now working on, I think he will not be happy!! :/

• 3. Re: Can I start a new photo book until I have one in run?

Yes, you can save the previous book and start a new one.

There will be a option for " Create saved book"

• 4. Re: Can I start a new photo book until I have one in run?
                melaniel64754588 Level 1

thank you, I tried and its okay   Maybe you can help me more with another problem... When I stard my new photo book, how can I import my photos in Lightroom without taking them out of my computer photo folder (it happened last time)!

• 5. Re: Can I start a new photo book until I have one in run?
                  Michael J. Hoffman Adobe Community Professional

Just to illustrate Tanuj's point:

2016-06-06_14-40-59.jpg

Saved books are found in the Collections panel so that you can return to them later. Saved books include a collection of the photos included as well as the book layout and settings.

Mike

1 person found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: Can I start a new photo book until I have one in run?

You are welcome, glad you are able to work.

You can import images in Lightroom the usual way, and select the images and click on Book module.

Once you click on Book module only the selected images will show in Lightroom book module.

• 7. Re: Can I start a new photo book until I have one in run?
                      wobertc Adobe Community Professional

Maybe this workflow may help your questions-

1. Start a new Book by creating a ‘Standard’ Collection of chosen images.
                      2. Select all images in the 'Standard' Collection, Goto the Book Module (Top Module  Menu)
                      3. Set Book Preferences from the top menu- “Book > Book Preferences”
                      4. In Book Preferences- Set “Zoom to Fit”- on.  (Can always ‘Zoom to Fill’ later if wanted)
                      5. In Book Preferences- Turn off “Start new books by autofilling”
                      6. Create a “Saved Book” by- CTRL+S, or Click the Tab [Create Saved Book], or from the [Book] Menu.
                      7. Name your Book design as you want it to appear in the Collection Panel.
                      8. In the [Auto Layout] Panel click the Drop-down menu for [Preset:]
                      9. Edit your preferred “Auto Layout Preset”  (One Photo per Page,…. Etc)
                      10. Make your book design from the images on the film strip- ‘Manually’ by adding pages and images one-by-one, OR- press [Auto Layout] in the Auto Layout Panel.
                      11. Exit the Book Module, back to Library Grid view.
                      12. DELETE the ‘Standard’ Collection used to start the new book- you will never need this again!
                      13. ALWAYS RE-OPEN YOUR BOOK design by clicking the WHITE ARROW at the end of the “BOOK Collection” in the Collections panel. (It is shown with an icon that looks like a Book!)
                      14. To Add more photos to your Book- Exit the Book Module to the Library Grid view, Select one or more photos, and drag them onto the “BOOK Collection” in the Collections Panel. Re-open the book as in 12.
                      15. Add your photos to “New” pages in your book by dragging them from the Film-strip onto a page.
                      16. NEVER click on [Auto Layout] or [Clear Layout] again, unless you want to start afresh.
                      17. For ‘Copies’ of a book- Right-click the Book Collection and “Duplicate”. Remove or add photos as wanted in the ‘new’ Book Collection (Not in the Book Module).
                      • 8. Re: Can I start a new photo book until I have one in run?
                        melaniel64754588 Level 1

thanks for all your answers!  It helped!  But now, I'm unable to find my photobook I've started few weeks ago!  My boyfriend have made 2 new photobooks since then, I can see both of them but not mine!  And at the same time, the answer to my question will help me to see all the photobooks I've done since the beginning, wright?

• 9. Re: Can I start a new photo book until I have one in run?

If you have not created a saved book collection then- No, you will not have or see any book you may have been working on. It is lost when you re-enter the Book module with another selection of images.

Step 6) in the workflow post above is essential, otherwise your work is lost.

ScreenShot068.jpg

When 'Saved' you will see your Book in the Collections panel from where you can re-open it to edit at any time in the future. (Step 13 in above workflow)

My saved books I place in a 'Folder SET' (appropriately called "BOOKS" ) Note the small 'Book' icons!

ScreenShot067.jpg

If you think you did 'Create a saved book' , scroll through ALL the collections looking for the 'Book' icon. Your book may be at the bottom of the collections list, (or hiding in another collection SET folder)

• 10. Re: Can I start a new photo book until I have one in run?

how can I import my photos in Lightroom without taking them out of my computer photo folder

When you Import you must use the "ADD" option at the top of the import screen. This leaves your images exactly in the computer photo folder where you placed them earlier.

Lightroom does not contain your images it only makes a database reference to their location on your hard-drive.