16 Replies Latest reply on Jun 7, 2016 8:00 AM by Abambo

InDesign TIFF problem

john_1985 Level 1

Hello,

I am using InDesign (Adobe InDesign CC 2015 11.0.0.72 Build) to create a new document in

which I want to import a TIFF file with ZIP (deflate) compression (My software created this TIFF file).

But ID gives me the following error when I try to add the image to the document:

“Error encountered while reading TIFF image. Image may be damaged or incompatible. Resave the image with different settings and try again.”

I am developing a Java program that uses the latest version of JAI image io (jai_imageio.jar) and I tried all versions of this jar out there.

I have written a small test application to verify that TIFF files with ZIP compression (deflate) generated with JAI image io cannot be opened in InDesign.

If I use other compression schemes it works fine.

If I resave the generated TIFF file with Photoshop, also using ZIP compression... then it will open correctly in InDesign.

Looking at the file info -> raw data in Photoshop for both files I see that the resaved file has some settings changed, such as the compression.

For the original it has this value: <tiff:Compression>32946</tiff:Compression>

And for the resaved file: <tiff:Compression>8</tiff:Compression>

But I think these mean the same.

Clearly I am missing something here.

So here is my question:

What can I do to be able to generate TIFF files with ZIP compression that open correctly in Adobe InDesign?

Regards,

Jan