35 Replies Latest reply on Jul 12, 2018 5:40 PM by timothyi34297763

Email before download?

timothyi34297763 Level 1

I would like to offer free downloads to people who leave there email address. How do I create a form that will allow a download to start after an email has been entered, or redirect to s secure page with the link?

There is a wordpress plugin and was wondering if there was a Dreamweaver alternative?

Email Before Download — WordPress Plugins

Once I compile a list of emails is there software to manage them? how and where would the form store the emails? Would they simply email me the email addresses? There has to be something more efficient right?

• 1. Re: Email before download?
          David_Powers Adobe Community Professional

To do this you need a knowledge of a server-side language such as PHP. You create the form in Dreamweaver using HTML, but the processing script needs to be hand-coded. The normal way to store data submitted by the user would be in a database.

The question is whether you have any knowledge of PHP (or another server-side language)? It's also important to find out whether your web server supports server-side scripting and a database.

You can do everything in Dreamweaver, but it won't do it automatically for you.

2 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Email before download?
            timothyi34297763 Level 1

Thank you for your reply! I have a little knowledge with php. I created my own contact form on my website and use and set up a php to handle encrypted download links. But when it comes to something like offering a download only after an email has been entered, then I haven't a clue. Is the database sql?

• 3. Re: Email before download?
              Nancy OShea Adobe Community Professional & MVP

This is more complex than it seems on the surface.

What's to prevent people from entering a bogus email address?

If you want to do this right, you should verify the email address first.

Nancy O.

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Email before download?
                timothyi34297763 Level 1

No kidding, have a look at this -- way may convoluted than I first thought and requiring to many other services (paid for not to mention).

How To: Send a Secure File after Someone Signs Up on your MailChimp Form | How To Web Tutorials by Digioh

Something like the above would be perfect if I could do it all manually (especially host the file)

No matter how long it takes me or how difficult, this is something i need to learn. Any help, guidance, links, videos would be great!

• 5. Re: Email before download?
                  osgood_ Level 8

Why don't you automatically email the download link back to the email address which was submitted.

Anyone can enter anything into the email form field and get taken to the download link but only those that are genuine will be able to download anything if the download link is sent to their email address. Not many people are going to bother to set up a 'fake' email account just to download something which is free.

Simple php code example below. Someone supplies their email address and is then emailed the download link. There's plenty of options you could add - store the email address in a database, post a message to the page saying an email with the download link has been sent to your email address etc etc.

Just change the xxxxxx which is in the code below to the email address to which you want the form information to be emailed to:

$to = 'xxxxxx@xxxxxxxxxx.com';

Save the file as - send_email.php

Obviously you need to have a server capable of running php.

<?php

if(isset($_POST['submit'])) {

// get email address from form field and store in a variable called $email_address

$email_address = $_POST['email_address'];

// an email address associated with your server

$from = 'webmaster@yourdomain.com';

// your email address where you wish to receive mail

$to = 'xxxxxx@xxxxxxxxxx.com';

// email subject

$subject = "Email Address";

// headers

$headers = "From:$from\r\nReply-to:$email_address";

// email message

$body = "Email Address: $email_address";

// send mail

mail ($to, $subject, $body, $from);

// email address to which you wish to send download link is $email_adddress

$to = $email_address;

// email subject

$subject = 'Free download link';

// download link - change to your download link

$download_link = '<a href="http://www.bbc.co.uk">Click to download</a>';

// send email as html

$headers  = 'MIME-Version: 1.0' . "\r\n";

$headers .= 'Content-type: text/html; charset=iso-8859-1' . "\r\n";

$headers .= "From: $from\r\nReply-to: $email_address";

// email message

$message = '<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/loose.dtd">

<html>

<head>

<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=UTF-8">

<title>Free Download Link</title>

</head>

<body>

<table width="100%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" border="0">

<tr>

<td style="padding: 50px 0 0 0;">

<table width="530" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" border="0" style="margin: 0 auto; border: 1px solid #1a3366;">

<tr>

<td style="padding: 30px; text-align: center;">

<h3>Your download link: </h3><p>'.$download_link.'</p>

</td>

</tr>

</table>

</td>

</tr>

</table>

</body>

</html>';

// send mail

mail($to, $subject, $message, $headers);

}

?>

<!DOCTYPE html>

<html >

<head>

<meta charset="UTF-8" />

</head>

<body>

<form name="email_address" method="post" action="send_email.php">

<label for="email_address">Email address<br>

<input type="text" name="email_address">

</label>

<input type="submit" name="submit" value="Submit">

</form>

</body>

</html>

• 6. Re: Email before download?

osgood_ wrote:

// email address to which you wish to send download link is $email_adddress

$to = $email_address;

What a brilliant idea! Turn your website into a spam relay.

Seriously, osgood, this is a terrible idea, letting an unfiltered value from an online form to be used as an argument to the PHP mail() function. Have you never heard of email header injection?

• 7. Re: Email before download?
                      osgood_ Level 8

Yes you would need to add a filter to the code to check the information from the email form field only contains the allowed characters.

The idea here is to provide an insight into the process of how this could possibly be done. Its really then up to the OP to make sure the information  from the form fields goes through some kind of validation process.

I dont think either  you or nancy wrere very helpful in your original replies as both offered nothing other than a bit of waffle about the bloody obvious, which an OP probaby find s less than helpful.

Yes of course sometimes the code provided needs some attention before its right or secure but providing some code as a starting point is better than providing nothing at all as in your case and still when you point out a problem you only waffle

If you dont like what you see then can l suggest that you at least provide a solution of your own that you are happy with.

• 8. Re: Email before download?

I may be wrong here but I think the OP needs to make this work with his MailChimp account.

• 9. Re: Email before download?
                          osgood_ Level 8

Nancy O. wrote:

I may be wrong here but I think the OP needs to make this work with his MailChimp account.

Could be - I dont know as they didn't mention MailChimp in their initial post so maybe after some negative advice they just did a google search and found something which related to what they needed.

Unless they come back we probably wont know - they may have decided its too difficult when infact its quite easy if they have full control over it.

• 10. Re: Email before download?

osgood_ wrote:

I dont think either you or nancy wrere very helpful in your original replies as both offered nothing other than a bit of waffle about the bloody obvious, which an OP probaby find s less than helpful.

What Nancy and I wrote might seem obvious to you, but without knowing whether the OP has any knowledge of server-side scripting or even if it's supported on the website, offering concrete advice was impossible.

Once the OP confirmed some knowledge of PHP and that PHP was available, you jumped in with a proposed solution. I'm sure you offered it in good faith, but a solution that ignores basic security is less than helpful.

Before using an email address submitted from an online form, it should be passed to the filter_input() function.

$email_address = filter_input(INPUT_POST, 'email_address', FILTER_VALIDATE_EMAIL);

The first and third arguments are PHP constants, the second argument is the name of the input field. This returns the submitted value if it's in the valid format for an email address. It also accepts only a single email address. Otherwise, it returns false. The rest of the script should be wrapped in a conditional statement to prevent any emails from being sent if $email_address is false.

There's a mismatch of encodings in your script. Your form uses UTF-8, as does the body of the HTML email, but you're using iso-8859-1 as the encoding in the email headers. With unaccented English, this won't cause a problem, but the same encoding should be used throughout.

I think the main problem with your suggested approach is that it doesn't really address the original request. The OP wants people to be able to get the free download only if they provide an email address. Your solution sends the user an unprotected link, which could then be distributed to others.

A very simple way to do this would be to have a form that asks for an email address, and process it like this:

<?php

if (isset($_POST['submit'])) {

$email_address = filter_input(INPUT_POST, 'email_address', FILTER_VALIDATE_EMAIL);

if ($email_address) {

// Insert email address in to database

// This needs to be handled separately

// Download the file

$download = '/path/to/download/file';

header('Content-Type: application/octet-stream');

header('Content-Length: ' . filesize($download));

header('Content-Disposition: attachment; filename=' . basename($download));

header('Content-Transfer-Encoding: binary');

readfile($download);

}

}

?>

However, as Nancy says, this isn't necessarily a simple operation. It depends on the level of control that is required over downloads.

My solution (which doesn't include the code for inserting the email address into a database) doesn't check that the email address is genuine. So a lot of submitted addresses are likely to be for Mickey Mouse or Donald Duck. Sending an email to the user with a link will get around that problem, but unless the link is protected in some way, anybody can use it.

A better solution would be to send a link with a one-time token appended to the URL as a query string, and to store the token along with the email address. When the link is followed, the script would need to look up the email address and token before triggering the download. The token would also need to be deleted from the database to prevent reuse.

Other considerations:

• Will the user be allowed to download the same file again?
                            • Will multiple files be available for download?
                            • Will there be a privacy policy regarding the storage of email addresses?
                            • Is there a desire to keep a record of the downloads made by an individual?

As I said originally, it can all be done in Dreamweaver, but Dreamweaver won't do it automatically. There are a lot of factors to consider.

• 11. Re: Email before download?
                              osgood_ Level 8

David_Powers wrote:

My solution (which doesn't include the code for inserting the email address into a database) doesn't check that the email address is genuine. So a lot of submitted addresses are likely to be for Mickey Mouse or Donald Duck. Sending an email to the user with a link will get around that problem, but unless the link is protected in some way, anybody can use it.

Still think a better option is the way I provided after of course filtering the email adddress at the point of entry. At the moment all your solution does is allow anyone like the mickey mouse to have access to the download which rather defeats the objective and I should imagine irritate the receiver.

• 12. Re: Email before download?
                                osgood_ Level 8

David_Powers wrote:

Your solution sends the user an unprotected link, which could then be distributed to others.

You cant be serious? That's one better than than the solution you supplied which anyone can access without supplying a genuine email address. Of course as I said in my original post anyone can set up a fake email address for the purposes but most wont if its a free download. But they will provide a fake email address if they are allowed to.

• 13. Re: Email before download?

Read the original post:

How do I create a form that will allow a download to start after an email has been entered,

That's exactly what the code I provided does, but it does have the not inconsiderable disadvantage that there's no check on the email being a genuine one. I made that quite clear.

Also read my post in its entirety, specifically this section:

A better solution would be to send a link with a one-time token appended to the URL as a query string, and to store the token along with the email address. When the link is followed, the script would need to look up the email address and token before triggering the download. The token would also need to be deleted from the database to prevent reuse.

Crafting the most appropriate solution depends on the nature of the free downloads, and why an email address is requested.

• 14. Re: Email before download?

This is all moot.  OP hasn't told us enough to give an appropriate answer except in broadest terms.

• 15. Re: Email before download?
                                      osgood_ Level 8

David_Powers wrote:

Read the original post:

How do I create a form that will allow a download to start after an email has been entered,

I think you missed this part out:

'or redirect to s secure page with the link'?

neither way is good as it allows any old tom, dick and harry email to be entered. At least if you send an auto-respond with a download link 90% of emails will be genuine or at least a good percentage more will be.

David_Powers wrote:

Also read my post in its entirety, specifically this section:

I did read that and I agree but that becomes a much more complex approach and probably can't be addressed in the forum.

• 16. Re: Email before download?

osgood_ wrote:

'or redirect to s secure page with the link'?

Yes, I did. It begins with "or". It's an alternative request.

The OP wants the user to provide an email before downloading. As we've both pointed out, that leaves the system open to a dummy email address being provided.

The alternative request was to redirect to a secure page. So presumably your solution of an unprotected page also falls short of the requirements.

As Nancy points out, it's all moot without further information. Hopefully, this exchange has alerted the OP to all the various things that need to be considered when trying to set up something like this.

• 17. Re: Email before download?
                                          osgood_ Level 8

David_Powers wrote:

osgood_ wrote:

'or redirect to s secure page with the link'

The alternative request was to redirect to a secure page. So presumably your solution of an unprotected page also falls short of the requirements.

You can easily protect the page by sending them to the submit email page and requesting the email - all you need to do is pass a variable in the download link which checks they have permission to access the download page.

• 18. Re: Email before download?
                                            timothyi34297763 Level 1

Wow guys! Thank you so much for all your input. I will thoroughly go through it all while I'm also picking up bits of information to go on.

For now, I searching for "php" submit a form before a file downloads and this provides more specific information I think.

Also, I don't have a mailchimp account and cannot afford one at the moment so any sort of paid for product on a continual basis is entirely out of the question, so I will need to do all the heavy lifting myself, no matter how long or ardous a task it is. Thankfully I have you guys to count on

Here is evidence of the little bit of php I'm familar with. I created this page

Touch The Universe Productions - Audio Label and Sound Design - Booking and Audio Demos - Contact Us

I also use a php script to offer download links after a paypal purchase thanks to Nancy's advice a while back.

What I'd like to achieve in more specific detail, for now, is something like this: A user clicks a button do download something on my site and a form pops up requesting there email. Once they hit the submit button I will need a php script to offer the download while protecting the location. The user stays on the same page and the download will start automatically or is sent to there email. If it is sent to there email I can be sure it is a valid email. I don't want them to have to confirm there email then they can download it. It would be nice even to just have the download start immediately and I can trust they gave a valid one (for ease of use for my clients - despite receving a few false ones).

I will watch some basic php videos first (if you have some - share!) then will go over your guy's code and others from google and present possibilities to you guys. If you can have a look and let me know if its valid or not a good idea I'll listen and be thankful for your advice.

All the best guys,

Tim

• 19. Re: Email before download?
                                              osgood_ Level 8

timothyi34297763 wrote:

It would be nice even to just have the download start immediately and I can trust they gave a valid one (for ease of use for my clients - despite receving a few false ones).

I can't accept that, its a pointless approach. Very few will give their correct email address unless they are 'forced' to do so.

You are obviously requesting email addresses for certain reasons and you need to be sure as many of those emails are as legitimate as possible otherwise you may as well skip requesting an email address and just have a download link freely available to all.

Clients?

If they are clients and there are very few of them then it might be better to just get them to login and be taken to a secure download page, where only your clients can download the files you are making available.

• 20. Re: Email before download?
                                                timothyi34297763 Level 1

That's valid reasoning up to a point I think. Maybe I'll go with simply sending the download link to there email then. I think for the majority of people they would give their real email - I always do. It seems nearly everything requires captcha etc so the first thought shouldn't be maybe I'll weasle out of giving my real email. We'll so how it goes with this approach and adjust from there after i get a little more experience with it.

Going with an account approach is an option as well, though down the road a little when I have more products for sale. Thanks for your input!

• 21. Re: Email before download?
                                                  osgood_ Level 8

timothyi34297763 wrote:

That's valid reasoning up to a point I think. Maybe I'll go with simply sending the download link to there email then. I think for the majority of people they would give their real email - I always do. It seems nearly everything requires captcha etc so the first thought shouldn't be maybe I'll weasle out of giving my real email. We'll so how it goes with this approach and adjust from there after i get a little more experience with it.

My philosophy is this. You are collecting my email address because you are going to bomb me with eshots or tracking my movements around your site, which I dont really want so if I am to be subjected to this it better be something I require that i NEED to download and can only do so by providing a genuine address else I will just supply a fake email address.

OK yes you will get some setting up fake emails to download regardless what you do BUT you need to try as much as possible to harvest genuine emails IF that is what you want to do for the intention of using them to develop more business.

• 22. Re: Email before download?

Going with an account approach is an option as well, though down the road a little when I have more products for sale. Thanks for your input!

As an example of a project I'm currently working on.

User goes to a PCI compliant shopping cart, provides required info and goes through payment processing  (all conducted on secure/encrypted SSL sprockets).

On successful completion, user is sent an email with links AND the shopping cart directs them to an internal success page.  Both the email and success page are dynamically generated with links to downloads purchased in the shopping cart.

Links are hash encrypted (contain loads of symbols & other gibberish nobody can read ) and IP specific meaning links can't be shared with others.

Download files reside on a separate server that is not publicly accessible.  So even if a hacker somehow  exposes the actual filename, they can't get at it unless they have the appropriate hash and it originates from the right IP address.

Download links expire within a set time interval  * 3 days after link creation * then are destroyed.

It's about as bullet proof as I can make it.   And it represents a lot of work.

Nancy O.

• 23. Re: Email before download?
                                                      harendras496246

I had used the same code as given by you but unfortunately not working. I am getting some issue when I enter email id and then submit

1 - I am getting email on (// your email address where you wish to receive mail)

2 -  but // email address to which you wish to send download link is $email_adddress the person who entered email id in the field not getting any emails

Can you please help out on this issue.

Thanks

Harendra

• 24. Re: Email before download?
                                                        osgood_ Level 8

harendras496246  wrote

I had used the same code as given by you but unfortunately not working. I am getting some issue when I enter email id and then submit

1 - I am getting email on (// your email address where you wish to receive mail)

2 -  but // email address to which you wish to send download link is $email_adddress the person who entered email id in the field not getting any emails

Can you please help out on this issue.

Thanks

Harendra

The code in post number 5 should still work - I've just re-tested it and it functions correctly.

Dont know if you just made a typing error - you have 3 'd's in the variable name, there should only be 2?

$email_adddress

Should be:

$email_address

• 25. Re: Email before download?
                                                          harendras496246 Level 1

No, I am using the same code as it sees the code below 

<?php

if(isset($_POST['submit'])) {

// get email address from form field and store in a variable called $email_address

$email_address = $_POST['email_address'];

// an email address associated with your server

$from = 'info@yourdomain.com';

// your email address where you wish to receive mail

$to = 'info@yourdomain.com';

// email subject

$subject = "Email Address";

// headers

$headers = "From:$from\r\nReply-to:$email_address";

// email message

$body = "Email Address: $email_address";

// send mail

mail ($to, $subject, $body, $from);

// email address to which you wish to send download link is $email_address

$to = $email_address;

// email subject

$subject = 'Free download link';

// download link - change to your download link

$download_link = '<a href="https://google.com/">Click to download</a>';

// send email as html

$headers  = 'MIME-Version: 1.0' . "\r\n";

$headers .= 'Content-type: text/html; charset="UTF-8' . "\r\n";

$headers .= "From: $from\r\nReply-to: $email_address";

// email message

$message = '<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/loose.dtd">

<html>

<head>

<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=UTF-8">

</head>

<body>

<table width="100%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" border="0">

<tr>

<td style="padding: 50px 0 0 0;">

<table width="530" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" border="0" style="margin: 0 auto; border: 1px solid #1a3366;">

<tr>

<td style="padding: 30px; text-align: center;">

<h3>Your download link: </h3><p>'.$download_link.'</p>

</td>

</tr>

</table>

</td>

</tr>

</table>

</body>

</html>';

// send mail

mail($to, $subject, $message, $headers);

}

?>

• 26. Re: Email before download?
                                                            osgood_ Level 8

I'm getting the download link sent using the same code you just posted so I'm wondering if you are using gmail or some other mail service which might need verification?

• 27. Re: Email before download?
                                                              harendras496246 Level 1

Ok what kind of verification?

• 28. Re: Email before download?
                                                                osgood_ Level 8

harendras496246  wrote

Ok what kind of verification?

I don't use gmail or any other free mail service so I don't really know to be honest. It seems strange that you are getting the first mail function back and not the other.

gMail tightened up on spam some years ago and made it much harder for scripts to execute unless you could verify where the email was coming from but I've never had any cause to use gmail in a production environment so I dont know how it works.

• 29. Re: Email before download?

The first time you call the mail() function, you have $from as the fourth argument. It should be $headers.

• 30. Re: Email before download?
                                                                    timothyi34297763 Level 1

Wow, no fair. I was not alerted to new replies to my own thread. I've been missing out on very valuable and helpful discussion

Apologies. I'll go back and read over everything again. As of now, I still do not have this function setup and I'd very much like to set it up as soon as I can.

I get about 1000 unique visitors a month on my site, with my email address displayed in public with a contact message form. I'm lucky as I don't receive hardly any spam to my email or contact form. Maybe it has to do with the industry I'm in, sound design for synthesizers.

Here are a few more details/issues I'm concerned with.

1. I will protect the location of the download. I will generate an encrypyted download link with no expiration using linklop paypal.
                                                                    2. After someone sends an email to download a free soundset, for the better mostly, I will trust them to enter an email they use and not share it. I will trust them and proceed along this path, hopefully making things a bit easier to set up (no captcha, url specific links,etc). I'm in a highly specialized industry so I'm hoping to attract future customers who are interested and will provide their honest contact info because they are interested in the products and want to learn more through an email subscription. I can verify the email addresses when I send them out via a mailchimp campaign, so I can continually ensure the list is active.
                                                                    3. Sharing download url links. Possible, but they could just as easily share the file they download, so I'll try not to make setting this up any more complicated than the bare minimum.
                                                                    4. As mentioned, It seems like the easiest solution would be to simply use mailchimp for this function, though probably not as future proof as dreamweaver.

I will read more of the replies and reply afterwards.

• 31. Re: Email before download?
                                                                      timothyi34297763 Level 1

Here is where I'm at right now

Touch The Universe Productions - Audio Label and Sound Design - Booking and Audio Demos - Contact Us

The subscribe form isn't displaying properly, and I'm kind of at a loss on how to style it. If it takes 2 seconds, can someone help me so the form is atleast presentable. The test is white on a white background. Have no idea how to change either of these. I can change the text color with css to black, but it changes it site wide.

• 32. Re: Email before download?
                                                                        anissa_thompson Adobe Community Professional

I used my personal email and successfully downloaded your kit, so congrats on that!

It looks like you tried to use MailChimp's embed code, but didn't get all the pieces into position...

Maybe rewind and see what's potentially missing:
                                                                        How to Add a MailChimp Pop-Up Form to WordPress - YouTube

• 33. Re: Email before download?
                                                                          timothyi34297763 Level 1

I was able to change the text color thus, by adding a div, then a paragraph tag, then adding a style into the p tag.  I'm not sure if the addittional <div> tag is necessary, but that's the way I know.

Before

<label for="mce-EMAIL">Subscribe to our mailing list</label>

After

<label for="mce-EMAIL"><div> <p style="color:black;">Subscribe to our mailing list</p></div></label>

I think its actually 'good enough' for now. If only I could expand the white box to include the subscribtion button, however, any ideas? I don't like it protruding as it is.

Here it is as now.

Here is the full code:

<!-- Begin MailChimp Signup Form -->

<link href="//cdn-images.mailchimp.com/embedcode/slim-10_7.css" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css">

<style type="text/css">

#mc_embed_signup{background:#fff; clear:left; font:14px Helvetica,Arial,sans-serif; }

/* Add your own MailChimp form style overrides in your site stylesheet or in this style block.

We recommend moving this block and the preceding CSS link to the HEAD of your HTML file. */

</style>

<div id="mc_embed_signup">

<form action="https://touch-the-universe.us17.list-manage.com/subscribe/post?u=17254369a831ab340dcc39d21 &id=2769e73a04" method="post" id="mc-embedded-subscribe-form" name="mc-embedded-subscribe-form" class="validate" target="_blank" novalidate>

<div id="mc_embed_signup_scroll">

<label for="mce-EMAIL"><div> <p style="color:black;">Subscribe to our mailing list</p></div></label>

<input type="email" value="" name="EMAIL" class="email" id="mce-EMAIL" placeholder="email address" required>

<!-- real people should not fill this in and expect good things - do not remove this or risk form bot signups-->

<div style="position: absolute; left: -5000px;" aria-hidden="true"><input type="text" name="b_17254369a831ab340dcc39d21_2769e73a04" tabindex="-1" value=""></div>

<div class="clear"><input type="submit" value="Subscribe" name="subscribe" id="mc-embedded-subscribe" class="button"></div>

</div>

</form>

</div>

<!--End mc_embed_signup-->

• 34. Re: Email before download?
                                                                            timothyi34297763 Level 1

Also, don't like how the captcha is there. Oddly, the capture is turned off in the list settings. It should not show up! Odd, quite odd. Ideas?

• 35. Re: Email before download?
                                                                              timothyi34297763 Level 1

Got it, I'm happy with it now.

https://forums.adobe.com/external-link.jspa?url=http%3A%2F%2Ftouch-the-universe.com%2Fsubs cription.html

If only I could figure out why that captcha is still there.