5 Replies Latest reply on Jun 7, 2016 1:59 PM by Sue Garibaldi

New Update -- Brush problems

zenhomunculous

Hello Adobe Forum,

While the most recent update to Adobe Draw has added some awesome new features, I have not been able to get my brush back how they were originally set in the most recent/previous version. The sliders are cool but after spending hours tweaking them, I still find the brushes in the new update to be less responsive with odd tapering. The update REALLY changed the over all feel of the brush and I'm curious if there are any recommended settings that would return my brush to how it was in the past version of Adobe Draw. This has been extremely frustrating because I created some awesome artwork and really enjoyed using this app, however now it's less than ideal to have to fumble with the sliders in hopes to return the brushes to some semblance of what they were in the prior version before I can even begin drawing.

Any recommendations would be much appreciated. It would be nice to be able to switch the sliders off completely and revert my tools back to the previous version's default settings. The simplicity of the app was what drew me in to begin with so I'm sad to see the app becoming more complicated without the option to keep it simple.

Thanks!

• 1. Re: New Update -- Brush problems
          Sue Garibaldi Adobe Employee (Admin)

Hi Zen,

I've seen a number of comments about the difference in the way brushes work in this update. From what I've heard, they take some getting used to. Hopefully this explanation from one of our engineers will help:

We made a subtle change to how pressure influences size as part of the addition of customizable brush parameters. Before, if you’re set brush size was 10, the drawn stroke width would vary from 0 to 10 as you increased pressure. Now it increases from 0 to 20 if the pressure slider in the brush parameter settings is at 100%. If the slider is at 50%, say, the brush varies from 5 to 15, instead of 0 to 20. The change in this behavior was made so that the behavior of that new pressure slider (and for velocity for that matter) make sense.

Zero means no variation in size with changes in pressure, and a negative number would mean that the size would go from large to small with increasing pressure, rather than from small to large.
          In order to get exactly what you had before, the easiest thing is to just halve your brush size.

Hope that helps.

Sue.

• 2. Re: New Update -- Brush problems
            zenhomunculous Level 1

Thank you, Sue. I will try this.

Could you pass my suggestion of having an 'off switch' for the brush sliders over to your development team? I know it's a wish list item but one day, it would be nice to turn off the pressure sensitivity. Many of us work on several different pieces over extended periods of time so when changes are made to the brushes mid-project, it's difficult to finish a piece that was started before the change up. It's like switching a painter over to a whole new set of brushes and paints in the middle of their painting.

Thanks again for your help and your quick reply!

• 3. Re: New Update -- Brush problems

Hi Zen,

You actually can turn off the pressure. The toggle is at the top of the brush slider panel.

Let me know if that's not what you mean.

Sue.

• 4. Re: New Update -- Brush problems
                zenhomunculous Level 1

My apologies Sue, I should have been more specific. I would love to see a switch that toggles/reverts the brushes back to how they were in the previous version. I have been toggling the sliders off but I still find the brush strokes to not be quite like they were. I won't hold my breath but it would be a really great feature to see one day

Thanks again!

• 5. Re: New Update -- Brush problems

Zen.

Got it. I'll pass that along.

Sue.