5 Replies Latest reply on Jun 7, 2016 11:47 PM by Rick Gerard

Rotating Objects In Same Layer ?

Omarb92 Level 1

I am trying to rotate every rectangle of these around itself ( I created them in illustrator , imported to AE then created shapes from vector layer )  . However when i rotate , the layer rotates as a whole . To rotate each rectangle i have to go to the transform panel of each one of them ( which i have hundreds of them ) and do it . Which is obviously insane . Any ideas how i can apply a rotate effect that will make each rectangle rotate around itself ? And ofcourse creating a layer for each rectangle is not an option !

pt.PNG

• 1. Re: Rotating Objects In Same Layer ?
          Gutter-Fish Level 4

Why is creating a layer for each triangle not an option?  Here's what I would do. Create a single rectangle>set keyframes to roatate it 360 or 359 degrees>hold alt and click the stopwatch to create an expression on the keyed rotation property>click the little arrow that appeare by the property and apply a loop-out expression (i think its in the property section)> Now duplicate the layer twenty times (or whatever)>  select the last duplicated layer and move it down to where you want to row or column to end>  Then select all the layers and apply a distribute vertically (or horizontally) in the Align panel>  Now select all the layers duplicate and move over to create other columns (or rows)>  Offset the in points of all the layers.  Depending on how much randomness you want between the rotation the process can be very quick or it might take you a half hour or so.  Also as for offsetting the layers (if you want some randomness) there are scripts to do this.  Rift is a fantastic one but cost $30.  I'm sure there are some free alternatives.

I'll try and do a quick video to show you if someone doesn't beat me to it.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Rotating Objects In Same Layer ?
            Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I would have done this project with two shape layers, one horizontal and one vertical rectangle and two repeaters. One repeater would create the row then the second would repeat the row to create the column. I'm on set today but if you can wait until tonight I'll post an example.

• 3. Re: Rotating Objects In Same Layer ?
              Omarb92 Level 1

Hey there ! Wow thanks for taking the time to do this and help out ! I appreciate it thanks for sharing your knowledge .

• 4. Re: Rotating Objects In Same Layer ?
                Omarb92 Level 1

Rick ! Always coming to my rescue ! I think I kind of got the idea ... I appreciate you taking the time to help out and I thank you a million times Sir

• 5. Re: Rotating Objects In Same Layer ?
                  Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Try this. It will take you about 2 minutes.

1. Create a new comp
                  2. In the top left corner use the rectangle tool to add a rectangle shape
                  3. Spin down the Rectangle 1 Transform property and set a keyframe for rotation at frame 0
                  4. Move to 2 seconds on the timeline and change the number of rotations to 1 to set a new keyframe
                  5. Add the following expression to rotation   loopOut()
                  6. Select Contents for the shape layer and add a repeater (this will put the repeater below Rectangle 1 instead of above Rectangle 1 transform)
                  7. Duplicate the repeater
                  8. Set Repeater 2 - transform to zero for x and increase the y value until you have three rows
                  9. Fine tune the x offset and number of copies in Repeater 1 to get the number of columns you want
                  10. Fine tune the y offset and number of copies in Repeater 2 to get the number of rows you want

Try experimenting with other shape animators like Twist or Pucker and Bloat and have some fun.

Screen Shot 2016-06-07 at 11.32.39 PM.png

Screen Shot 2016-06-07 at 11.32.52 PM.png

Screen Shot 2016-06-07 at 11.33.24 PM.png

This is much faster than trying to do the whole thing in illustrator and them animate all the parts.

You can set up a couple of shape layers and offset the repeaters and rotation to get exactly the design you have as an example.

Try adding other repeaters and playing with the settings.