4 Replies Latest reply on Jun 8, 2016 1:26 PM by Szalam

Comparing dual Xeon systems - worth the price difference?

Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I am looking at two different processors and wondering about them.

I am considering Dual Intel® Xeon® Processor E5-2699 v4 (22 cores at 2.2GHz) and Dual Intel® Xeon® Processor E5-2687W v4 (12 cores at 3.0GHz).

The total overall GHz is more with the 44 core system vs. the 24 core system, but the single core clock speed is significantly higher in the 24 core system vs. the 44 core system.

Which would be better - faster single core speed or more overall GHz? Is one better for playback and editing speed vs. the other for rendering/encoding/export?

• 1. Re: Comparing dual Xeon systems - worth the price difference?
          Bill Gehrke Most Valuable Participant

Your E5-2699 v4 with 22 cores (44 cores total and 88 threads) option is a looser as Premiere is limited by Microsoft software to 64 threads so the second processor has to be turned off or hyperthreading must be diasbled

• 2. Re: Comparing dual Xeon systems - worth the price difference?

I was leaning towards the other processor anyway since many things are still single-threaded anyway and the extra clock speed would help that. Thanks for confirming!

• 3. Re: Comparing dual Xeon systems - worth the price difference?
              JFPhoton Level 3

....you may want to consider comparing the price and performance of the new Broadwell E CPUs that are now on sale. With PPro, CPU clock speed is king, and the Broadwell E CPUs offer substantial overclocking ability in addition to as many as 10 physical cores on the flagship CPU. Eric Bowen on this forum has a thread showing his test results of the new 6950X CPU....soon he will be able to show the comparison of Xeon to the new Broadwell E. He would be the person to explain the difference in performance between those two CPU models.

The above assumes that you do not already have a motherboard in use which commits you to a choice of Xeon only.

• 4. Re: Comparing dual Xeon systems - worth the price difference?

JFPhoton wrote:

....you may want to consider comparing the price and performance of the new Broadwell E CPUs that are now on sale.

Good thought! I've been wondering about that. If we were just pure shooting and editing, that'd probably be the way I'd be leaning. However, the majority of my work is in Cinema 4D and having a huge amount of processing power is very handy for that. Plus contingencies are nice, so if my machine goes down in the middle of a critical project in C4D, I can just hop on another machine, install C4D and go.

If the powers-that-be come back and say our request is too high for their budgets. I might try to keep the request for the two C4D machines with the Xeons, but request the four Premiere-only machines with the Broadwell E CPUs...(I mean, they won't be slouches for C4D in a pinch... )