7 Replies Latest reply on Jun 10, 2016 7:23 AM by Karl Heinz Kremer

Edit PDF Option - Acrobat DC

Cheryl Shirley

In the Acrobat DC program on my computer, the Edit PDF function is no longer working.  I had to have a new hard drive put on my computer and the program was put back on it and I have all other functions of DC but this one.  I have made sure all my updates are complete and done an installation repair on DC to no avail.  Can you let me know what I need to do to have this option back.  Thanks  Cheryl Shirley

• 1. Re: Edit PDF Option - Acrobat DC
          try67 MVP & Adobe Community Professional

What does "no longer working" mean? What happens when you click it, exactly?

• 2. Re: Edit PDF Option - Acrobat DC
            Cheryl Shirley Level 1
            When I click on the Edit PDF it takes me to the Adobe screen wanted me to purchase again.

• 3. Re: Edit PDF Option - Acrobat DC
              Test Screen Name Most Valuable Participant

The usual cause of this is just installing the wrong app. There are three apps to choose from

* Acrobat Reader

* Acrobat Standard

* Acrobat Pro

Be sure you installed the one you paid for.

• 4. Re: Edit PDF Option - Acrobat DC
                Pariah Burke Adobe Community Professional

Cheryl,

It sounds like those PDFs might "belong" to the previous user account on your computer. Sometimes operating systems lock files for editing from all but the original owner or creator. When you had your computer drive replaced your old user account was deleted and a new one created. It may be that those files are owned by your old user account and consequently locked to your new one. Let's get ownership back so you can edit the files.

If you're on a Mac, follow the instructions here: How to Change File Ownership in Mac OS X

If you're on Windows, follow these instructions: Take Ownership of a File or Folder

• 5. Re: Edit PDF Option - Acrobat DC
                  Karl Heinz Kremer Adobe Community Professional

The problem is very likely (as TSN suggested) that you are using the wrong application. The free Reader is now called "Adobe Acrobat Reader DC", and the "real" Acrobat is "Adobe Acrobat Pro DC" (or Standard instead of Pro), with the "Standard" version actually not displaying that name on the "About" screen.

There are other differences in the user interface besides the missing "Edit" functionality, but the free Reader and Acrobat look very similar, and it's oftentimes hard to tell which one you are using. The best way is to look in the title bar if you are using the application on Windows, or the "About" screen on both Mac OS and Windows. Mac OS also displays the application name in the upper left corner of your screen, next to the Apple menu:

2016-06-08_14-51-05.png

2016-06-08_14-50-09.png

If you don't have Acrobat installed, you an download it from here: Download Pro or Standard versions of Acrobat DC, XI, or X

• 6. Re: Edit PDF Option - Acrobat DC
                    lolat9413993

I'm having a similar problem.. when I open a pdf doc I immediately see the "clocking circle" after waiting a while it goes away.. Then I click on the editing button and it starts again.  The edit options never appear and I get get the "clocking circle" again.  Eventually I see the (not responding) at the top.  

Please help me figure this out.  I haven't had any HD issues and I literally just used this option Friday.

Thanks

Lola

• 7. Re: Edit PDF Option - Acrobat DC
                      Karl Heinz Kremer Adobe Community Professional

That is actually a complete different problem. It sounds like you are using the correct application, but your problem is that the application is not responding. If you are using Acrobat on Windows, I would try to repair the installation as the fist step to get this working again. You can find this function in Acrobat's "Help" menu. Does that fix the problem? If you are running on a Mac, unfortunately there is no comparable function, and you would have to uninstall and re-install Acrobat to get the same effect.