4 Replies Latest reply on Jun 9, 2016 8:26 AM by dj_paige

Can i get a little help with lightroom organization

Groggy Rustic Level 1

Ok so I have a couple of dilemmas but I will start with this one. After you finish an edit where do you export it to? The same folder as import, another location or drive? And when you do, do you delete the lightroom imported photo (I'm not speaking about the untouched original)

• 1. Re: Can i get a little help with lightroom organization
          Tanuj Sandal Adobe Employee

Hi Groggy,

Please have a look at the following links as they will be helpful for you: Lightroom tutorials | Learn how to use Photoshop Lightroom

2.- How Lightroom catalogs work

Regards

Tanuj

• 2. Re: Can i get a little help with lightroom organization
            Per Berntsen Adobe Community Professional

You only export if you need an image for a particular purpose. To export everything routinely is not needed, or recommended.

The imported photo is the untouched original. When you export, the edits you have done (which are stored in the Lightroom catalog) are applied to a new version of the file.

Take a look at this article: Lightroom basics

2 people found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Can i get a little help with lightroom organization
              Per Berntsen Adobe Community Professional

And you can export to any folder you like - it's entirely up to you.

I wouldn't export to the same folder as the original though, it could create confusion.

One possibility would be to create folders according to the intended use of the exported files, like Print, Web, etc.

2 people found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Can i get a little help with lightroom organization
                dj_paige Level 9

Groggy Rustic wrote:

Ok so I have a couple of dilemmas but I will start with this one. After you finish an edit where do you export it to? The same folder as import, another location or drive? And when you do, do you delete the lightroom imported photo (I'm not speaking about the untouched original)

As stated by others, you do not export photos upon completion of editing, unless you have a specific need to use the exported photo (web, e-mail, print). You can put the exported photos anywhere you want.

When I export, the photos go to a folder called Temp, which is at the top level of my D: drive; I make use of them and then delete the photos in Temp once I'm done using them. I always know to look in the Temp folder at the top level of my D: drive, so I don't have to go searching around into deeply buried folders for my exports. It doesn't get much simpler than that!

Regarding the question about deleting the imported photo, the answer is NO!!! This effectively causes you to lose your edits (although they would remain in the exported photo; but if you ever want to use this photo in Lightroom again, you'd have to import it and re-edit it). Deleting an image from Lightroom goes completely against the underlying concept and functioning of Lightroom. And your question implies you are not using Lightroom's Library Module to organize your photos, meaning you lose out on all these very valuable capabilities in the Library Module if you delete a photo.

1 person found this helpful