6 Replies Latest reply on Jun 11, 2016 8:36 AM by BobLevine

Imported Word Hyperlink Style Creating Unwanted Local Override

erica59044543 Level 1

Word character style: ‘Hyperlink’

-based on: (underlying properties)

*(same result when based on: Default Paragraph Font)

-blue

-underline

InDesign character style: ‘Hyperlink’

-based on: [None]

-blue

-underline

-font family: Minion Pro

Upon placing the Word file, InDesign interprets the Hyperlink style as having a local override of font family: Arial.

Most of the styles in the Word doc are in Arial. None of the styles in the InDesign doc are in Arial; they are all in Minion Pro. They all map correctly, from Arial in Word to Minion Pro in InDesign, except for Hyperlink.

Is Hyperlink a special case that won't automatically map to the correct font family, but will instead always be interpreted as having a local override? Or am I doing something wrong?

• 1. Re: Imported Word Hyperlink Style Creating Unwanted Local Override
          Willi Adelberger Most Valuable Participant

Does the hyperlink use a character style? Then change or delete it. If not reapply the Paragraph Style by holding down the ALT key.

BTW it is never a good idea to use Word Styles in InDesign. It is always better to design in InDesign all styles and map them from Word styles upon import.

• 2. Re: Imported Word Hyperlink Style Creating Unwanted Local Override
            erica59044543 Level 1

Willi Adelberger,

[headache-inducing first part of question deleted]

Let me ask this in a different way, using this text string: “the apple is red”

What must be done to:

a) designate in the Word document that “apple” has a hypertext reference and has a character style named “Custom Hypertext” with rule of [font color: red],

b) map that to a style in InDesign called also “Custom Hypertext” with rule of [font color: green],

c) so that upon importing the Word doc into the InDesign doc, the “Custom Hypertext” style maps automatically and InDesign applies both the hypertext reference and applies the [font color: green]?

• 3. Re: Imported Word Hyperlink Style Creating Unwanted Local Override
              erica59044543 Level 1

For others also having this question:

This turned out to be a larger issue beyond just hyperlinks. This larger issue is integral to my workflow, and so it was worth the several days of research and testing that I put in to determine what was going on. There are a few detailed forum posts asking the exact question at the heart of this issue, and none of them received definitive answers—only vague workarounds.

I don’t have time to write up the full details of my findings, but here is the bottom line summary:

The true issue (not hyperlinks) is that Character Styles defined in Word (“italic red” for example) that are imported into InDesign where there is an identically named Character Style (“italic red” for example) will create a local override in InDesign IF the font family of the underlying Paragraph Style in Word (Arial, for example) is different than the font family of the “mapped-to” underlying Paragraph Style in InDesign (Garamond, for example). They will NOT create a local override in InDesign IF the font families of the underlying Paragraph Styles in BOTH Word and InDesign match (Garamond in both, for example).

This seems like a bug to me, or at least “buggy”. At a bare minimum, it should be included in the documentation so that users don’t have to burn *DAYS* of time experimenting to locate the limits of the software for such a basic task as mapping [MS Word, Arial Paragraph Style, Italic Character Style] to [InDesign, Garamond Paragraph Style, Italic Character Style]. That seems like awfully basic functionality to me, or, as mentioned, worthy of at least a few sentences in the documentation.

The good news is that if your workflow can handle using the same font families for Word’s Paragraph Styles that are also used for InDesign’s Paragraph styles, then the issue of false positive local overrides goes away. Not ideal, but there you have it.

• 4. Re: Imported Word Hyperlink Style Creating Unwanted Local Override
                Willi Adelberger Most Valuable Participant

Sorry, you are completely wrong. In a character style the font should only be defined if it is different than the font of the underlaying paragraph style. Only differences have to be defined. As I wrote before, don't use Word's styles, make your own InDesign styles, use them. Styles in Word and InDesign are completely different how they are defined.

So it is not a bug, it is an operating error.

• 5. Re: Imported Word Hyperlink Style Creating Unwanted Local Override
                  erica59044543 Level 1

Willi Adelberger,

I have tested this intensively, and what I wrote above is correct, insofar as all scenarios were covered by my testing. Kindly re-read my post and you will see that I stated quite clearly that it is a question of “…IF the font family of the underlying Paragraph Style…”, and NOT the “character style” as you typed in your reply.

The Paragraph Styles and the Character Styles are first named and defined in InDesign. Based on their existence in InDesign, corresponding Paragraph Styles and Character Styles are then created in Word with identical names, so that they will map upon import.

“As I wrote before, don’t use Word’s styles, make your own InDesign styles, use them.”

To illustrate, the style rules for all Paragraph and Character styles in Word are versions of Plaid, Polka-Dots, and Paisley color themes. InDesign has no care or concern for how those styles are defined in Word, because InDesign defines its own style rules—both Paragraph Styles and Character Styles—and its style rules contain only basic formatting items like Italic and Bold. (And thank goodness, because try as I might I cannot locate corresponding Plaid, Polka-Dots, and Paisley formatting in InDesign. )

“Styles in Word and InDesign are completely different how they are defined.”

I read all about this. However, it’s just another variable, not a definitive answer.

My answer is definitive. Not ideal, but definitive.

I am relatively new to InDesign, so perhaps Willi is right and I am wrong, though all of my testing indicates otherwise. I burned a lot of time on this. I would recommend that others having this question take Willi’s experienced opinion under advisement, but then test on your own workflow what I wrote above and see if that doesn’t solve your problem in a livable way—if not, you’ve only lost a few minutes of testing.

• 6. Re: Imported Word Hyperlink Style Creating Unwanted Local Override
                    BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

As long as the Word styles are IDENTICALLY named as the corresponding InDesign styles they should map properly with no overrides. However, for me to state that this works perfectly would be a stretch. It should however get you about 90% of the way.