2 Replies Latest reply on Jun 10, 2016 8:07 AM by ECBowen

Combating Adobe memory hogs

wrnhucf Level 1

Hello all,

I have two questions;

1. At idle, with a couple of open files in InDesign, Photoshop and Illustrator; I am using 14-15GB of RAM.

This is in no way a hardware problem as I have replicated the problem on my laptop which has completely different configurations.

So it appears that my only option is to up my RAM from 16 up to 32GB. I am aware of cleaning and emptying cache files, but does this slow down the opening of recent files? Anything else i could do to improve performance?

2. Due to lack of desktop space I was considering adding a second monitor. I did this about 6 years ago and performance was hindered drastically. As an alternative, I would consider a larger (28-32") 4k display with applicable video card, BUT found tons of Adobe incompatibility issues on my laptop using this resolution.

Anyone care to share their PC set up?

Adobe should seriously start a forum section for hardware. The Creative Cloud processing/memory demands are growing rapidly each year, so there should be an open portal to discuss the best hardware solutions.

[moved to hardware forum by moderator]

• 1. Re: Combating Adobe memory hogs
          Bill Gehrke Adobe Community Professional & MVP

As this has nothing to do with Premiere and is a user to user forum this is the wrong place for this.

• 2. Re: Combating Adobe memory hogs
            ECBowen Most Valuable Participant

You need more ram. Adobe uses a massive amount of ram at this point and 16GB is really bare minimum. 32GB is where you want to be ideally and that is only if dealing with 1080 media or Photoshop and Illustrator work. 32GB would be minimum for 4K+ work where 64GB is ideal or target. AE can push this up to 128GB very quickly. Any of the 900 series video cards will handle 4K monitors fine. But you want the ram first.