3 Replies Latest reply on Jun 10, 2016 11:47 AM by trshaner

Equal color from multiple cameras

dnphotoca

I am a wedding photographer and we are shooting D810 and D800's.  When we finish a shoot, we bring the images back to lightroom and experience different color rendition after import from the different cameras shot in the same locations with the same settings.  What I'm wondering is if there is a way to use camera calibration to force the images from the different cameras to look the same after import.  Equalizing the colors would certainly make the post processing easier and more efficient.  Any input or suggestions would be appreciated. 

Cheers

• 1. Re: Equal color from multiple cameras
          Theresa J Adobe Community Professional

I recommend creating custom camera profiles for each camera and each lens. X-rite makes a color chip called 'Passport'. It comes with calibration software. Photograph the passport under the same lighting conditions for each camera and create a profile for each. You can create a develop preset in Lightroom for each profile and then apply this preset on import. This should help get your images more consistent with each other.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Equal color from multiple cameras
            ManiacJoe Adobe Community Professional

Theresa has you pointed in the right direction.

Each camera model uses a slightly different color algorithm as the camera engineers keep tweaking things.

• 3. Re: Equal color from multiple cameras
              trshaner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Is this just a White Balance setting difference? By that I mean can you correct the difference simply by changing the WB Temp and Tint values? Do you see the Difference with just a specific camera profile (Adobe Standard, Camera Standard) or ALL profiles? I suspect the Adobe Standard and/or Camera profiles for one of the camera models (D800 or D810) has a WB offset error. See this post for an example: Re: WB calibration issue with 1DX Mark II Camera Profiles

Make sure you are using the v2 camera profiles for the D810: Nikon D810 camera profiles display posterized colors in Lightroom

You can correct this as suggested by creating new camera profiles for each camera using the ColorChecker Passport. But DNG Camera Profiles correct differences in the raw color data independent of WB. There may still be a difference in the required LR WB settings from the 'As Shot' settings for each camera. You can correct this a couple of ways:

1) Determine what the correct WB setting should be for each camera for the lighting situations normally used (i.e. Flash, Daylight) and create separate Develop presets for each camera that apply just the White Balance and Calibration (i.e. camera profile) settings for each lighting type. Typically flash and daylight WB are very similar so you may only need one Develop preset for these lighting types.

2) Correct the Adobe Standard and/or Camera profiles you use for one of the cameras using Adobe DNG Profile Editor so that the WB matches the other camera. See this link for an example: Re: WB calibration issue with 1DX Mark II Camera Profiles

3) Create ColorChecker Passport camera profiles for each camera. There is a possibility this may correct the 'As Shot' WB differences you are seeing....but no guarantee.

1 person found this helpful