4 Replies Latest reply on Jun 9, 2016 1:45 PM by Jay Chevako

Cursor moves. Unable to edit.

gordon47077543 Level 1

Hello everyone,

I am working on a rather complex calendar. I can’t seem to figure out what is causing my problem, and it seems to happen randomly. Honestly, I don’t even know where to begin to pinpoint the problem.

When I edit the text, sometimes my cursor jumps to the middlemost guide of that row, and it freezes up so it is impossible to edit anything within that layer or any other layer.

I have set up multiple layers: one for the actual calendar boxes, another layer for text, one for pictures (i.e. the candlesticks), and a fourth for shading. Of course there is the default layer as well since it can’t be deleted. Each calendar box contains 7 rows of text boxes. I have also used quite a few guides to keep everything aligned and in place.

System Specs

Adobe Pagemaker 7.0

Windows XP Professional Service Pack 3

Intel® Pentium® 4 CPU 3.0GHz

1.49GB of RAM

46.1 GB of disk space

Screenshot.JPG

Any suggestions?

• 1. Re: Cursor moves. Unable to edit.
          Jay Chevako Level 3

You have hit the random errors that Pagemaker was famous for. You can try deleting the preferences, or reinstalling the program, but be warned that sometimes Pagemaker just refuses to work. This reminds me of the hoops I had to jump through to get annual reports with their tables full of numbers to work. Any modern page layout program with support for tables  (Don't use adobe table, its an abomination) will make easy work of your calendar, without the need for all of the layers and guides.
          Jay

• 2. Re: Cursor moves. Unable to edit.
            gordon47077543 Level 1

Thank you for the response.

It is a brand new install of Pagemaker. I would like to try to delete the preferences like you suggested, but I don't know how to go about doing that and the help document doesn't seem to say anything about deleting them.

I was wondering if you knew if .pmd files could be imported and edited in InDesign. From my priliminary research, it doesn't look like InDesign will import .pmd files. Also, do you know if this error still occurs in InDesign?

• 3. Re: Cursor moves. Unable to edit.
              BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

gordon47077543 wrote:

It is a brand new install of Pagemaker.    

Well there's something you don't read every day.

InDesign CS6 can OPEN PMD files. Results will be anything from near perfect to complete garbage.

• 4. Re: Cursor moves. Unable to edit.
                Jay Chevako Level 3

Troubleshoot damaged publications (PageMaker 6.0-7.x) - Support Knowledgebase Try the diagnostic recompose in this link and it also has instructions for "renaming" the preference files. I used to keep a good copy of the preferences on hand to replace the ones in the Pm[version]/Rsrc/Usenglsh folder that went bad. InDesign CS6, an older version of InDesign will convert .pmd files, but will probably make a mess out of your calendar file, it would be much better to start off using tables.  If you sign up for the creative cloud you can get access to InDesign CS6 along with the latest version of InDesign CC. I haven't had InDesign freeze on me like that, I have had other types of crashes, but usually when I was doing something that really pushed the system hard.  ID has many more features than Pagemaker, and can really improve your workflow.
                Jay