3 Replies Latest reply on Jun 10, 2016 4:10 PM by johnrellis

Import from Another Catalog: Options

saladsamurai Level 1

Hi All -

I am importing 3 child catalogs into a single parent catalog.  I am using the option to copy the images to a new location while I am at it since I am doing some file structure cleaning as well. I created the new parent catalog and imported child catalog 1 with success.  When I go to import child catalog 2, I get some different options that I am unclear on.  A few questions follow.

• In the image, why are only some folders checked off?
      • It says 14431 photos as Catalog Contents.  What does the 819 New Photos mean? 
      • What does the 1599 Changed Existing Photos mean?

I don't want to guess at this since I am already in the middle of a file structure nightmare lol.  Any help is greatly appreciated.

LIGHTROOM IMPORT OPTIONS.png

• 1. Re: Import from Another Catalog: Options
          Chetna Srivastava Adobe Employee

Hi saladsamurai,

This tells that there are only 819 photos out of the total which are new to be imported, rest of them are already present in the catalog in which you are imported.

And due to the same reason you have few folders checked. Unchecked ones are already present.

1599 photos are already present and its prompting for an action onto those images whether you want to replace with the ones that you are importing from the new catalog to be merged or if you want to preserve old settings as a virtual copy and add these new images as well.

All these options are explained in this article as well: How to import photos from Photoshop Elements, other Lightroom catalogs, or apps such as iPhoto in Lightroom

Regards

Chetna

2 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Import from Another Catalog: Options
            saladsamurai Level 1

Thank you for your fast response Chetna and thank you for the link.  I will study the options to better understand them.

EDIT:  Chetna - DO you know what criteria Lightroom uses to determine if a photo already exists in the parent catalog?  I hope it is not simply checking filenames.

EDIT 2: I was able to answer my own question regarding the criteria that LR uses to determine dupes.  The answer is that it depends on what you are doing.  If you are combining catalogs, then it must be doing more than just comparing filenames.  BUT if you are managing images within the same catalog, then it only compares filenames.  I will describe the simple tests that I did to determine this.

TEST 1:

First I created two folders.  Each folder contained 1 image.  The images had the same name, but were different images, shot on different dates.

Folder A:

IMG_0001   -->  Taken on 9/1/2015

Folder B:

IMG_0001  -->  Taken on 9/5/2015

Create 2 catalogs:

Cat A --> import Folder A

Cat B --> import Folder B

Then in Cat A, I performed File > Import From Another Catalog ... and selected Cat B. 

This worked successfully and the result was that I have the 2 distinct images with the same name in a single catalog.

TEST 2: The results of this surprised me after having success in previous test.

Create a new 3rd catalog and import both folders A and B.  Then using the 'Folders' navigator on the left try to drag IMG_0001 from folder A into folder B.  It will fail because the images have the same name even though they are unique.

It makes sense that it doesn't want to handle multiple images with same name, but it would nice if LR prompted you with an option to rename. 

• 3. Re: Import from Another Catalog: Options
              johnrellis Most Valuable Participant
              what criteria Lightroom uses to determine if a photo already exists in the parent catalog?

From the Lightroom help: How to import photos from Photoshop Elements, other Lightroom catalogs, or apps such as iPhoto in Lightroom 

Lightroom determines a photo is a duplicate (already in the catalog) if it has the same, original filename; the same Exif capture date and time; and the same file size.

2 people found this helpful