3 Replies Latest reply on Jun 9, 2016 10:59 AM by Karl Heinz Kremer

Copy of text

h.linnenbrink

If I click on the selection tool for text appears an arrow with a frame and not a cursor. I cannot activate text. The file has no protection.

How can I get the cursor symbol and function?

• 1. Re: Copy of text
          Bernd Alheit Adobe Community Professional & MVP

There is no text in the document. It is a image. How did you create the document?

• 2. Re: Copy of text
            h.linnenbrink Level 1

The document was printed by a motor producer. The file could be converted to Excel with some format errors.

• 3. Re: Copy of text
              Karl Heinz Kremer Adobe Community Professional

In general, when you see behavior like that, the document is either a scanned document that was not OCRed, or the document was deliberately converted to an image, or all text was converted to outlines (which means that the text is no longer text, but drawings of characters).

Because you get output when you convert to Excel, I assume that the document contains only images (e.g. scan). You very likely selected to run OCR when necessary when you converted to Excel. In order to select text, highlight text or modify text, you need to run OCR manually. You can do that if you have Adobe Acrobat (the free Reader does not have this capability). Depending on what you want to do with this file, you may want to select the ClearType output or "Editable Text and Images" as it's called in Acrobat DC.

Once OCRed, should should be able to select and copy text.