3 Replies Latest reply on Jun 17, 2016 5:17 AM by trshaner

How to upgrade / merge older Lightroom catalogs into LR6?

Ton Sonneveldt

I have a LR6 stand alone version on a Win7 64 bit workstation.

I use Lightroom from the first version and have still all the old catalogs in the standard Lightroom folder:

For some reason today I had to edit several pictures I made in 2006 and I got under "develop" in LR6 the dialogues from an earlier version of LR; I don't know which version.

Of course I could edit the pictures with those options too, but as I am used now to the possibilities of editing under LR6 it was a bit awkward. So I wonder if there is a possibility to work with those old files using the new development settings of LR6?

I looked at the forum into discussions under "upgrade" and "merge" catalogs but I still am not sure what I can / should do, WITHOUT losing tags (as all my pictures are tagged in more than one way), lose development settings or losing pictures.

So my question is: Is there a safe way to upgrade or merge the catalogs from the older versions of LR to LR6, in such a way that I can edit the older pictures with the editing tools available under LR6?

N.B. My backup folder has a time stamp of 2012, but I make backups every time I close LR, so my backups are up to date (even if there is only a backup that is called Lightroom 6 Catalog.lrcat.zip file) as I had to use my latest backup file from LR5 to create my Lightroom 6 catalog after upgrading from LR5 to LR6...

Hope someone can shed some light here.

Ton Sonneveldt

• 1. Re: How to upgrade / merge older Lightroom catalogs into LR6?
          Chetna Srivastava Adobe Employee

Hi Ton,

Yes, you can do that.

First step would be to take backup of your current Lightroom 6 Catalog.

Then, follow these steps:

1. Open the same catalog

2. Go to File menu > choose Import from Another Catalog

3. Browse and select the first catalog that you want to merge with this one

4. Choose "Discard Upgraded Catalog After Import"  [This will upgrade your older catalog and will not save its upgraded copy] 

5. Select the suitable options and import

6. Repeat the process for all other catalog which you want to merge with the main one.

Let us know if you face any difficulties.

Regards

Chetna

• 2. Re: How to upgrade / merge older Lightroom catalogs into LR6?
            Ton Sonneveldt Level 1

Dear Chetna,

Thanks for your response.

I took all the steps you described - but I of course first made a backup

of my Lightroom folder - but it did not work out as I hoped for.

Merging all the older catalogs into the Lightroom 6 catalog took about

10 hours (but of course that was no problem wit a total of nearly 40.000

pictures in the catalog) and I got during that process several

(certainly more than 60 but I did not fully check: see later) tags in

the final catalog that I did not had (or had anymore) before and I was

asked to import many pictures (nearly 400) that were not in the last

general Lightroom 6 catalog.

After I finished the process and checked several large badges of

pictures with the same tag I found in the catalog links to pictures that

had no corresponding digital negative anymore, as I at some moment I had

discarded that picture / digital negative. But the link somehow still

existed in earlier catalogs...

The most important thing however was that older pictures still opened in

the framework of the older Lightroom versions with sliders / options

from that version and not from Lightroom 6.

As I started all this to be able to process my older pictures too under

the options / possibilities of Lightroom 6 I have discarded the merged

version of the catalog and re-installed my (clean) backed up Lightroom

folder.

I tried but I keep it now as it is, as I only seldom have to re-edit

pictures from 2006 or 2007...

Still many thanks for trying to help me!

Best wishes, Ton

• 3. Re: How to upgrade / merge older Lightroom catalogs into LR6?
              trshaner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Ton Sonneveldt wrote:

I have a LR6 stand alone version on a Win7 64 bit workstation.

I use Lightroom from the first version and have still all the old catalogs in the standard Lightroom folder:

For some reason today I had to edit several pictures I made in 2006 and I got under "develop" in LR6 the dialogues from an earlier version of LR; I don't know which version.

It sounds like you are referring to the 'Process Version,' which is 2003, 2010, and 2012. In the Develop module go to the Camera Calibration panel (bottom panel) and next to Process: select 2012, which is the latest Process Version.

Ton Sonneveldt wrote:

I looked at the forum into discussions under "upgrade" and "merge" catalogs but I still am not sure what I can / should do, WITHOUT losing tags (as all my pictures are tagged in more than one way), lose development settings or losing pictures.

So my question is: Is there a safe way to upgrade or merge the catalogs from the older versions of LR to LR6, in such a way that I can edit the older pictures with the editing tools available under LR6?

Each time you install a new version of LR (2> 3> 4> 5> 6) it asks if you want to upgrade the previous version catalog. This brings over ALL of your edits added in the previous versions and links to all of the image files on your hard drive.

Your previous version LR 2, 3, 4, 5 Catalogs and Previews Folders are "obsolete" and of no use. If you are sure all pictures you imported in previous versions are present in the LR6 Catalog you can safely delete them to free up hard drive space. If you have any other questions or concerns please let us know.

1 person found this helpful