2 Replies Latest reply on Jun 13, 2016 6:33 AM by Mark_A

Batch change virtual copies to masters

Mark_A Level 1

Hi all,

I recently merged two catalogues and I'm trying to deal with all the virtual copies that were created by the process.

Basically, I merged my main catalog, which automatically writes xmp on file, with a catalogue that contained many duplicates but with no metadata on them, essentially creating a conflict.

Lightroom dealt with the conflict by creating virtual copies of the duplicate files and moving all metadata on them, leaving the masters bare in the catalog and the directory. So now I have all my ratings, labels, keywords and collection information of 8,000 images on the virtual copies, not on the masters....

I would like to get rid off the virtual copies and re-write the metadata on the masters but don't seem to find an easy way to do this.

This is what I tried so far,

1. Set virtual copies as masters

This would be my preferred way to do it, and then go remove the virtual copies safely. Unfortunately, I can't seem to be able to do this on more than one virtual copy at a time.

2. Remove Master

I thought that perhaps if I removed the master, the virtual copy would automatically take it's place. They both reference the same file... But no. Removing teh master, removes them as well. I guess that makes perfect sense on any other scenario!

3. Save metadata on file from VC

Unfortunately one cannot perform such an action

4. Sync metadata in stacks using Syncomatic plug-in

This would merge the keywords, which is an important step! But for all other metadata, the master's would overwrite the VC's, meaning losing them. Fortunately, you can only chose to sync Keywords, so that's something. The main issue here is all the collections. I would have to go and add them manually.

This is what I got so far, so I need some inspiration from you guys!

Are there any easy ways to do this that I haven't tried and didn't know about?

Is there a way to batch change virtual copies to masters?

Is there a way of syncing metadata with a choice of how to resolve conflict?

Is there a way to bring stacked images into collections where only one image of the stack appears? Or any workaround to syncing collections quickly? Again, with the choice of VC being the chosen one in case of conflict.

Or any other solutions, plug-ins etc? I would really appreciate your help

• 1. Re: Batch change virtual copies to masters
          johnrellis Most Valuable Participant

I merged my main catalog, which automatically writes xmp on file, with a catalogue that contained many duplicates but with no metadata on them, essentially creating a conflict. Lightroom dealt with the conflict by creating virtual copies of the duplicate files and moving all metadata on them, leaving the masters bare in the catalog and the directory. So now I have all my ratings, labels, keywords and collection information of 8,000 images on the virtual copies, not on the masters....

Rather than try to fix the result of the merge you've already done, it might be worthwhile to step back and reconsider how you did the merge.  (That's assuming you have a backup of the two catalogs you can revert to, right?)

To test my understanding, you have two catalogs, call them A and B.  B has many duplicate pics from A, and these duplicates have no metadata and are not placed in collections as they are in A.  While in A, you imported from B, selecting the option Replace: Metadata And Develop Settings. Pics that were in B but not A got merged into A just fine. But if a pic was in both catalogs, its master in A had its metadata replaced by the "empty metadata" from B, with a virtual copy being created containing the original metadata.   Worse, that master has been removed from the collections it was in, replaced by its virtual copy.

To avoid this, why not just select the option Replace: Nothing?  That way, only pics in B that aren't in A will get imported into A.

If my understanding is not correct, then please elaborate on the scenario, using the same terms (A and B). 

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Batch change virtual copies to masters
            Mark_A Level 1

Hi John,

You are absolutely right. That would be the best thing to do. Unfortunately I have done some work on it already which I didn't have a back-up for.

In the end I went for option 4. A big workaround but it only took a day, so not too bad.

I should've definitely make a catalogue back-up before merging... Learning the hard way!