4 Replies Latest reply on Jun 13, 2016 7:36 AM by AgentWalker

Previews on import question

AgentWalker Level 1

When I import pictures, it shows 3 tasks being performed. At the end of the import, it says "Smart previews were built or already exist for # Photos.

My question(s) are:

Is this a normal message that everyone gets?

I ask because it shouldn't have 3 things running per import, right?

When I look at the tasks, 2 say Creating smart previews, the other says importing.

It looks like its trying to create Smart previews twice. I have 1 to 1 previews being created as well.

Do I need to have those created if I'm doing smart previews?

Any help is appreciated.

Import Settings

Screen Shot 2016-06-09 at 12.39.31 PM.png

Message Pop Up

Screen Shot 2016-06-09 at 12.39.12 PM.png

The 3 tasks

Screen Shot 2016-06-09 at 12.38.53 PM.png

• 1. Re: Previews on import question
          dj_paige Level 9

You have checked the box that says "Build Smart Previews" so of course, Lightroom will do that. If you don't want Lightroom to do that, then uncheck the box.

When you import photos, there are really two tasks that have to happen every single time ... the first is the reading of the files from the camera card or disk location, and the second is the creation of (regular, not smart) previews.

• 2. Re: Previews on import question
            Akash Sharma Adobe Employee

Please uncheck the option "Build smart previews" in the Import Window.

ddcc.PNG

Refer How to use Smart Previews to view and edit photos in Photoshop Lightroom to know the advantages of creating Smart Previews in Lightroom.

Also you are creating 1:1 previews of your images upon import, which is taking considerable amount of time.You can set it to minimal to make the import process faster.

Refer   How to improve and speed up Photoshop Lightroom performance on more info.

Regards,

Akash

• 3. Re: Previews on import question
              AgentWalker Level 1

Of course I want it to create smart previews. This is why I checked the box.

I dont think your reading the whole post or I didn't convey it properly.

"When I look at the tasks, 2 say Creating smart previews, the other says importing."

WHY is it importing smart previews twice?

as for the "two things need to happen" line, when I turn smart previews off, I only get one task item, not the two that your proposing I should get.

Many thought is that I would turn on smart previews and get one more task but I'm getting duplicate tasks along with that pop up message that I nevergot before. Also, I've been importing like this for about 2 years and only got two total tasks.

Do you import with smart previews on and for you get the same three tasks with the pop up message?

• 4. Re: Previews on import question
                AgentWalker Level 1

I want the smart previews... That's not the issue and not what I'm asking about.

I also don't care about the 1to1 previews or the time it's taking. I never mentioned that...

did you read the post?