4 Replies Latest reply on Jun 28, 2016 5:07 PM by TᴀW

Help With Custom Footnotes Layout

ThomasMoreCenter

Hi!  I am working on a layout design for an academic volume.  I am an InDesign novice and have gotten a bit stumped by the footnote layout my boss would like.

The link is a PDF of the exact design that he wants.  I created this design using text boxes and superscript characters; those aren't "real" footnotes.   I have been playing with the Footnote Formatting menu, but I can't figure out how to replicate it.  Is it possible to get three columns across the bottom, like in this sample?

I am asking because the volume is over 1.5k pages long, and will have probably 10-20k footnotes.  Adding them in manually is going to take a million paid man-hours.  Any ideas for shortcuts?  (I am copying over text from a Word Doc that contains functioning footnotes.)

Link to current mock-up:  Life of Pico Sample 6-9-2016 PDF

Thank you in advance for your time.

• 1. Re: Help With Custom Footnotes Layout
          TᴀW Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Hi,

It is not currently possible to get multiple-column footnotes in InDesign natively.

If you're looking for a shortcut, and don't mind paying, check out our Footwork add-on, which can definitely automate the layout you're looking for:

http://www.id-extras.com/products/footwork

It's not free, and has a small learning curve, but for the quantity of pages and footnotes you're talking about, it's worth looking into.

There is a demo version for download, and I'd be happy to help you set up a test document.

Ariel

2 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Help With Custom Footnotes Layout
            ThomasMoreCenter Level 1

Thank you!  I will talk to my boss and get back to you. 

• 3. Re: Help With Custom Footnotes Layout
              ThomasMoreCenter Level 1

@TaW:  I think we would like to look into this option.  I can download the demo, and would appreciate some assistance setting up a test document. 

There were two other features that we were hoping to have, so maybe you could let me know if this script would help with that:

1) The footnotes are meant to be "continuous," i.e. more than one per line, and wrapping to the next line.

2) They are meant to have bold numbers so that each footnote stands out in the continuous text.

Can your script do these things?  If not, we might still be interested.

• 4. Re: Help With Custom Footnotes Layout
                TᴀW Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Hello,

Yes, Footwork can indeed do continuous footnotes, not a problem. As for making the numbers bold, there are various ways of doing that (regular find/change, or GREP style, etc.) in InDesign natively.

Regarding assistance with setting up a test doc, I'd be happy to help out. Send me an email: admin [at] id-extras.com and we'll take it from there.

Thanks,

Ariel

1 person found this helpful