6 Replies Latest reply on Jun 10, 2016 7:27 AM by ssprengel

getting this look

tishab33

Ok so these photos have a look that I really want to kinda recreate for a wedding shoot I have coming up soon. if anyone has any advice that would be awesome!

MCKENNA — jaci marie

COLLINS KIDS — jaci marie 

BRANDTLY + SYDNEY — jaci marie

Any any help or advice would be much appreciated! Thank you!

• 1. Re: getting this look
          Geoff the kiwi Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I suggest you ask the photographer who took them.....

• 2. Re: getting this look
            tishab33 Level 1

I did try! The photographer changed her style completely (can see on her newer posts) and she only told me how she got her new look. Thx tho

• 3. Re: getting this look
              Geoff the kiwi Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I suggest you Google Lightroom Presets and for sure you will find something similar... the images linked have not too much in effects...

• 4. Re: getting this look
                ssprengel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

It looks like 2 or 3 things are being done to those images as illustrated in the LR screenshot, below.

1)  The images have muted colors so decreasing the Saturation helps with that.  Vibrance affects skin tones less so use that instead of, or in conjunction with, the reduction of Saturation for people.  You can use specific ranges of the HSL Sat sliders to affect only particular colors.

2)  I don't know the official term for it, but my description would be that the blacks are crushed upwards toward a dark gray.  That is done by carefully dragging up the bottom dot of the tone curve, without adding a third point, keeping the rest of the line along the original diagonal.  You can do all the channels for neutral gray or try one and/or two of the RGB channels to change just the crushed blacks to a different color.

3)  To add some film-aging effect you can use Split Toning where the more the saturation is increased the more false tone is added to the dark and light ends. Play with the colors and saturation and balance point.  You can also experiment with the LR B/W Toned presets but then undo the B/W conversion up top setting back to Color, instead.

If you use just one channel for step 2, above, and don't keep the diagonal line on its original slope then you get a duo-tone look.  Here is an red-green dual tone using a negative Vibrance adjustment and only the Red channel of the tone curve without any split toning.  I'm not suggesting this is a good look, but just an example of what can be done:

2016-06-10_015755.png

A more subtle effect than I've shown in either example is probably what you want to go for.  If you do find something that works how you want, then you can save it as a preset.

There are plug-ins or external editors that will do the effect you've posted examples of but those will work on a copy of the image so it won't be raw anymore. If you can do it from within LR, entirely, then you retain the raw properties of the photo.

VSCO Film sets simulate all sorts of old film with a combination of camera profiles and presets so they are customized per camera model and aren't free.  I am not familiar enough with them to recognize if some of them are part of the toolkit of the photographer you reference:

Store | VSCO

• 5. Re: getting this look
                  getho Level 1

looks very like sigma 35mm art lens (or the 30mm). Thats the biggest thing affecting the look I'd say.

• 6. Re: getting this look
                    ssprengel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

A super-wide-aperture "art" lens does allow for a shallow depth-of-field, yes, but the colors are done with something other than a lens.