Try trashing your InDesign preferences.
If the swatch is in use then you can't delete it. Select the object that was using the gradient and assign it to a another swatch. Make sure nothing is using the corrupt swatch. Then you should be able to delete it.
Hello and thank you for your answer - this does NOT WORK -
I have tried every trick I know and nothing is working -
I have NEVER seen anything like this before and I have been working on InDesign from the beginning of time -
No thanks to Adobe either … I spent over 2 hours on the phone with them, 4 people, and went through an advisor online and they would not help me - they simply passed me around and around and refused to help me because I don't have their precious gawddam "CLOUD" version …. this is FREAKING CS6 and I know that somebody at Adobe has got to know what to do …. I am so pissed off at them right now ….
I am waiting for other answers but nothing is coming through for me ….
Do you have any other ideas ???
Thnx - John
1 person found this helpful
Sometimes saving an InDesign .indd file as an .idml file will straighten out a corrupt file.
- File > Save as
- Format=InDesign CS4 or Later (IDML)
- Close it, re-open the .idml file
- Save it as a new .indd Indesign doc.
Can you share the file via Dropbox?
I assume your OS is not El Capitan.
2 people found this helpful
Just going to chime in here in case anyone is still experiencing this as I had a similar problem that I managed to solve today.
I had a swatch that would crash indesign whenever I tried to delete it. I tried all the tricks to locate the swatch but couldn't find it anywhere. Also, exporting the IDML crashed as well. So I saved a TEST version and deleted all the spreads and created one new page totally clean. Then I could delete the swatch. So at this point I knew that there was an instance of the swatch hiding in there somewhere, so I deleted half the book and tried the swatch and etc until I narrowed down the page and the actual element. Turned out to be a text frame that didn't even have the swatch applied, but perhaps somehow that corrupt swatch got copied into the frame or something, but even clicking that frame would crash IND. So I managed to delete the element and delete the swatch. This was the test doc, so I deleted the same element in the real doc and it worked fine. Whew!
Good trouble-shooting, eric_u! And thank you for sharing your tip.