13 Replies Latest reply on Jun 16, 2016 12:58 PM by john beardsworth

Edit Capture Date of Multiple Photos

damarish4700470 Level 1

I am editing the capture date of multiple photos at one time. The original photos do not have capture dates or times in the metadata, or they have capture dates or times that are incorrect by hours, days, or even years.

I am using LR version 2015.5.1.

I am selecting multiple photos at a time (ctrl + a in a folder), and the first one is the "most selected." (Again, the fields for date/time in the metadata are empty or completely wrong.) Then I choose metadata + edit capture time. "Adjust to a specified date and time" is selected. I enter the correct date/time in the "corrected time" field. Then I choose "change." One or a few photos change correctly, but most are off by hours, days, or even years. 

At that point, there is usually an error on the photos ("The metadata for this photo has been changed by both Lightroom and another application. Should Lightroom import settings from disk or overwrite disk settings with those from the catalog?"). I choose "overwrite settings." (If I choose "Import Settings from Disk," the new date/time disappear and that metadata is again empty or wrong.)

Background information: The original photos were stored in iPhoto for many years with the incorrect capture dates/times (I didn't have the date/time set properly on my camera for a long time). iphoto is terrible, so I found Lightroom as a better solution. The process of moving the photos from iPhoto to LR was messy to say the least (three computers are involved and two external drives), thus the incorrect capture dates/times were lost. I am not a professional photographer; I am a mom that takes many photos of my children and I'm now trying to organize 7 years worth of photos!

I have seen on similar threads that I'm not the only one with this issue. I saw on another thread from 2 years ago that ExifMeta plugin would help, but I can't find that plugin to download. I wish I could change the capture date/time and choose the increments of date/time from one photo to the next.

Thank you in advance for your help.