5 Replies Latest reply on Jun 10, 2016 8:41 AM by Rick Gerard

how to rig 2d tank traders in after effects

himanshusood

i have created a 2d tank  in Adobe Illustrator. but i am looking for solution to rig and animate its traders inside of after effects

something like this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oswRVi8Un94 inside of after effcts Capture.PNG

• 1. Re: how to rig 2d tank traders in after effects
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Not really. This simply is beyond AE. A flat 2D animation would be possible (but then you wouldn't draw it in AI to begin with and one would use otehr effects), but having an animated extrusion would require you to animate the shape path frame by frame, which is a nightmare. If at all, you would need a plug-in like Element 3D or use Cinema 4D Lite, but even then your options are limited. This stuff isn't even trivial in a real 3D program if it's supposed to move realistically.

Mylenium

• 2. Re: how to rig 2d tank traders in after effects
            himanshusood Level 1

i'm looking for solution to rigg in 2d only

that image  was reference only. i can rigg normal car wheel but controlling traders with wheels is out my  zone

• 3. Re: how to rig 2d tank traders in after effects
              Kib Level 4

Using expressions on rotation based upon the relative scale of the cogs and perhaps two fancy strokes (one dashed) rigged to the rotational speed.   Not perfect by all means but done in 10min.

Dropbox - cog rig

• 4. Re: how to rig 2d tank traders in after effects
                Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

What Kib said. Using e.g. mask path with text typed on or a similarly configured shape layer with multiple strokes and animated offsets would give a sufficient representation. It will just be a matter of getting the speed right.

Mylenium

• 5. Re: how to rig 2d tank traders in after effects
                  Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I have an old project that does this quite well. Shape layers are used for the wheel. Two more shape layers are used to wrap tread around the wheels.  A track matte is used to hide half of the track wrapped around the wheels. Two other shape layers are used to make the tread that goes between the wheels. These layers are twice as long as they need to be and a track matte hides part of the tread that extends beyond the wheels. An expression is used the calculates the circumference of the wheel by the size of the shape layer to move the top and bottom straight portions of the track in sync with the rotation of the wheels. When the wheels complete 180° of rotation the position is reset for both treds so the effect is seamless.

This whole arrangement is precomposed and then an expression is added to the main wheel rotation inside the pre-comp that points to the position of the  pre-comp in the main comp. The expression takes into consideration the scale of the nested comp and rotates the wheels which move the track in perfect sync with the position of the pre-comp.  As a final tweak I added a displacement effect to the top tank tread to put a little curve in it and make it bounce a bit and synced that to the rotation of the main wheel.

That should get you started. If I get a chance I'll post a screenshot of that comp sometime later.