11 Replies Latest reply on Jun 11, 2016 8:43 AM by vumadave

How to prepare a DVD master for multiple duplication?

vumadave

Gratitude for information concerning how to prepare a DVD master for multiple duplication.

Flashback to the twenty-five years I was quite prolific with 16 m.m.   Frequently, I had to educate film labs that they could indeed print my film.  What the labs saw as errors, they had to see as what I wanted.  Now after a decade a half of burning my own DVDs, I want to get 100 dupes of my latest project using PE. 

Here is what the duplicating service says, Took a quick look at your client’s disc and found some errors during playback.  Disc appears to be out-of-spec in programming.

- Menus have highlights that our outside display area in letterbox mode (illegal highlight)

- Disc stops (no post command) at end of last video.  I don’t think this was intentional.”

I have a simple menu of main page and a secondary one with three clips. 

Scene Markers at:  5:00, 23:34:16 & 48:55:02

Menu Markers at:            23:23:13 & 48:52:24

The menu is Adobe’s Faux Widescreen.  In their comment I don’t understand (illegal highlight).

Video ends: 1;37;09;06    I MAY HAVE MISPLACED THE END SLIDER TO A SECOND BEFORE ENDING (BLACK SCREEN). !!??

I sent the duplicating service a form that teased out the different parts of their comment and asked

Two questions for each of the parts: 1) Consequences of duplicating?  (2)  Suggested action?

Unfortunately, they only have automatic machines.  They cannot educate me about what is expected for a “correct” master.

Using Premier Elements 10 and intend to get 14 as soon as I complete this project. The video is about a Circus from Cambodia.

Thanks for any suggestion and information.

-David Lee

• 1. Re: How to prepare a DVD master for multiple duplication?
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Have  you completed a DVD burn and have you created a disc that plays in your disc player?

What are you taking to the duplicating service? The disc or electronic files?

• 2. Re: How to prepare a DVD master for multiple duplication?
            vumadave Level 1

Thanks for your question, Steve Grisetti !  Yes, I have burned DVD masters that play well in my Mac and Dell.

• 3. Re: How to prepare a DVD master for multiple duplication?
              vumadave Level 1

Oh, I am seeing how this works.  As I mistakenly place your good question, Steve Grisetti, I have created several versions of disc masters.  Burned on my Dell.  Plays well on Dell and my Mac.

• 4. Re: How to prepare a DVD master for multiple duplication?

If your disc works, it may just be as simple as turning it over to a duplicating service and having them make copies.

Another option is to burn your DVD as an ISO file on hour hard drive rather than directly to a disc. You can then use that ISO file and a program like ImgBurn to spit out as many copies of your DVD -- each one with the full integrity of an original.

• 5. Re: How to prepare a DVD master for multiple duplication?
                  vumadave Level 1

Again, thanking you, Steven Grisetti.  Unfortunately, I was not clear.  What I put in blue and italic was a response of a duplicating service I sent a master DVD.  Also, I am unfamiliar with the terms ISO files, and ImgBurn.  Are they any different than what I have already done to make the various masters and what I have done sharing previous iMovie and PE projects?

• 6. Re: How to prepare a DVD master for multiple duplication?

Those are some interesting concerns expressed by your duplicating service. I might shop for another duplicating service. I think their concerns are a little too specific for a basic non-professional DVD.

• 7. Re: How to prepare a DVD master for multiple duplication?
                      Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Professional or non professional the dvd should be without errors.

• 8. Re: How to prepare a DVD master for multiple duplication?
                        vumadave Level 1

Once more, I am appreciative of your effort, Steve Grisetti.  Can you suggest a less fussy duplicating service?  I was very impressed that CopyCat in Minneapolis gave me so much attention to my making of a label and case insert.  I am quite proud of the "art work" on this project.  But, as I said before, when they make DVDs they only have automated machines.  I would buy 100 blank DVDs with label imprint and cases with inserts from them, but I am not sure if the DVD can burn on my computer that has the PE project.

• 9. Re: How to prepare a DVD master for multiple duplication?
                          vumadave Level 1

Thank You, Ann Bens.  I would like to know more of your thinking.  My thinking is in line with what I taught when I taught filmmaking to adults, undergrad and graduate students in Fine Arts.  One can use the rules in making an art project and making interesting projects.  However, what makes spectacular projects is having both a Bad Idea and the courage to go through completely with that Bad Idea.  What one has is a project that works on a very special level.           This particular project is not mine, it is primarily for the performers in Cambodia.  They have trained very well in acrobatics and comedy.  Many of these performers began their lives as Trash Kids -- subject to domestic violence, human trafficking and forced labor.    So, the project isn't that "Bad."  What you wrote has resonance with me.       Consequently, can you suggests how I make a DVD master that does not run afoul of how duplicating machines are automated?

Will the machines accept PE's menus?   Were the placement of the Scene and Menu markers correct?

• 10. Re: How to prepare a DVD master for multiple duplication?
                            Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I gather these dvd's are shipped to Cambodia.

If so you cannot afford to have a DVD with errors.

I would play it save and made a DVD without a menu.

Or export the movie with a lossless codec (file will be huge) and drop it in a new project and do the menu all over again.

Or export the movie to a DVD compatible file and do the authoring in different DVD authoring program which does not require re-encoding

• 11. Re: How to prepare a DVD master for multiple duplication?
                              vumadave Level 1

Thanks for taking the time and effort, Ann Bens.  (1) Actually, I want to find a Cambodian going back home that will hand deliver the DVDs.  The remainder will go to friends and colleagues, some have actually donated to the project.   (2) The problem is the work 98 minutes.  I for one enjoy, e.g. the work of Chantal Akermann or the lengthy Stan Brakhage, etc. films.  However, most people do not have that sort of training.   They numb over with all the 60 cycle flickering of our media.  Therefore at the end of the first two parts, I want to return to the main menu.  With two breaks for making a sandwich, relieving oneself, or just stretching, I hope the audience will remain fresh.         

(3) You suggest a lossless codec.  (?)  I archive my PE projects on AVCHD MP4-H264 1920x1080p 30.   Should I drop that into a new PE file and try new menus?  (seems a simpler attempt than the second option you suggested)          OR , again you suggest, exporting movie to a DVD compatible file and authoring in a different DVD authoring program.  Which do you suggest?  Where do I find it?  How do I know if it needs re-encoding.  

Again, thanks, Ms. Bens.  I believe  you have important information.  I just have to learn what you are suggesting.