12 Replies Latest reply on Jun 15, 2016 5:17 AM by rob day

BOOK PDF spreads_almost works

Fran7201

I am using the BOOK function for the first time, though I am a veteran (15+ years) user of InDesign. I have successfully set up the sections, each as a separate, multi-page document. Everything is working beautifully, except when I go to create a PDF intended to allow the user to print in spreads. (The SPREADs box is checked.) And while the inner pages of each document export as spreads, a section that ends with an even page number (left-hand page) does not combine as a spread with the first page of the next section (right-hand page). The result is lots of successful spreads, but with several single pages in between some sections—but only where sections end on an even-numbered page and another begins with an odd-numbered page. Is it possible to get these two pages from the different sections to connect as one spread so that the final document is one continuous book of spreads throughout?

Here are the specs I set up for each document/section:

1. Page numbering is set for each document to begin where the previous section left off.
      2. No chapter numbering on any document.
      3. No variable text in any document.
      4. 500 pages total.
      5. I am using the PDF from BOOK function in the BOOK flyout menu.
      6. Again, SPREADS is checked and am exporting for a PRINT PDF.

I thought that this problem would be a common user error, but cannot find any thread that covers the problem. Seems like a simple problem with an equally simple answer. I hope that is the case. Thank you.

• 1. Re: BOOK PDF spreads_almost works
          BarbBinder Adobe Community Professional

That's because the first page of a chapter is a one-page spread, and is the last page, if it ends on a left page—so it's doing what you asked. 

If you uncheck print spreads when you make the pdf the thumbnails will show up correctly based on how you set it up. Then the user can decide which page(s) to print. If they want the spread that contains 4–5, then they can pick that page range in the print dialog box.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: BOOK PDF spreads_almost works
            Salah Fadlabi Level 5

My suggestion is to export all pages of the book as pdf pages and not spreads, then after that create a new indesign documnet with facing pages and with numbers pages of the book then run MultiPageImorter script.

Zanelli Releases MultiPageImporter for Importing both PDF and INDD Files

• 3. Re: BOOK PDF spreads_almost works
              Fran7201 Level 1

Thank you for such quick responses. Both suggestions seem like good solutions. I will try both, but it makes sense just to leave the document as single pages and let the user decide which portions to print rather than force the user to print spreads they do not need. Good, logical suggestion. I suspected that what I was asking the book to do was not possible without a work-around or a special script. Thanks again. Both are great answers!

• 4. Re: BOOK PDF spreads_almost works
                mikebikel

I'm having the same issue. I'm afraid neither 'solution' being proposed addresses the fundamental issue with the -export book as PDF- function. If the export worked properly, 'doing what I asked' exporting spreads, the verso ending a chapter would be properly mated with the recto opening the next chapter.

Like a book.

Because that's what's being exported.

A book. In spreads.

Further, the 'solution' suggests a 'user' in the equation 'printing'.

There is no "user" choosing which page(s) to print.

The export is a book in spreads. No user. No printing. Just a book, paginated entirely in spreads.

Basic stuff.

This question has not yet been answered.

• 5. Re: BOOK PDF spreads_almost works
                  rob day Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Basic stuff.

For print work you would never export as spreads because it would make the printer's page imposition job overly difficult if not impossible—no printer would want reader spreads. In AcobatPro you can setup the document's initial view as facing pages—Two-up Continuous (Cover Page), which will display single pages as spreads:

Screen Shot 2016-06-14 at 1.32.37 PM.png

• 6. Re: BOOK PDF spreads_almost works
                    BarbBinder Adobe Community Professional

The answer to the question, Mike, is to forgo exporting as spreads and instead export as pages. Acrobat can handle the spread view as per Rob's post directly above. This will give you "just a book, paginated entirely in spreads." I recognize the temptation to use the spread option, but that is not the solution for your scenario.

• 7. Re: BOOK PDF spreads_almost works

Also, Acrobat's initial view setting works for AcrobatPro and Reader, but most browser PDF plugins don't honor the 2-up view, so for web display you're out-of-luck.

PDF is still primarily a print format. This is a common 8-up, 16 page press signature. You can see why the printer needs pages, except for the center spread none of the pages match up as spreads in the imposition:

Screen Shot 2016-06-14 at 3.25.21 PM.png

• 8. Re: BOOK PDF spreads_almost works
                        mikebikel Level 1

Rob's post is more on-point, if a bodged solution, though I'm not suggesting that this PDF ever go to a printer for imposition. As a book designer, I understand imposition. My need is for client review, and possibly posting to the web.

Having never explored any Initial View properties beyond Magnification, I admit to having missed the Page Layout option for Two-Up Continuous (Cover Page). Works nicely, particularly for the 1pt rule that runs the gutter and delineates pages for a more clear sense of inner margins.

That written, as Rob's follow-up suggests, the method isn't robust, rather, it's breakable. That makes it less useful, and reliable since there's no way to control a user's software install.

It would be useful if Adobe built the solution into the Export Book as PDF function in a way that worked as expected, and wasn't breakable.

• 9. Re: BOOK PDF spreads_almost works

That makes it less useful, and reliable since there's no way to control a user's software install.

If your client is using Acrobat Reader the initial view setting would always work because it is set in the PDF and Reader will honor it—I've never seen 2-up work in a browser.

PDF has never been reliable for screen display because as you noted there's no way to control the end reader software. It's more than just spread vs. page, there's also color management, zoom magnification, ability to handle transparency correctly, line anti-aliasing, etc. Reader, OSX Preview, other 3rd party readers, and a browser could all handle the display differently.

• 10. Re: BOOK PDF spreads_almost works

If you really needed to export Books as spreads you could setup the chapters to break on right pages. Something like this—16 pages split into two with the chapter 1 break at page 7 and the chapter 2 starting as a spread with page 8 on the left:

Screen Shot 2016-06-14 at 5.43.39 PM.png

Screen Shot 2016-06-14 at 5.44.21 PM.png

The book exported as spreads:

Screen Shot 2016-06-14 at 5.44.41 PM.png

• 11. Re: BOOK PDF spreads_almost works
                              mikebikel Level 1

Thanks for apply some thought to this.

Yes, you could force it. However, for instance, the folios in my prelim section are numbered in lowercase roman numerals, and have a given running head, whereas the folios and running heads in my chapters differ, using Arabic figures and chapter titles on recto. This solution will require less-than-neat section management, creating place-holder recto master pages based on next chapter styles. This runs counter to the internal logic of book set-up, auto- page numbering, etc. etc.

Again, Adobe fixing the Export Book as PDF -in spreads- to work properly is one for the suggestion box, if anyone is listening.

• 12. Re: BOOK PDF spreads_almost works

is one for the suggestion box, if anyone is listening.

InDesign Feature Requests