3 Replies Latest reply on Jun 10, 2016 6:36 PM by Steve Grisetti

Problems with RAM

Lukey-Luke3000

After using Premiere Elements 11 for almost two years, I began to run into some problems concerning RAM. I would open the program and my RAM would completely max out (when it shouldn't). The problem was fixed when I upgraded the operating system on my computer from Windows 7 to Windows 10. However, after creating a few projects (and it working fine), the problem occurred again. I happen to think that this is a problem with the program and not my computer. I was wondering if I purchasing Premiere 14 and upgrading would this fix the problem.

• 1. Re: Problems with RAM
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

It depends on what's going on -- and for how long. An d of course which processor you have and how much RAM.

An intensive program like Premiere Elements does need a lot of power to fully deploy. But, depending on your hardware, that shouldn't take more than a minute or so. There is also a process of the Organizer building your catalog and doing background auto-analyzing of your files, which the program does when you first install it and can take a couple of hours. But that should settle down once it's built the catalog. You can, by the way, turn the Auto Analyzer off in the Organizer's preferences if it bothers you too much. Newer versions of Premiere Elements have refined this feature, and the Auto Analyzer is now virtually invisible on most modestly powered systems.

BTW, did you reinstall Premiere Elements after you upgraded to Windows 10? That's always a good idea.

Finally, since version 12, Premiere Elements is a 64-bit program. So it will perform more efficiently and make better use of your RAM than older versions did.

But, again, you don't say how much RAM you have. With Windows 10, 8 gig is pretty much standard.

• 2. Re: Problems with RAM
            Lukey-Luke3000 Level 1

Yes 8 GB is how much I have, which I believe is enough because I was using PRE 11 for a couple years without any problems. All I really want to know is if I upgrade to PRE 14, will this problem continue.

• 3. Re: Problems with RAM
              Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

It's as simple as downloading the free trial to find out!