15 Replies Latest reply on Aug 16, 2016 6:30 AM by marios74

Unintentionally split Lr folder

rodc9726033

Hi. I have all my Lr images and catalog stored on a WD My Book. Recently detached the external drive while I rebooted my iMac. Now my Lr library lists the same WD My Book folder twice and creates a new subfolder (identically named e.g. 2016.05.12NZ vacation) which takes any images that I edit in Photoshop. I cannot click and drag the images to the original subfolder (Lr says the image is already there). Can anyone help please?

I apologise if this is a banal question, but I cannot find the answer when I search this forum, or google it.

• 1. Re: Unintentionally split Lr folder
          Just Shoot Me Adobe Community Professional

Shut the Mac down completely, Turn it Off. Disconnect the external drive then power the Mac back up. Once it has full booted, wait about 1-2 minutes to make sure, Open Finder and the listing of the external drive should not be in the Devices area. Then reconnect the external drive and wait for it to show up in Finder. Once that happens open LR and check that you only have one external drive listed.

• 2. Re: Unintentionally split Lr folder
            rodc9726033 Level 1

Thank you for your answer. Has not solved the problem. Lr still thinks there are two separate external drives. Thank you anyway.

• 3. Re: Unintentionally split Lr folder

Please post a screen shot of the Folders area of the LR Library module.

• 4. Re: Unintentionally split Lr folder
                rodc9726033 Level 1

Will do ASAP. Currently upgrading from Yosemite to El Capitan...thought I might as well try that...another 30 min to install.

• 5. Re: Unintentionally split Lr folder
                  rodc9726033 Level 1

Hi JSM. Have attached screenshot of the Folders area as you requested. My external hard drive is the folder called lightroom A. It is obvious from the screen shot that the original "lightroom A" has somehow developed an identically named subfolder.  The newer folder called "lightroom A" does not have this subfolder. Any photoshop edits of images in sub sub folders in original "lightroom A" cannot find their way back to their correct location and go instead to new "lightroom A". What a mess!

Chers, RodScreen Shot Lr folders.png

• 6. Re: Unintentionally split Lr folder

I found this but I don't know if it will help.

Volumes and drives display as folders in Lightoom

Also this thread but no real answer.

Using a Mac and a disk drive appears twice in the LR Folder Panel

This seems to happen every now and then with what I can, or can't, find is an answer to solve it.

• 7. Re: Unintentionally split Lr folder
                      Jim Wilde Level 5

It looks like it might be the "capitalisation" issue which crops up from time to time. The OS file-system is case-insensitive, Lightroom is unfortunately case-sensitive.....so the OS would see "Lightroom A" and "lightroom A" as the same, whereas Lightroom would think they are two separate things.

The fix is fairly easy once the actual issue has been identified. So could you post a screenshot of the Folder window showing the drive and top-level folder(s), and could you then in Lightroom hover the mouse folder over the "lightroom A" folder under the first "Lightroom A" drive, then wait for the tool-tip pop-up which will list the complete path to that folder. Make a note of the path, ensuring that you identify capital letters. Then do the same for any of the three folders listed at the bottom under the second "Lightroom A" drive.

Post the two paths and the screenshot, that should be enough info to provide details of the fix.

• 8. Re: Unintentionally split Lr folder

I also found this question over on the Mac forums with one reply.

external drive showing up twice in finder | Communities

• 9. Re: Unintentionally split Lr folder
                          rodc9726033 Level 1

Thank you again for your help JSM. I have saved images on the second version of my "lightroom A"  back to my internal hard drive and this "second" folder has spontaneously disappeared. I will try shifting them back to the external hard drive in the morning (night time here) and hope the second "lightroom A" doesn't reappear. If all else fails I might uninstall and reinstall lightroom.

Although expensive,  I always keep my original SD cards and don't reuse. So I might just end up re-importing >600G of images into a new version of Lightroom.

As Scott Kelby says "don't mess with folders"!!

Thanks again, Rod

• 10. Re: Unintentionally split Lr folder
                            richardplondon Level 4

Re-making a catalog just because of a folder problem, seems excessive to me. Just correct whatever that problem is...

IMO re-importing is almost NEVER the answer, in practice, even though it might feel instinctively so in moments of frustration.

It doesn't sound as if there's any problem with the image folders themselves. So it all depends on how and where these image folders are stored. At present they are displayed by LR directly in your drive volume with no intervening levels of folder hierarchy shown. Is that physically the case, when viewed in Finder - or is there actually some containing folder structure (and/or or multiple folders, e.g. arranged by year).

If the image folders do have a containing (parent) folder, rather than all existing "loose" in the drive's root folder. that makes subsequent management much simpler. Also getting LR to THINK about such a folder, and about its actual location on disk, rather than just maintaining a successive list of 'folders-that-have-been-imported-at-different-times' - this is in my experience a useful step. By going to one of the folders that are displayed, and selecting "Show Parent" - LR then re-considers its entire Folders panel arrangement, and the relative organisation of the items shown within, and makes that correspond better and more consistently, to the actual situation in the file system.

If such a parent folder does not exist, one can be made (or several, year by year, or whatever) and the image folders moved accordingly. If this is done inside LR that'll be the end of it. It this is done outside of LR, it is a few seconds' work to re-browse just one of the affected image folders, to indicate its new location, and the rest of its fellow folders will follow suit automatically. And 'show' this parent folder, if it is not already showing.

1 person found this helpful
                            • 11. Re: Unintentionally split Lr folder
                              rodc9726033 Level 1

Thank you Richard

Last night I transferred a folder back to my internal drive. This morning the folder is greyed out with the? icon. I cannot find the images in either internal or external hard drive. I can still see them in library and develop modes, but cannot work on them in develop mode "The file could not be found"

PS: I get the same result for images stored in my external drive after detaching the drive from the Mac...I can still see the images, but not work on them. How can I see images in an external (non wi-fi) drive which is not connected?

• 12. Re: Unintentionally split Lr folder
                                richardplondon Level 4

In order to work on an image in LR, three things need to be true:

1. the image has been at some point, and still is, imported into your Catalog (otherwise, no thumbnail)
                                2. the Catalog's records about where that image exists on disk, are accurate and up to date
                                3. when LR goes to use that addressing, this is successful - the drive is not disconnected

When you have 1, but NOT both 2 and 3, the image is seen but not editable in Develop etc.

Moving an image (or a folder) behind LR's back, or renaming it or its folder, such that its current address DIFFERS from the prior address that the Catalog remembers for that image (or folder) - breaks requirement 2.

Moving or renaming an image within Lightroom, maintains requirement 2.

If requirement 2 is broken, you can Find / Update Location and correct the wrong addressing, so that LR knows where stuff now is.

Losing connection to an external drive temporarily breaks requirement 3. But if nothing else changes, re-connecting the drive using the same volume name etc as before, rectifies this again so everything works as before.

It is very laborious manipulating a lot of single image folders one at a time. But if you have a containing folder that all of these image folders live inside, and make it visible within LR's Folders panel, you can easily manipulate THIS - as a single point of management.

• 13. Re: Unintentionally split Lr folder

rodc9726033 wrote:

Thank you Richard

Last night I transferred a folder back to my internal drive. This morning the folder is greyed out with the? icon. I cannot find the images in either internal or external hard drive. I can still see them in library and develop modes, but cannot work on them in develop mode "The file could not be found"

PS: I get the same result for images stored in my external drive after detaching the drive from the Mac...I can still see the images, but not work on them. How can I see images in an external (non wi-fi) drive which is not connected?

How did you transfer the folder from your external drive to the internal drive, with LR or the file manager in the OS?

Use the Search feature in the OS to search both hard drives, internal and external, for one of the file names of the missing images.

Your images are not inside LR. LR only references where they are stored on your hard drives into the LR catalog file, a database file. If you remove, delete, or move images from your hard drive from outside of LR or disconnect an external drive they are stored on LR will place a Question mark (?) next to them because it no longer knows where to look for the actual image.

I have found never to trust LR to move folders from one drive to another and If I do use LR to do the moving I always check it has actually been done by using the file manager program included with every OS to make sure they actually got moved.

• 14. Re: Unintentionally split Lr folder
                                    rodc9726033 Level 1

Thanks again JSM. I have managed to track down all my missing images and get them back into correct folders. The split personality external hard drive is an issue I can work around. New downloads go into the doppelgänger, previous downloads are in the original. I can work with that. 

• 15. Re: Unintentionally split Lr folder
                                      marios74

This solved it for me! I just went to the folder that:

- In the folder structure in Finder was exactly where it should be

- In LR it was showing up outside of the parent folder

And clicked on "Show Parent". LR automatically "re-thought" the location and placed it correctly under the parent folder, thus mirroring the same folder structure that exists in Finder.

Thanks!!