9 Replies Latest reply on Jun 14, 2016 1:14 PM by Nancy OShea

FTP Login credentials have stopped working on Dreamweaver

rusmuscat

I connect via FTP to my server from two different Mac computers, one running Dreamweaver CS3 and another -- CS5.

One day the computer running CS3 stopped connecting using login credentials. Same credentials work fine from other computer.

An expert from Adobe told me to trash a bunch of preference files and "clean install the software", but after I reinstalled and restarted, Dreamweaver still remembered my serial number and the address of the FTP server to which it still won't connect. So it wasn't really a "clean" reinstall, was it?

Does anyone know how to do a real "clean install" or perhaps just trash the file that contains the serial number and the (probably corrupt) login credentials?

Thanks for your help.

Vlad

• 1. Re: FTP Login credentials have stopped working on Dreamweaver
          BenPleysier Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Before anything else, try Deleting a corrupted cache file

If that does not work, rename the Configuration folder to Configuration_backup or similar.

Note, you will have to close Dreamweaver on each of the above and restart after.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: FTP Login credentials have stopped working on Dreamweaver
            Nancy OShea Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Color me obvious but have you tried creating a new site definition with correct log-in details?

Nancy O.

• 3. Re: FTP Login credentials have stopped working on Dreamweaver
              rusmuscat Level 1

Yes, Nancy O., that was tried, but with no success.

Sent from my iPhone

• 4. Re: FTP Login credentials have stopped working on Dreamweaver
                Jon Fritz II Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I'm guessing there's some setting buried in the many dialogue screens that is different between the two machines. To test that theory, try this one...

1. In the computer where DW is working, go to...

Site > Manage Sites > click the site > Export

...to create a .ste file for the site settings.

2. Copy that .ste over to the "bad" computer.

3. On the "bad" computer go to...

Site > Manage Sites > Import

...to bring the .ste file in as a new site.

4. Verify the local root folder is pointing to the correct location

5. Try connecting/uploading

If it works, it was just a missing checkbox/minor setting difference somewhere in those screens/tabs.

• 5. Re: FTP Login credentials have stopped working on Dreamweaver
                  rusmuscat Level 1

Hello, and thank you for your response. Unfortunately this did not work.

First I deleted the Cache file. When that did not work, I deleted (renamed and moved) the entire Configuration file.

At that point, Dreamweaver did say "Cache file has been corrupted" or something to that effect, and said it needs to be recreated.

But that did not work either.

Then I made a copy of the Configuration folder (the entire folder) from the computer from which Dreamweaver does connect and dragged it over to the computer from which it does not connect. Again, DW rebuilt the cache file, but still did not connect.

What is very odd is that the site definitions defined on the working computer did not copy over! I was sure they would.

All the old site definitions were still there, and none of the new ones were there.

Then I followed Jon Fritz's suggestions and brought over the "good" .ste file. That created a new site definition, for which I had to enter the login credentials. However, that did not fix the problem either.

I should add that all this was tested on yet another brand new re-install -- from scratch -- of DW from the original disk, after the previous install was uninstalled. At no point did DW ask for the serial number again. Nor did the uninstall/re-install process get rid of the old site definitions. (It even remembered the files I had last worked on!)

So, somewhere, my friends, the wily Dreamweaver programmers have lodged a file that retains the serial number and all the site definitions, and that file has somehow become corrupted. I find myself shouting "Out, out, damned spot!"

Still hoping for a solution.

• 6. Re: FTP Login credentials have stopped working on Dreamweaver
                    Jon Fritz II Adobe Community Professional & MVP

A normal uninstall/reinstall will leave behind files that can cause problems with the new installation. For a fresh reinstall, use the Adobe Cleaner Tool...

Use the Adobe Creative Cloud Cleaner Tool to solve installation problems

• 7. Re: FTP Login credentials have stopped working on Dreamweaver
                      Ben M Adobe Community Professional

Because this is Mac, your passwords are actually saved in the Keychain and you could be dealing with a corrupt Keychain.  If that is the case follow the steps below:

First open up the Keychain app in the Utitilies folder (or hit cmd+space for spotlight and type "keychain" it will be first).  Then in the search box at the top of Keychain, type "SiteServer".  That will bring up the DW passwords.  If you don't know your passwords, open each up and write them down.  Once you know them, delete the records that came up from your search.  Then proceed to open DW.  All passwords will now be gone and you will have to go through your site's 1-by-1 and re-add the passwords.  The site definitions will still be in tact, only the passwords will have to be re-saved since DW uses the Apple keychain to store passwords and not the configuration files.  Close DW and re-open again, your passwords should be good to go.

• 8. Re: FTP Login credentials have stopped working on Dreamweaver
                        rusmuscat Level 1

Thank you for your suggestion, Jon,

Unfortunately, after I uninstalled Dreamweaver CS3, following the instructions from Adobe, restarted, and launched the Adobe Cleaner Tool you recommended, the Cleaner could no longer find any presence or components of Dreamweaver to "clean." The Cleaner screen was a blank slate -- other than my other Adobe products (InDesign, Acrobat Pro, and Illustrator, all of which are CS4 and 5).

So essentially this did not in any way advance the cause.

Vlad

• 9. Re: FTP Login credentials have stopped working on Dreamweaver
                          Nancy OShea Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Use a 3rd party FTP client like Filezilla while you work on the problem.

FileZilla - The free FTP solution

Something else to consider.  It's possible your Mac user account is corrupted.  Try creating a new super user with full read/write permissions.

Nancy O.