1 2 Previous Next 42 Replies Latest reply on Jan 7, 2017 5:45 AM by Geoff the kiwi

Lightroom 6.5 - Very Slow Import

catebrownphoto Level 1

I have been running Lightroom on my iMac for years, since LR3.  I updated to LR6 and El Capitan, and it has been working just fine until about LR 6.5 which showed some issues.  I'm on LR 6.6 and El Capitan 10.11.5 now and it has not been resolved.

IMPORT is running EXTREMELY slow.  I shoot events and it used to take about 15-20 minutes to import a full 32GB card.  Now it takes an hour or more.  It's also taking much longer to build previews than before.

Also, files are getting imported in random order, not based on their time stamp.  So if I rename files during import the file sequencing is not in order when I sort by capture time.  I've resolved to not rename during import, and after importing I sort by capture time and apply my naming conventions, so a step that used to save me time during import is now of no use.

None of my equipment or workflow has changed.  I shoot with a Nikon D600 and D750, always NEF.  Importing to the local HD.  The rest of my computer is running fine.  I am just so incredibly surprised by the giant lag time import now has.   The amount of time this is now taking is excruciating.

Thoughts?

• 1. Re: Lightroom 6.5 - Very Slow Import
          dj_paige Level 9

Make sure it's not your card reader that is malfunctioning causing this slowness. Make sure there's nothing wrong with the camera card.

If the order is not correct, then in Lightroom change the sort order. This can be done in the Import dialog box or in the Library Module, whichever you prefer.

• 2. Re: Lightroom 6.5 - Very Slow Import
            yupenggu Level 1

I am on windows 7 and experiencing the EXTREMELY slow import since the June update. 460 raw files took 1.5 hr to build the 1:1 preview. And the LR is not responsive during that process.

None of my workflow has changed as well. I have a i7 5820, only 14% of the CPU is being used. Everything I do during the import with preview build takes at least 5 seconds to respond. It's painful...

• 3. Re: Lightroom 6.5 - Very Slow Import
              dj_paige Level 9

Please read my earlier answer.

• 4. Re: Lightroom 6.5 - Very Slow Import
                yupenggu Level 1

No, it's not card or card reader. Everything is on a SSD already. It's the preview building that is painfully slow. And the UI is almost not responsive during that process.

• 5. Re: Lightroom 6.5 - Very Slow Import
                  DdeGannes Adobe Community Professional

Quote "Everything is on a SSD already. It's the preview building that is painfully slow. And the UI is almost not responsive during that process."

All your files are on one SSD drive? What is the drive size and how much free space is available on the drive. You will need at least 20 to 25 %  of the drive capacity free.  so if the drive is 500GB make sure there is at least 100GB free.

• 6. Re: Lightroom 6.5 - Very Slow Import
                    yupenggu Level 1

512G SSD with more than half free space. And it's dedicated to pictures.

• 7. Re: Lightroom 6.5 - Very Slow Import
                      dj_paige Level 9

What drive are the catalog and previews on?

• 8. Re: Lightroom 6.5 - Very Slow Import
                        roxannh45472705 Level 1

I am experiencing super slow importing as well - and I am only importing from my computer hard drive 35 jpegs  - I have never experienced such super agonizing slowness with LR ever before.

So I decided to try a "new catalog" and presto bingo!  no problems - imported quickly as usual.  I am guessing that my previous catalog had maybe

too many files, folders, images? it isn't the end of the world for me to start a new catalog.  Also, I am unsure how I would correct this issue.

• 9. Re: Lightroom 6.5 - Very Slow Import
                          1Levitator Level 1

I'm using LR 6.5 on a high-power HP workstation with enough memory, hard disk space and Win7 running on SSD. Fast. Tonight I imported some 300 images and building the standard previews was incredibly slow. Had to go away for an hour and when I came back the progress was about 5%... Then something happend and I cannot put my finger on this 100%. I happend to flip between the library view and develop view and the performance increased by a light-year. It took only (hah hah) 5 minutes to do the rest! Maybe that nudged something in the program and got it out of an endless loop or something. Try this and let the community know if this was real or just my imagination.

• 10. Re: Lightroom 6.5 - Very Slow Import
                            Pete.Green Adobe Employee

This issue should be fixed in the CC 2015.6.1 update that went live today. Please update Lightroom to the latest version.

More info here: Lightroom CC 2015.6.1 now available

Regards

Pete

• 11. Re: Lightroom 6.5 - Very Slow Import
                              Brian Stormont Level 1

I'm running Lightroom CC 2015.6.1. and am still seeing unusably slow imports.   It seems the slowness started a couple updates ago.

• 12. Re: Lightroom 6.5 - Very Slow Import
                                Geoff the kiwi Adobe Community Professional & MVP

What is your OS and where are you importing from and to where, using what connection.

• 13. Re: Lightroom 6.5 - Very Slow Import
                                  1Levitator Level 1

Version 2015.6.1 fixed my problem. Works like charm!

1 person found this helpful
                                  • 14. Re: Lightroom 6.5 - Very Slow Import
                                    VideoTrainer Level 1

This is happening for me to.  I have Lightroom 6.6.1.  I took 5 minutes to import 1 jpg from the internal hard drive on my mac laptop. 

Excruciating. 

I've been researching this like crazy for the past few days.  It doesn't matter what version of Lightroom I'm using.  I tried a fresh install of just the original 6.0.  Then tried various upgrades until now I'm at 6.6.1 and nothing is helping. 

• 15. Re: Lightroom 6.5 - Very Slow Import
                                      Johan_Mellin Level 1

Something is just not right in the code.

I also get it to work fine after "the latest update", but then next time or some imports later I'm back at 30 min to import from card reader. Card reader to internal SSD take avbout 3 min, and even from internal SSD it takes the 30 or so minutes.

As a user since 1,2 i have already passed the crossroads in my mind, I'm tired of this

I'm a bit angry that I can't show Adobe my conumer power by not buying the product anymore as it is included with other apps I use in CC

Anyhow just waiting for the release of my new RAW developer and I'm out.

1 person found this helpful
                                      • 16. Re: Lightroom 6.5 - Very Slow Import
                                        VideoTrainer Level 1

Yeah mine is not importing again either.  Very frustrating.

• 17. Re: Lightroom 6.5 - Very Slow Import
                                          hkokko Level 1

Running very very slow on my Mac. Import is coming from 7200RPM Mac Fusion drive which has 500 gigabytes empty and is going to fast usb 3.0 drive which has 220gb empty. iMac 3.4ghz Intel Core i7. MacSierra but same situation with ElCapitan. 32gb memory 1600Mhz DDR3 memory. Nvidia GeForce GTX 680MX 2048 MB. System is plenty fast enough for fast editing in Lightroom and any other stuff I am throwing at it.

Use grahics card accelaration is on (I tried with off - did not help). The same thing happens from any/many readers or memory cards.

All the disks are checked for corruption - none found.

The import of 40 something Cr2 (30mb) has taken several hours and only one is visible in the Download backup folders, none are visible in the import window. Copy and import bar is one third of a way thru.

Does not seem to make a difference if I put detect duplicates on or off. Nor if I have the download backup copy option on or off. Nor if I have do 1:1' previews on or off.

Catalog has 170.000 photos and has been optimized today.

Version of the lightroom is cc 6.5.latest what Adobe provides

This starts to be quite frustrating.

• 18. Re: Lightroom 6.5 - Very Slow Import

There is something not happening correctly for sure.

Does this happen if you first import using Image Capture to your SSD and then Import to Lightroom using "Move" to shift to the USB drive??

• 19. Re: Lightroom 6.5 - Very Slow Import
                                              hkokko Level 1

Well I am importing from Fusion drive which is combination of SSD/Hard Drive.  It does not matter what is the source - it is same kind of slow.

I am not sure what you mean by "Image Capture to your SSD and then Import to Lightroom using "Move" to shift to the USB drive??" - the pictures are already on my Fusion drive. It is the copy and import I am using (which still is ongoing after several hours from the hard drive - without showing the first picture.

To make things laughably interesting - Apple Photos is quite fast in importing those, smae goes for Photo Mechanic. 

To me this indicates software /configuration issue in Lightroom.

I can still try to import to a completely catalogue - so let's see if that makes a difference.

• 20. Re: Lightroom 6.5 - Very Slow Import
                                                Johan_Mellin Level 1

It kind of defeats the purpose of a digital assets management program if you have to split it onto multiple catalogs...

• 21. Re: Lightroom 6.5 - Very Slow Import
                                                  hkokko Level 1

With brand new empty catalog - the results are the same. Takes enormous time to import a single RAW file - has not finished in minutes.

• 22. Re: Lightroom 6.5 - Very Slow Import
                                                    hkokko Level 1

It does not seem to about file movements. Using "Add" results in same slowness.

• 23. Re: Lightroom 6.5 - Very Slow Import
                                                      hkokko Level 1

Tried this with trial license of a competing major product. Got 100 (30+mb RAW) images imported in less than 4 minutes from the card in the same system. So there seems to be something odd going on...

• 24. Re: Lightroom 6.5 - Very Slow Import

My friend I have used Macs and Adobe apps for many years and experience shows when things are happening like this there will 99% of the time be a simple cause that just needs isolating..... understand the there are most likely millions of users on Macs and they aren't all getting what you are experiencing.. and I am not either.

So tell us the files from which camera you are importing with what hardware from where to where in detail.

Image Capture is the Apple app included on every Mac that in fact Apple Photos uses to import to disk. Lightroom calls the OS as well.

I was suggesting that you open Image Capture and use that to download the files to where you want them and then see if they import to Lightroom using ADD quickly.

Try that and also answer the question in detail..... thanks

• 25. Re: Lightroom 6.5 - Very Slow Import

Johan_Mellin wrote:

It kind of defeats the purpose of a digital assets management program if you have to split it onto multiple catalogs...

Why would you need to do that?? I have a Master of 800k files that imports fine....

Catalog size has nothing to do with this.

• 26. Re: Lightroom 6.5 - Very Slow Import
                                                            Johan_Mellin Level 1

I agree, probably some small conflict with lightroom import. As this probLen is seen also on Windows it's not OSX related.

I think Adobe just decided it's not worth looking into this as it affect only a small percentage of users. And they are getting payed anyway with CC.

I'm just a sad paying user since version 1.2 that have to find another app, still loving it, but can't use it.

• 27. Re: Lightroom 6.5 - Very Slow Import
                                                              hkokko Level 1

"

I was suggesting that you open Image Capture and use that to download the files to where you want them and then see if they import to Lightroom using ADD quickly.

Try that and also answer the question in detail..... thanks"

Hmmm. Like I wrote - I had them downloaded to fast disk and used add (tried also move and copy as well). No luck. Same problem.

The problem does not exist with Photos or CaptureOne or PhotoMechanic. Only with Lightroom and I want to continue to use the Lightroom. This slowness has increased over time and now with the latest versions of everything (see above) is not working at all.

I understand this affects only a proportion of users but search for it - others are encountering same - not all - but some are. I would just like this to be fixed by whatever means.

Using this to import Canon 5d Mark III RAW files. Same result. Using this to import Canon 5d Mark IV RAW files. Same result.

What is the additional detail that would help here (see .17 and other my posts on this thread)

• 28. Re: Lightroom 6.5 - Very Slow Import

Johan_Mellin wrote:

I agree, probably some small conflict with lightroom import. As this probLen is seen also on Windows it's not OSX related.

I think Adobe just decided it's not worth looking into this as it affect only a small percentage of users. And they are getting payed anyway with CC.

I'm just a sad paying user since version 1.2 that have to find another app, still loving it, but can't use it.

You have no idea what Adobe thinks....

Maybe if you posted your issue in it's own thread or reported it on Photoshop.com you would get assistance. Your comment offers nothing of any use.

• 29. Re: Lightroom 6.5 - Very Slow Import
                                                                  VideoTrainer Level 1

This is still occurring for me.  I cannot even import a single JPEG into a new catalog after a fresh install of Lightroom.

It hangs and I need to cancel. 

I'm pasting my system info below.

I then realized that I wasn't using the latest version of Lightroom so I updated to 6.7.  Upgrading to 6.7 made absolutely no difference with the import issue.  I'm do a very simple import of 1 JPEG.  I'm Adding it to a fresh catalog (not moving or copying but those option's don't work either).  The single JPEG is on my Mac's internal hard drive. 

When I terminate the import because it just hangs it gives me the error message "No Photos Or Videos Were Found To Import".

Screen Shot 2016-10-04 at 8.32.45 AM.png

Lightroom version: 6.0 [1014445]

License: Perpetual

Operating system: Mac OS 10

Version: 10.11 [6]

Application architecture: x64

Logical processor count: 4

Processor speed: 2.7 GHz

Built-in memory: 8,192.0 MB

Real memory available to Lightroom: 8,192.0 MB

Real memory used by Lightroom: 327.6 MB (3.9%)

Virtual memory used by Lightroom: 733.0 MB

Memory cache size: 0.0 MB

Maximum thread count used by Camera Raw: 2

Camera Raw SIMD optimization: SSE2,AVX,AVX2

Displays: 1) 3840x2160, 2) 2560x1600

Graphics Processor Info:

Intel(R) Iris(TM) Graphics 6100

Check OpenGL support: Passed

Vendor: Intel Inc.

Version: 4.1 INTEL-10.14.73

Renderer: Intel(R) Iris(TM) Graphics 6100

LanguageVersion: 4.10

Application folder: /Applications/Adobe Lightroom

Library Path: /Users/davestoltzfus/Pictures/Test Catalog/Test Catalog.lrcat

Settings Folder: /Users/davestoltzfus/Library/Application Support/Adobe/Lightroom

Installed Plugins:

1) Aperture/iPhoto Importer Plug-in

2) Behance

3) Canon Tether Plugin

4) Facebook

5) Flickr

6) Leica Tether Plugin

7) Nikon Tether Plugin

Config.lua flags: None

AudioDeviceIOBlockSize: 512

AudioDeviceName: Built-in Output

AudioDeviceNumberOfChannels: 2

AudioDeviceSampleRate: 44100

Build: Uninitialized

CoreImage: true

GL_ACCUM_ALPHA_BITS: 0

GL_ACCUM_BLUE_BITS: 0

GL_ACCUM_GREEN_BITS: 0

GL_ACCUM_RED_BITS: 0

GL_ALPHA_BITS: 8

GL_BLUE_BITS: 8

GL_DEPTH_BITS: 24

GL_GREEN_BITS: 8

GL_MAX_3D_TEXTURE_SIZE: 2048

GL_MAX_TEXTURE_SIZE: 16384

GL_MAX_TEXTURE_UNITS: 8

GL_MAX_VIEWPORT_DIMS: 16384,16384

GL_RED_BITS: 8

GL_RENDERER: Intel(R) Iris(TM) Graphics 6100

GL_SHADING_LANGUAGE_VERSION: 1.20

GL_STENCIL_BITS: 8

GL_VENDOR: Intel Inc.

GL_VERSION: 2.1 INTEL-10.14.73

GL_EXTENSIONS: GL_ARB_color_buffer_float GL_ARB_depth_buffer_float GL_ARB_depth_clamp GL_ARB_depth_texture GL_ARB_draw_buffers GL_ARB_draw_elements_base_vertex GL_ARB_draw_instanced GL_ARB_fragment_program GL_ARB_fragment_program_shadow GL_ARB_fragment_shader GL_ARB_framebuffer_object GL_ARB_framebuffer_sRGB GL_ARB_half_float_pixel GL_ARB_half_float_vertex GL_ARB_instanced_arrays GL_ARB_multisample GL_ARB_multitexture GL_ARB_occlusion_query GL_ARB_pixel_buffer_object GL_ARB_point_parameters GL_ARB_point_sprite GL_ARB_provoking_vertex GL_ARB_seamless_cube_map GL_ARB_shader_objects GL_ARB_shader_texture_lod GL_ARB_shading_language_100 GL_ARB_shadow GL_ARB_sync GL_ARB_texture_border_clamp GL_ARB_texture_compression GL_ARB_texture_compression_rgtc GL_ARB_texture_cube_map GL_ARB_texture_env_add GL_ARB_texture_env_combine GL_ARB_texture_env_crossbar GL_ARB_texture_env_dot3 GL_ARB_texture_float GL_ARB_texture_mirrored_repeat GL_ARB_texture_non_power_of_two GL_ARB_texture_rectangle GL_ARB_texture_rg GL_ARB_transpose_matrix GL_ARB_vertex_array_bgra GL_ARB_vertex_blend GL_ARB_vertex_buffer_object GL_ARB_vertex_program GL_ARB_vertex_shader GL_ARB_window_pos GL_EXT_abgr GL_EXT_bgra GL_EXT_blend_color GL_EXT_blend_equation_separate GL_EXT_blend_func_separate GL_EXT_blend_minmax GL_EXT_blend_subtract GL_EXT_clip_volume_hint GL_EXT_debug_label GL_EXT_debug_marker GL_EXT_draw_buffers2 GL_EXT_draw_range_elements GL_EXT_fog_coord GL_EXT_framebuffer_blit GL_EXT_framebuffer_multisample GL_EXT_framebuffer_multisample_blit_scaled GL_EXT_framebuffer_object GL_EXT_framebuffer_sRGB GL_EXT_geometry_shader4 GL_EXT_gpu_program_parameters GL_EXT_gpu_shader4 GL_EXT_multi_draw_arrays GL_EXT_packed_depth_stencil GL_EXT_packed_float GL_EXT_provoking_vertex GL_EXT_rescale_normal GL_EXT_secondary_color GL_EXT_separate_specular_color GL_EXT_shadow_funcs GL_EXT_stencil_two_side GL_EXT_stencil_wrap GL_EXT_texture_array GL_EXT_texture_compression_dxt1 GL_EXT_texture_compression_s3tc GL_EXT_texture_env_add GL_EXT_texture_filter_anisotropic GL_EXT_texture_integer GL_EXT_texture_lod_bias GL_EXT_texture_rectangle GL_EXT_texture_shared_exponent GL_EXT_texture_sRGB GL_EXT_texture_sRGB_decode GL_EXT_timer_query GL_EXT_transform_feedback GL_EXT_vertex_array_bgra GL_APPLE_aux_depth_stencil GL_APPLE_client_storage GL_APPLE_element_array GL_APPLE_fence GL_APPLE_float_pixels GL_APPLE_flush_buffer_range GL_APPLE_flush_render GL_APPLE_object_purgeable GL_APPLE_packed_pixels GL_APPLE_pixel_buffer GL_APPLE_rgb_422 GL_APPLE_row_bytes GL_APPLE_specular_vector GL_APPLE_texture_range GL_APPLE_transform_hint GL_APPLE_vertex_array_object GL_APPLE_vertex_array_range GL_APPLE_vertex_point_size GL_APPLE_vertex_program_evaluators GL_APPLE_ycbcr_422 GL_ATI_separate_stencil GL_ATI_texture_env_combine3 GL_ATI_texture_float GL_ATI_texture_mirror_once GL_IBM_rasterpos_clip GL_NV_blend_square GL_NV_conditional_render GL_NV_depth_clamp GL_NV_fog_distance GL_NV_light_max_exponent GL_NV_texgen_reflection GL_NV_texture_barrier GL_SGIS_generate_mipmap GL_SGIS_texture_edge_clamp GL_SGIS_texture_lod

SYSTEM INFO AFTER UPGRADING TO 6.7:

Lightroom version: 6.7 [ 1090788 ]

License: Perpetual

Operating system: Mac OS 10

Version: 10.11 [6]

Application architecture: x64

Logical processor count: 4

Processor speed: 2.7 GHz

Built-in memory: 8,192.0 MB

Real memory available to Lightroom: 8,192.0 MB

Real memory used by Lightroom: 294.5 MB (3.5%)

Virtual memory used by Lightroom: 1,683.5 MB

Memory cache size: 0.0 MB

Maximum thread count used by Camera Raw: 4

Camera Raw SIMD optimization: SSE2,AVX,AVX2

Displays: 1) 3840x2160, 2) 2560x1600

Graphics Processor Info:

Intel(R) Iris(TM) Graphics 6100

Check OpenGL support: Passed

Vendor: Intel Inc.

Version: 4.1 INTEL-10.14.73

Renderer: Intel(R) Iris(TM) Graphics 6100

LanguageVersion: 4.10

Application folder: /Applications/Adobe Lightroom

Library Path: /Users/davestoltzfus/Pictures/Test Catalog/Test Catalog.lrcat

Settings Folder: /Users/davestoltzfus/Library/Application Support/Adobe/Lightroom

Installed Plugins:

1) Aperture/iPhoto Importer Plug-in

2) Canon Tether Plugin

3) Facebook

4) Flickr

5) Leica Tether Plugin

6) Nikon Tether Plugin

Config.lua flags: None

AudioDeviceIOBlockSize: 512

AudioDeviceName: Built-in Output

AudioDeviceNumberOfChannels: 2

AudioDeviceSampleRate: 44100

Build: Uninitialized

CoreImage: true

GL_ACCUM_ALPHA_BITS: 0

GL_ACCUM_BLUE_BITS: 0

GL_ACCUM_GREEN_BITS: 0

GL_ACCUM_RED_BITS: 0

GL_ALPHA_BITS: 8

GL_BLUE_BITS: 8

GL_DEPTH_BITS: 24

GL_GREEN_BITS: 8

GL_MAX_3D_TEXTURE_SIZE: 2048

GL_MAX_TEXTURE_SIZE: 16384

GL_MAX_TEXTURE_UNITS: 8

GL_MAX_VIEWPORT_DIMS: 16384,16384

GL_RED_BITS: 8

GL_RENDERER: Intel(R) Iris(TM) Graphics 6100

GL_SHADING_LANGUAGE_VERSION: 1.20

GL_STENCIL_BITS: 8

GL_VENDOR: Intel Inc.

GL_VERSION: 2.1 INTEL-10.14.73

OGLEnabled: true

GL_EXTENSIONS: GL_ARB_color_buffer_float GL_ARB_depth_buffer_float GL_ARB_depth_clamp GL_ARB_depth_texture GL_ARB_draw_buffers GL_ARB_draw_elements_base_vertex GL_ARB_draw_instanced GL_ARB_fragment_program GL_ARB_fragment_program_shadow GL_ARB_fragment_shader GL_ARB_framebuffer_object GL_ARB_framebuffer_sRGB GL_ARB_half_float_pixel GL_ARB_half_float_vertex GL_ARB_instanced_arrays GL_ARB_multisample GL_ARB_multitexture GL_ARB_occlusion_query GL_ARB_pixel_buffer_object GL_ARB_point_parameters GL_ARB_point_sprite GL_ARB_provoking_vertex GL_ARB_seamless_cube_map GL_ARB_shader_objects GL_ARB_shader_texture_lod GL_ARB_shading_language_100 GL_ARB_shadow GL_ARB_sync GL_ARB_texture_border_clamp GL_ARB_texture_compression GL_ARB_texture_compression_rgtc GL_ARB_texture_cube_map GL_ARB_texture_env_add GL_ARB_texture_env_combine GL_ARB_texture_env_crossbar GL_ARB_texture_env_dot3 GL_ARB_texture_float GL_ARB_texture_mirrored_repeat GL_ARB_texture_non_power_of_two GL_ARB_texture_rectangle GL_ARB_texture_rg GL_ARB_transpose_matrix GL_ARB_vertex_array_bgra GL_ARB_vertex_blend GL_ARB_vertex_buffer_object GL_ARB_vertex_program GL_ARB_vertex_shader GL_ARB_window_pos GL_EXT_abgr GL_EXT_bgra GL_EXT_blend_color GL_EXT_blend_equation_separate GL_EXT_blend_func_separate GL_EXT_blend_minmax GL_EXT_blend_subtract GL_EXT_clip_volume_hint GL_EXT_debug_label GL_EXT_debug_marker GL_EXT_draw_buffers2 GL_EXT_draw_range_elements GL_EXT_fog_coord GL_EXT_framebuffer_blit GL_EXT_framebuffer_multisample GL_EXT_framebuffer_multisample_blit_scaled GL_EXT_framebuffer_object GL_EXT_framebuffer_sRGB GL_EXT_geometry_shader4 GL_EXT_gpu_program_parameters GL_EXT_gpu_shader4 GL_EXT_multi_draw_arrays GL_EXT_packed_depth_stencil GL_EXT_packed_float GL_EXT_provoking_vertex GL_EXT_rescale_normal GL_EXT_secondary_color GL_EXT_separate_specular_color GL_EXT_shadow_funcs GL_EXT_stencil_two_side GL_EXT_stencil_wrap GL_EXT_texture_array GL_EXT_texture_compression_dxt1 GL_EXT_texture_compression_s3tc GL_EXT_texture_env_add GL_EXT_texture_filter_anisotropic GL_EXT_texture_integer GL_EXT_texture_lod_bias GL_EXT_texture_rectangle GL_EXT_texture_shared_exponent GL_EXT_texture_sRGB GL_EXT_texture_sRGB_decode GL_EXT_timer_query GL_EXT_transform_feedback GL_EXT_vertex_array_bgra GL_APPLE_aux_depth_stencil GL_APPLE_client_storage GL_APPLE_element_array GL_APPLE_fence GL_APPLE_float_pixels GL_APPLE_flush_buffer_range GL_APPLE_flush_render GL_APPLE_object_purgeable GL_APPLE_packed_pixels GL_APPLE_pixel_buffer GL_APPLE_rgb_422 GL_APPLE_row_bytes GL_APPLE_specular_vector GL_APPLE_texture_range GL_APPLE_transform_hint GL_APPLE_vertex_array_object GL_APPLE_vertex_array_range GL_APPLE_vertex_point_size GL_APPLE_vertex_program_evaluators GL_APPLE_ycbcr_422 GL_ATI_separate_stencil GL_ATI_texture_env_combine3 GL_ATI_texture_float GL_ATI_texture_mirror_once GL_IBM_rasterpos_clip GL_NV_blend_square GL_NV_conditional_render GL_NV_depth_clamp GL_NV_fog_distance GL_NV_light_max_exponent GL_NV_texgen_reflection GL_NV_texture_barrier GL_SGIS_generate_mipmap GL_SGIS_texture_edge_clamp GL_SGIS_texture_lod

• 30. Re: Lightroom 6.5 - Very Slow Import

What is the path to the file??

So we can see it like this:

Screen Shot 2016-10-05 at 9.41.50 AM.png

I am wondering of there could be a permissions error in the chain.

• 31. Re: Lightroom 6.5 - Very Slow Import
                                                                      VideoTrainer Level 1

Geoff,

Here you go.  It does the same thing no matter where the file is located and no matter what file I try it on.  Internal HD, External HD.

Screen Shot 2016-10-05 at 6.29.27 AM.png

• 32. Re: Lightroom 6.5 - Very Slow Import

Ok, there are a lot of movie clips in there... try putting it in another folder without videos.

There have been many reports of issues with movie clips...

• 33. Re: Lightroom 6.5 - Very Slow Import

Also try creating a new user....

• 34. Re: Lightroom 6.5 - Very Slow Import
                                                                            hkokko Level 1

Still trying to do the import - now with new files.  See .17 .22. .23 .27 for details. After 10 hours not a single file imported to the lightroom from the fast hard disk.

They imported very quickly (in minutes) from compact flash to hard disk when using another tool. I would like to import them to lightroom but this just won't happen...

what additional info would be needed to sort this out.

Already created a support ticket with adobe about this some time ago (the time of .23)

• 35. Re: Lightroom 6.5 - Very Slow Import

Can you create a new User and test that please.

You have tried deleting the Lightroom Preference file??

• 36. Re: Lightroom 6.5 - Very Slow Import
                                                                                mikroche Level 1

I'm experiencing the same problem. Running Lightroom CC 2015.2.1 and Camera Raw 9.2. The problem manifests on 3 different macs using different catalogs. I've been using Lightroom since R4 and when this first happened (about 6 months ago) I figured it was a temporary regression but it has not been fixed by updates.

I can import at normal speeds from Nikon, Panasonic and Leica but Canon 5diii is glacially slow - no preview thumbnails and when I select import all nothing happens for about 3-5 mins i.e. empty page and no progress bar movement - then 4 to 5 images appear and it crawls through the rest.

I only import RAW - NEF, DNG and CR2 and never any video or JPG's on the cameras or cards. No difference whether I import direct from 5Diii or via a card reader. Only difference is when I use Apple Photos app to import the 5Diii raw files and then export to desktop and re-import into LR - then it is fast.

So based on my tests I suspect a bug reading the file system on the Canon formatted cards. Happy to help test this if needed.

-Mike

• 37. Re: Lightroom 6.5 - Very Slow Import
                                                                                  VideoTrainer Level 1

Mike,

I'm still having the same issue.  I'm importing JPG and MOV files.  Even a single JPG takes FOREVER to import. 

I got excited when I did a test of exporting from Apple Photos app to a new folder on my desktop and the import was speedy for 20 iPhone pics.  My next test of exporting and then importing additional photos  had the same sluggish results. 

It's terrible.  I'm hoping that Adobe is able to isolate what's going on soon.

Many details of your experience coincide with my own.

- Dave

• 38. Re: Lightroom 6.5 - Very Slow Import
                                                                                    hkokko Level 1

I have nuked the lightroom installation (with all the traces away of it) previously and redone the installation. I have tried this with another completely new user with the new lightroom. No luck whatsoever. (see the points for details in my earlier posts on this thread).

Current import has taken already 46 hours (from a 7200RPM disk which is Fusion drive) and does not come up with anything. (Same was evident from two different fast compact flash cards). It is still stuck on the same spot pretty early... the only thing that it lets me do is cancel the import - it does not progress (so lightroom is not frozen).

The same files imported very quickly in Photos, Photo Mechanic, CaptureOne...

There is something very very wrong...

What should I try next.

These are Canon 5d Mark III and Canon 5d Mark IV (now mostly) pictures. I think have tried with Mark III pictures only (which used to work earlier on) - but no luck.

--h

• 39. Re: Lightroom 6.5 - Very Slow Import
                                                                                      kenaucre Level 1

how can this thread be "solved" if it's still affecting users (myself included... didn't know it until about two hours ago).

1 2 Previous Next