6 Replies Latest reply on Jun 14, 2016 9:35 AM by Szalam Branched to a new discussion.

Workstation Advice

anthonym755319

Hi,

I'm putting together a shopping list for my first build. It's taken a while to find components that I think will give me the best all round performance for AE, C4D, and Octane. I just wanted to ask you guys to take a look over some of the specs from an AE perspective. Cheers.

Motherboard: ASUS X99E-WS USB3.1

CPU: 2687Wv4
      Cooler: Corsair H105RAM: 64Gb Crucial DDR4 2133 ECC
      GPU: 2 x EVGA GTX 1080 (I know Octane isn't compatible yet, but I'm in a position to wait).

I initially wanted a dual socket board, but realistically I'm not going to be able to afford a second processor for the moment, but the single 2687Wv4 looks like the best for what I can afford to invest.

Any thoughts welcomed.

[Moved from After Effects forum to the hardware forum - Mod]

• 1. Re: Workstation Advice
          Gutter-Fish Level 4

I personally think the dual GPU's are overkill....If I had that money to spend I would go with a single GPU and 128 gig of RAM....or a quality sound card for recording.  I don't understand people's fascination with dual video cards.

• 2. Re: Workstation Advice
            anthonym755319 Level 1

Thanks for the feedback, Gutter-Fish. The dual GPU set-up is purely for Octane.

• 3. Re: Workstation Advice
              Gutter-Fish Level 4

Ah...my bad.  Sorry.

• 4. Re: Workstation Advice
                Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I don't see any indication about your hard drive setup. You want your OS and programs installed on an SSD to make things faster of course, but you also want a separate, dedicated SSD for AE's cache. It makes a significant difference.

You might consider getting an i7 with higher clock speed (like 4GHz). AE's new architecture doesn't use multiple cores for rendering (yet). They have the ground work in place to create the new, improved replacement for the old, buggy multiprocessing, but they're not there yet. So, single-core clock speed makes a big difference plus a lot of things in C4D are still single-threaded too. (But C4D's new core may change that. They have made some major hints that R18 has as LOT more features tied into the new core.)

Now, for me, we mostly use the standard or physical renderers in C4D, so I'm pricing out new machines at my full-time job with two of the 2687Wv4 processors in them because C4D's renderers make full use of all processor cores.

• 5. Re: Workstation Advice
                  anthonym755319 Level 1

Thanks Szalam. I'd love to go for a dual 2687 set-up, but dropping that much on CPUs isn't an option for me at the moment.

I'm still looking in to hard drive configurations; I'm thinking a Samsung 850 SSD for the OS and apps, another for projects, and an m.2 for cache.

As for the processor I've been looking at the 6950x as an alternative to the Xeon. Same speed but there is the option to overclock.

• 6. Re: Workstation Advice
                    Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

If you aren't doing dual Xeons, it's often better to get an i7 and overclock it. More bang for your buck.