1 2 Previous Next 48 Replies Latest reply on Jul 26, 2016 10:29 AM by simonsaith

Cannot import photos

ben283746

Yesterday (June 10) updated LR and PS. This morning cannot import photos in LR. Get spinning ball of death (iMac - latest OS) immediately upon clicking <import>. Uninstalled and reinstalled LR; same issue. Would appreciate any suggestions.

• 1. Re: Cannot import photos
          dkaplan74

I am having the exact same issue.

• 2. Re: Cannot import photos
            jlw97 Level 1

Same timing, same issue. I was auto-updated to the 2015.6 release two days ago and had no problems until today, the first time I tried to import files from a memory card.

What seems to be happening is that when I choose import, Lightroom starts consuming more and more system memory until the system shuts down. I've documented this using Activity Monitor.

When displaying an existing catalog, Lightroom consumes about 450 mb of memory. As soon as I click the "Import..." button, memory usage immediately jumps to about 900mb. At that point it continues to spiral upward. In the test I just ran, once memory usage exceeded about 4 gb, Lightroom showed in Activity Monitor as "Not Responding." However, memory usage continued to climb -- over a period of about six minutes, it eventually reached nearly 30 gb. At this point overall system responsiveness became very sluggish, and I had to force-quit Lightroom to regain control.

Earlier in the day, before I noticed the memory issue, I had started Lightroom, clicked "Import...", and then went away, thinking maybe it just needed more time to initialize. When I returned home, the computer was displaying a dialog box saying the system had run out of free memory and running applications had been suspended.

System: iMac with 8gb physical RAM, running El Capitan v10.11.5. No problems running Lightroom until this most recent update.

The first screen shot shows a typical value in Activity Monitor while Lightroom is displaying an existing catalog:

Screen Shot 2016-06-11 at 6.04.08 PM.png

The following screen shots show memory consumption increasing over a period of about six minutes after clicking "Import..."

[5:38 pm]

Screen Shot 2016-06-11 at 5.38.35 PM.png

[5:41 pm]

Screen Shot 2016-06-11 at 5.41.32 PM.png

[5:45 pm, showing the full screen so the 'Memory Pressure' gauge is visible]

Screen Shot 2016-06-11 at 5.45.03 PM.png

• 3. Re: Cannot import photos
              Just Shoot Me Adobe Community Professional

Clicking the import button in the library module or the import button in the Import dialog window.

If in the import dialog window check the destination you have select and that you have read & write permissions n that folder for your username.

• 4. Re: Cannot import photos
                jlw97 Level 1

It occurs when clicking the Import... button in the Library module. Lightroom switches to the Import dialog and begins displaying the window in which normally you'd select your import source. It's at this point that memory usage starts to ramp up. (Update note: Originally I thought this might have something to do with the process of displaying preview images from a memory card -- but since then I've done more testing and have found out that memory usage climbs even if NO source is selected and no previews are displayed.)

I do have read/write permissions on the target folder, just as I did before this problem began occurring with the 2015.6 release.

• 5. Re: Cannot import photos
                  jlw97 Level 1

Additional info: I used Time Machine to revert to release 2015.5.1, and was able to import files from the same card that produced the failure noted above with release 2015.6. I then used Creative Cloud Desktop to remove 2015.5.1 and reinstall 2015.6. Once back on 2015.6, the import issue occurred again: As soon as I clicked the Import... button and reached the Import screen, memory usage started climbing until Lightroom became unresponsive and had to be force-quit.

The fact that importing worked when I was using release 2015.5.1, and stopped working once I switched back to release 2015.6, seems a fairly definite indication that the problem is specific to the 2015.6 update and isn't caused by any settings on my computer etc.

• 6. Re: Cannot import photos
                    Bob Somrak Level 5

I just tried your scenario with Lr 2015.6 OSx 10.11.5 with 16gb of RAM and the memory usage increased a bit but DID NOT spiral out of control but actually dropped a bit after a while.  When I exited import memory usage went back to about what it was before.

• 7. Re: Cannot import photos
                      jlw97 Level 1

Update: Turning off GPU acceleration (Lightroom > Preferences > Performance) did not help.

• 8. Re: Cannot import photos
                        jlw97 Level 1

Okay, several of us definitely are having this issue while others are not, so it has to be configuration-sensitive. Maybe we need to include system configuration info with reports...? Here's mine:

Screen Shot 2016-06-12 at 8.52.37 AM.png

Possibly people with more physical RAM aren't getting the issue, but that's just a wild guess. Also, I wonder if the graphics card used might make a difference (although I've already tried turning off GPU acceleration and it didn't help...)

• 9. Re: Cannot import photos

Did you reboot your Mac after turning off the GPU option?

Actually when was the last time you restarted your Mac?

• 10. Re: Cannot import photos
                            Bob Somrak Level 5

This is additional info you wanted from my post#6   Both machines running Lr2015.6

Here is my system info if it will help.  I also have an internal 512gb ssd with the caches and a Thunderbolt external LaCie 512gb ssd for the catalog and photos.

Screen Shot 2016-06-12 at 8.06.15 AM.png

No problem on my old Mac either.   everything on an internal 1tb spinner.

Screen Shot 2016-06-12 at 8.18.20 AM.png

• 11. Re: Cannot import photos
                              Jao vdL Adobe Community Professional & MVP

This looks a lot like a return of the old video memory leak. Are there any video files in your import? Any external disks attached? I am not experiencing this either on similar hardware so this is a bit mysterious which of course bugs are a lot of the time.

• 12. Re: Cannot import photos
                                jlw97 Level 1

Did you reboot your Mac after turning off the GPU option?

Not the first time. There's no indication in the preference panel that this is necessary.

So I went back just now and tried it again: disabled GPU, then quit Lightroom and restarted. After restart, I tried to use Import again. I got the same results: endlessly-spinning Beachball of Death, rising memory consumption, and eventually loss of response.

For anyone who wants to play along at home, here's the Memory Pressure graph from Activity Monitor during my most recent test (with GPU off, after restart.) A marks the moment when I clicked the Import button in the Library module. B marks the point at which the Finder stopped responding and I had to force-quit Lightroom.

Lightroom_2015pt6_ram.png

• 13. Re: Cannot import photos
                                  jlw97 Level 1

One thing I notice right off is that you have Radeon graphics in both machines and I have Nvidia. Anybody else have a data point on this?

• 14. Re: Cannot import photos

By chance are you running any Anti Virus program on your Mac. If you are it could be the AV program is prescanning all the images and that is what is eating up the memory.

Just a thought.

• 15. Re: Cannot import photos
                                      Referee3083

I am having the same problem, only it's isolated to my iPhone.  I upgraded to LR 6.6 yesterday.  I'm able to import photos from my D7200 without issue.  I've tried both my iPhone 6 and my wife's iPhone 6s and Lightroom will not allow me to import any photos.  When I click the 'Import' button all I get is a spinning loop on the bottom left of the LR screen:

Screen Shot 2016-06-12 at 3.50.47 PM.png

Here's my system config (I also have the Radeon graphics card):

Screen Shot 2016-06-12 at 3.51.24 PM.png

• 16. Re: Cannot import photos
                                        jeff-drake

I am having the same or very similar issue with Lightroom 6 CC.

I have a Windows 10 Dell XPS 8700. Yesterday, for some reason Lightroom started clocking and crashing when I tried to sync a folder in my Pictures directory.

I uninstalled Lightroom, reinstalled it, same problem.

I restarted Lightroom and used the default catalog, but it crashed again when doing an import.

Do I need to install an earlier version of Lightroom to fix this?

• 17. Re: Cannot import photos
                                          mmilich

Similar problem-

Adobe LR CC2016.6

OS X El Capitan

27-inch Mid 2010

2.8 GHz Intel Core i5

12 GB 1333 MHz DDR3

ATI Radeon HD 5750 1024 MB

GPU off.

Just attempted to import 144 pictures from Nikon D750 (approx. 4GB).

Some thumbnails appear in the import box, spinning beach ball, watch available memory drop from 9.4 GB to 742 MB before force quitting application.

It IS a problem.

Successfully imported 90 files (approx. 2.7 GB) earlier this morning.

A similar problem happened yesterday, but I did not witness the processes that occurred.  Just got a message that my machine was out of memory and got an option to force quit active programs. Unfortunately the options didn't work and my Mac crashed, and it wiped out some of my stuff.

My guess is that some "feature" in the new version of LR is consuming the RAM rather than looking to use disk scratch space. Maybe not, but something is not right. Don't say it's my MAC because everything worked fine until this upgrade. If Adobe changes the requirements of the program, that's fine, I would expect that, but a heads up would be nice.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks Guys!

• 18. Re: Cannot import photos
                                            Geoff the kiwi Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You should all post over at Photoshop.com where bug reports are recorded...

Staff are also active on that site.....  

Personally I have two MBP's and aren't seeing any of this, sorry...

1 person found this helpful
                                            • 19. Re: Cannot import photos
                                              jeff-drake Level 1

I may have finally resolved the issue I had about importing. I'll find out in about 30 minutes, when it is done.

I ended up having to deinstall Lightroom and archive my catalog and build a new catalog. I did this before, but mistakenly tried to use the "import" before adding a folder. It crashed repeatedly every time I tried that! This time I added the folder first and then selected import. I'll have to wait and see if it completes the import properly.

• 20. Re: Cannot import photos
                                                jlw97 Level 1

Just to make this issue more intense: This afternoon I decided to run Disk Utility's permission repair function just to make sure permissions were okay; I received a diagnostic message saying the disk's volume bitmap was damaged beyond repair and that I should back up as much data as possible, then reformat the disk!

Of course there's no proof that was Lightroom-related, but it wouldn't surprise me if all those force-quits, restarts, and hangs had had something to do with it. So make sure you're making backups, people! (I have a Time Machine backup and am making a disk image as insurance before I reformat...)

• 21. Re: Cannot import photos

If you have that much disk corruption than it is not surprising you have issues where imports will hang. You should fix this first. Generally when Disk Utility tells you that you have to reformat, you often can still fix it by starting in single user mode and running "fsck -fy" from the command line until it is fixed. You are absolutely right that you should make sure to have good backups.

• 22. Re: Cannot import photos

It could also be your drive is faulty or failing all by itself and that is why you have to force quit LR.

• 23. Re: Cannot import photos
                                                      mmilich Level 1

Update- Powered everything down. Restarted LR and imported 340 photos (10 GB+) with no significant memory swings. The only difference I can see is that in each crash instance I did not restart LR between imports. That could be a coincidence, but I'm not testing anymore today.

• 24. Re: Cannot import photos
                                                        megmacphoto57@aol.com Level 1

This recently happened to me. My import would stall and take till the next morning to see the drives to import from. It turned out that one of my three external drives was bad. Once I unplugged it the import worked instantly.

• 25. Re: Cannot import photos
                                                          jlw97 Level 1

Okay, I'm back. Over the past two days I've made a backup image of my hard disk, reformatted the disk, and restored from the disk image. Once the restore was complete, I launched Lightroom 2015.6 and optimized my catalog. None of this helped; whenever I clicked the Import... button, I'd still get the spinning "busy" cursor, and RAM usage would climb until the Memory Pressure graph topped out in the red zone. By this time the whole system would be very sluggish and I'd have to force-quit Lightroom to regain control.

Then, as someone had suggested earlier, I disconnected my external USB hard drive (which had given no indication of trouble.) With the drive disconnected, the Import function began behaving normally, and memory pressure stayed unchanged when I did various imports.

Then I turned the USB drive back on. Oddly enough, Import now continues to work normally with the drive connected (and with no repairs or changes to the drive.)

This is really groping for explanations, but I wonder if LR 2015.6 has trouble enumerating all the connected drives the first time you try to import...? Then, "reducing the workload" by disconnecting external drives gives it a chance to initialize?

Anyway, I'm now able to import even with my external drives connected, so I'm going to consider my problem solved unless it starts acting up again.

Anyone else continuing to have problems with import: Do you have any external devices connected to your Mac when you click the Import button? If so, can you try disconnecting all of them and see if that lets Import work normally?

I still think we've exposed a bug (and plan to report it to Adobe if we get enough data points) but it's not so bad if it can be worked around just by disconnecting external devices the first time you try an import.

• 26. Re: Cannot import photos
                                                            Bob Somrak Level 5

When you restore from a disk image you are restoring all the problems you had before the reformat.  You need to do a clean install.

• 27. Re: Cannot import photos
                                                              jlw97 Level 1

That's an important point in the case of (e.g.) prefs file corruption, but I don't think it applies to a volume bitmap error, which is what I had. The volume bitmap gets reconstructed when you restore; otherwise you wouldn't be able to restore onto a volume of a different size, because the bitmap wouldn't match the actual layout of the volume. (More about volume bitmaps...)

In any case, Disk Utility previously reported the disk as damaged, and now (after restoring from the disk image) it reports it as error-free, so I'm going to go with that...

• 28. Re: Cannot import photos
                                                                mmilich Level 1

I think you are on to something with the external drives.

My catalog is spread across multiple drives attached to my Mac and at one point I imported pictures from my field drive and left that one connected as well, so there were three externals and an internal drive. Even though I always import to the internal l drive I could hear the other drives being accessed during an import directly from my camera. I had just run Drive First Aid, so I knew the drives were fine, but LR crashed. In spite of what I have heard, I don't think LR is really friendly to having a large catalog spread across multiple drives. I started seeing some slowing a few versions ago but it never took down the system.

I will experiment more when I have the chance. After my last post I had an en experience where memory availability dropped to 3GB and leveled there. Next time I fired it up it held at close to 9GB available. Not real consistent.

• 29. Re: Cannot import photos

It is not LR that makes the connection to any drive connected to your system.

It is the Hardware and the OS that makes that connection. It is OS X that is at fault and or the hardware in your Mac.

Don't be surprised if this happens again.

• 30. Re: Cannot import photos

Let me say I have a MBP from mid 2014 with an internal SSD and 16GB ram.

My catalogs are on a LaCie Thunderbolt 2TB Drive and I have image files on a Promise Pegasus 12TB, Plus numerous USB drives - I never have any issues and at the moment here I am with a catalog of 700k files with all 4 ports on the MBP full with connected drives.

Most of my drives are Mac OS Extended formatted or a few MS-DOS ....

Check the formatting of connected drives...

• 31. Re: Cannot import photos
                                                                      Sunil_Bhaskaran Adobe Employee

Thanks all for the info.

Is there anybody facing the same issue with import?

Thanks,

Sunil

• 32. Re: Cannot import photos
                                                                        Sunil_Bhaskaran Adobe Employee

Jim,

I am trying to understand the issue.

Where did you have the catalog? Was it on the external drive?

Did you have the images imported from the external drive to the catalog which hanged?

Thanks,

Sunil

• 33. Re: Cannot import photos
                                                                          ispartacups

Same issue. On attempting import, Lr hangs, if not forced to quit, eventually entire machine hangs. Repeatable.

Thanks.

• 34. Re: Cannot import photos

ispartacups wrote:

Same issue. On attempting import, Lr hangs, if not forced to quit, eventually entire machine hangs. Repeatable.

Thanks.

For those having these issues, please do the experiment that was described above. Remove all external hard disks and very importantly any USB hubs from your system. Start Lightroom and see if import now works. If so, plug your stuff in one by one and test. I had an issue like this many versions ago and it turned out to be caused by a faulty USB hub.

• 35. Re: Cannot import photos
                                                                              ispartacups Level 1

Followed advice - thanks.

Removed all USB hubs, connected 1 external drive directly containing Lr catalogue.

Import attempt 1 - Able to import

Import attempt 2 - Spinning ball, instant hang and again if not forced to quit, eventually entire machine hangs after memory is exhausted

Import attempt 3 - Able to import

Reconnected USB hubs and via hub, external drive connected containing Lr catalogue

Import attempt 4 - Able to import

Import attempt 5 - Able to import

I don't think this rules in or rules out a faulty USB hub as the issue, as I've encountered the issue with both direct connections and with connections via USB hub. However, all was consistently fine prior to installation of latest version of Lr a few days ago.

• 36. Re: Cannot import photos
                                                                                miriamc60724543

Funnily enough, I didn't have any external drives connected when I was trying to import,but I do have catalogued image files on external drives. When I connect those drives I can import. However, when I disconnect them again I'm back to the spinning ball.  so for me it does look like the programme is trying to look for files it can't find.

• 37. Re: Cannot import photos

miriamc60724543 wrote:

Funnily enough, I didn't have any external drives connected when I was trying to import,but I do have catalogued image files on external drives. When I connect those drives I can import. However, when I disconnect them again I'm back to the spinning ball. so for me it does look like the programme is trying to look for files it can't find.

What do you have selected on the right panel as Destination when you have the spinning wheel??? Is it a drive that is not available??

• 38. Re: Cannot import photos
                                                                                    miriamc60724543 Level 1

No, it's the internal hard drive.

• 39. Re: Cannot import photos

Can you post a screenshot of the Import Window please??

1 2 Previous Next