8 Replies Latest reply on Jun 13, 2016 8:31 AM by mdefrancesco

Is it time to build a new machine?

mdefrancesco Level 1

I'm getting the build-bug now that the new Nvidia cards are coming out.  I would prefer to hold off for as long as i can and let prices naturally come down, but recently (even using Premiere Elements 12) I am having perfoirmance issues.  I've recently started playing with AE CC and saying it is slow is an understatement.  Is it time to upgrade or is there anyway to improve and save my current rig.  I'm not a gamer and honestly I'm still using Photoshop CS3 because CC is super slow as well.  Any suggestions welcome and thanks in advance...

*Windows 7 Pro 64-bit SP1

*Intel Core i5 4670K @ 3.40GHz 54 °C

Haswell 22nm Technology

*16.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 799MHz (9-9-9-24)

*ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. Z87-PRO (SOCKET 1150) 28 °C

*2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 760 (PNY) 36 °C

SM2333T (1920x1080@60Hz)

SM2333T (1920x1080@60Hz)

*1397GB Seagate ST1500DL003-9VT16L ATA Device (SATA) 47 °C

1863GB TOSHIBA DT01ACA200 ATA Device (SATA) 41 °C

1397GB Seagate ST1500DL003-9VT16L ATA Device (SATA) 47 °C

1863GB TOSHIBA DT01ACA200 ATA Device (SATA) 39 °C

• 1. Re: Is it time to build a new machine?
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

This has nothing to do with your hardware. As I've written several times in other posts these are simply ridiculous bugs in the CC 2015 versions. Getting new hardware won't fix anything. You just have to wait for CC 2016 and see if it works better.

Mylenium

• 2. Re: Is it time to build a new machine?
            Gutter-Fish Level 4

Yup.  With that hardware you should not be experiencing slow performance.  Even the buggy mess that is 2015 should not be all that bad to call slow an "understatement".   Maybe there's something else going on with your system.

• 3. Re: Is it time to build a new machine?
              mdefrancesco Level 1

so maybe i don't really NEED a new rig, but would i benefit much from upgrading anything?  maybe hold off on a new gfx card or processor but invest in an SSD for better overall performance?  I certainly want a balanced system, just not sure if i'm underpowered or just not optimized

i understand CC2015 is not the answer to everyones prayers, but i'm trying to determine if hardware-wise i have a good setup for Premiere Elements, Photoshop and AE

• 4. Re: Is it time to build a new machine?
                Gutter-Fish Level 4

Honestly I have no way knowing what you mean when you say your having performance issues.  Even when you say something is slow I do not know what you mean.  Slow relative to what?  I never used the CS3 Apps but from what I hear Adobe's apps have become bloated systems hogs over the past few version generations.  So what you're experiencing might be perfectly normal and investing in the latest greatest hardware isn't going to make much of a difference.   If you really want know if your performance is abnormal you're going to have to post some stats and numbers in terms of performance because your hardware is definitely not irrelevant by any means.

SSDs will certainly improve performance.   With your OS and Adobe Apps on a SSD and a separate, dedicated SSD for your caching you should see a marked improvement.  Also maxing out to 32gigs of RAM will also be an improvement.   Having said that, if you are planning to build a new system think ahead.   Invest in hardware that will be compatible with your eventual upgrade.  This applies mainly to your RAM being compatible with whatever motherboard and CPU you go with in the future. The the HDDs & SSDs will certainly be compatible so there's no reason to put off investing in faster drives.

Your GPU, in my opinion,  still has some years on it & so does your processor.

Upgrading the CPU, GPU and motherboard definitely will improve overall performance (barring any compatibility issues), but the real question is will they improve performance as much as you might be hoping for or expecting them to?

• 5. Re: Is it time to build a new machine?
                  mdefrancesco Level 1

sure, what stats are valuable and how do i get them ?

• 6. Re: Is it time to build a new machine?
                    Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

I'm still not sure what you are asking. Unless you plan on running NASA's next Mars mission, there is nothing wrong with your system. Don't let yourself be confused by misleading info.

Mylenium

• 7. Re: Is it time to build a new machine?
                      Gutter-Fish Level 4

I don't know because you have not given any indication of what exactly your problem is.  I was just saying that SSD drives & more RAM will in theory improve your computers performance as will a faster CPU.  I said this because you asked if your computer would benefit from these things.  Yes, in theory they will.   But I have no idea what your performance issues (if any) are and what sort of benefits you expect to gain from an upgrade.  Both I and Mylenium have told you your hardware is fine.  TBH it just sounds to me like you really are itching to buy a new computer.   Sometimes doing is the best way to learn.

• 8. Re: Is it time to build a new machine?
                        mdefrancesco Level 1

I appreciate it, you guys have made excellent posts and points. I'm going to switch my boot drive to a 500gb SSD (I'll set my caching to the same drive as well) and look into ram options.

sorry if  questions were a little vague but as a self taught builder I'm always second guessing myself and looking for that magic bullet that I've missed.

Thanks again.