1 2 Previous Next 42 Replies Latest reply on Jul 5, 2017 9:35 AM by www.jmalmsten.com

GTX 1080 Mercury playback crashes Premiere and Aftereffects

www.jmalmsten.com Level 1

Hi everybody!

I recently got my PC upgraded. i7 6700 CPU, GTX 1080 GPU, 32 Gig DDR4. I played around with this setup with my Premiere Pro and I was enjoying the greatly increased performance. All was fine and good I thought. Got my win10 activated and everything with the help of Microsofts support-chat.

But the thing was that I hadn't hooked up more than one monitor because my screens don't have DP-ports and the lone HDMI-out on the GPU was taken by my Oculus. So today I went down the store and bought a couple of DVI>DP cables.

Then the trouble started.

I can use double screen... even tripple screen just fine. But when I try to dedicate one screen for full screen previews I was thoroughly thwarted. As soon as I enable the Mercury Playback Engine for the second screen it goes black. And then I cannot use premiere. I can move the timeline but the playback in the window is frozen and the MPE-screen is completely black. When I click the X up in the corner to close the program the program freezes completely and I have to kill it in the processes in taskmanager...

I have tried un-installing both Premiere and After Effects (which has the same problem), rebooted and installed them again. I even made sure that I had the box ticked to delete any preferences. No change.

I recently tried disconnecting the HDMI-cable that goes to the Oculus just to see if it is confusing the GPU but that changed nothing.

I have repeatedly checked the GeForce Experience app to see if there's any new updates available. Nothing.

Windows don't seem to have any updates for me to install either.

I am at a loss here... What am I doing wrong? Where can I find what is doing these problems?

• 1. Re: Mercury playback crashes Premiere and Aftereffects
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I don't have that card so didn't save a link, but I do remember reading that there is a problem with the 1080 and the device driver

You might want to do a forum search for gtx 1080 to find the other discussions

• 2. Re: GTX 1080 Mercury playback crashes Premiere and Aftereffects

Sigh...  When I tried to find my original post it was nowhere to be found. The links in the email I got on gmail just ended in "Unauthorized". So I assumed it was deleted and typed it up again .

Now that to has been deleted and I was informed the original post was moved to the hardware-section.

sigh...

Ok... I will type my reply once more.

I have tried searching for GTX1080-issues, but the only ones I found was about r3d files having trouble playing back. My footage is mostly GH4 produced (4K and UHD mp4), or Gopro 4K when I'm not using assets created by adobe-software. This doesn't seem to be localized in any particular footage type.

I also found the setting in Project Settings to disable GPU acceleration in Mercury Playback. This made no difference.

I have also tried re-downloading the drivers for the GPU from NVIDIAS website (v. 368.39) and forcing my system to re-install it. No change.

My windows 10 pro 64 bit is updated to the latest version (v.1511 OS Build  10586.318)

Something I missed? Something I can try?

• 3. Re: GTX 1080 Mercury playback crashes Premiere and Aftereffects
              John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

This is from "faint" memory, but the message(s) I saw before said going back to the 365.xx driver may help

I do know from personal experience with a different model NVidia card that the newest driver is not always the best

• 4. Re: GTX 1080 Mercury playback crashes Premiere and Aftereffects
                Bill Gehrke Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Well this time I am not on the "bleeding edge" of technology with a GTX 1080 so I cannot help much.

Do you have any simple HD footage that you could try to see if that might be a clue?  You could even try rolling back to a non-368.xx driver although I doubt that would work at all..  All 368.xx drivers exhibit the R3D problem even on previous generation cards   I loaded 368.22 driver on my GTX 970 and sure enough it is able to duplicate the R3D "black screen of death" problem.  Guess I should try the same thing with the 368.39 release.

I got caught in the move of this posting so I copied and pasted the above.

It sure would not hurt to try the 365.19 driver from the GTX 900 series listing as John mentioned

• 5. Re: GTX 1080 Mercury playback crashes Premiere and Aftereffects

Well. As stated before. I have no RED-camera. So I have no knowledge of how that R3D problem materializes.

I have tried with both 4K h264 mp4 files from my GH4 (which PPro has no trouble with when I don't use MPE) and 1080p files rendered with the Youtube preset in Media Encoder.

But just to make sure. I now tried to go back to 368.25 (the earliest driver that is supposed to be compatible with GTX1080-cards at all according to what I can find in my research). Still no change.

And also to note: These files worked fine on my GTX680 with MPE.

• 6. Re: GTX 1080 Mercury playback crashes Premiere and Aftereffects

Well it is to early to tell but you may have found another change the nVidia has made that affects CUDA but not gaming like Maxwell where the deleted a whole library.

As I said all 368.xx files exhibit the R3D problem.

• 7. Re: GTX 1080 Mercury playback crashes Premiere and Aftereffects

Ok. Latest log of trouble-shooting:

First of all. I have confused terms a bit. The problem seems to be with Mercury Transmit (which I use to get full screen playback on my largest monitor). NOT Mercury Playback Engine. Sorry about that. Playback is perfect and fine both in Hardware and Software mode as long as Mercury Transmit is left off.

Just to find out if the GTX 1080 actually is the source of the problem I today resorted to re-instating my GTX680 which didn't exhibit this problem before I got the new GTX1080. This is my results:

Keeping the Oculus disconnected during this whole following process:

• re-installing the 680 with latest drivers (368.39) no change

... keeping 680 installed ... always making sure to do a clean install and reboot before verdict ... also trying both software and hardware renderer for MPE...

• Reverting back to 368.22 (latest before GTX1080-release) no change.
                      • Reverting back to 365.19 (latest before 368.xx) no change
                      • Reverting back to 364.72 (latest before 365.xx) no change

... re-installing the GTX1080 with old drivers (364.72) Dual screen and higher than VGA resolution not available can't test.

• re-installing latest driver after the switcharoo (368.39) Mercury transmit worked ... for a short while ... then it went back to black output after I opened another project. Now it doesn't work no matter the project I open.
                      • Ridding the taskmanager of anything VR before re-opening premiere. Problem persists.

So I am left to wonder if the GTX1080 is actually the source of the problem after all. I have always kept the drivers up to date. And I have now tried with drivers older than I had before I got the new card (and the old card with latest drivers worked perfectly... only slower, of course). So I am forced to think that it may not be a card-specific issue nor even a driver-specific issue after all.

Also. I know that the card is very new on the market. but I cannot be the only one in the whole world with my setup that tries to use Mercury Transmit in Premiere Pro CC2015.2.... Can there not be anyone out there with similar hardware that can confirm or not if this actually is a GPU related issue at all?

Also. Is there any way I can dump out a log from Premiere Pro so that I can see what the program is doing when it crashes?

• 8. Re: GTX 1080 Mercury playback crashes Premiere and Aftereffects

OK. Final reply now. I got hold of the chat-support and they did some trouble-shooting using remote desktop.

When he renamed the folder "\my documents\Adobe\" to "Old Adobe" and created a new project, the problem vanished. So it seems that the problem was in some config or settings-file in that folder that wasn't deleted when I tried re-installing premiere pro at the beginning of my trouble-shooting. Rebuilding the Adobe-folder after installing the new graphics card solved the problem!

So as I suspected, the problem wasn't GPU-related at all... or at least the solution wasn't in the Card or the Drivers... But never mind. Now it works and I can report that the technician will get full marks if I get asked to do a survey! I just wanted to say that here because rarely are the mentions of support techs in these forums fun to read. And normally all we see are the people who have a problem, they get help but no mention of the help is on the forums and all the others are people who have had bad experiences with tech-support.

So yeah. Try them. They usually try their darndest to help.

• 9. Re: GTX 1080 Mercury playback crashes Premiere and Aftereffects

Well. I seem to have been too quick to do the dance of victory.

The problem reappeared... and the quick fix of renaming the folder now does nothing to help.

After another try with chat support we came to an end where we had to resort to leaving it up to the developers at both Adobe and Nvidia to do further bug-hunts and at the end of the month there's supposedly coming an update to Adobe which may help. I'll leave this thread as un-answered again until I hear or try something that remedies the issue.

• 10. Re: GTX 1080 Mercury playback crashes Premiere and Aftereffects
                            JFPhoton Level 3

......your experience makes me feel better abouting waiting until a 1080ti appears to put a new system together...by then, bugs should be worked out. However, some bugs in the past took a LONG time to be fixed....like the old Quirktime 32 bit probem or MTS file problems.

• 11. Re: GTX 1080 Mercury playback crashes Premiere and Aftereffects

Ok, latest update.

I today discovered that Adobe released the fabled june update. So I got my hopes up once more and updated my Adobe software.

The results:

• Just after plain update... no change.
                              • Reboot... no change
                              • Uninstalled both all oculus software and drivers and virtual desktop... I also disconnected HDMI+USB from the headset, the USB from the positional sensor and the XBoxOne Wireless dongle... no change.
                              • reboot... A little playback of audio... no video at all.
                              • Switched around the cables on the back of my monitors so that I wasn't trying to send the mercury transmit feed to my primary display... Some video playback... until a catastrophic crash forced me to do a 4 second hard reboot of my computer.

The performance right now...

I have somehow gotten it to play back video in the program monitor somewhat. But if I resize that panel I get black bars to the right and bottom of the screen. And then eventually video playback goes back to black.

Sound is missing now. At first it tried sending audio to the Rift. I corrected that to the internal real-tech sound-board. No sound.

so basically I have no sound and only intermittent image... I'm going to try adobe chat support again... see if they have any new ideas...

oh... and as far as I can tell... no new drivers from NVIDIA yet

• 12. Re: GTX 1080 Mercury playback crashes Premiere and Aftereffects

Ok, that support tech had a few other tricks up his sleeve. After trying out a few settings in the nvidia-panel he tried something I hadn't thought of yet... changing the display resolution.

As it turned out, we could make a workaround by lowering the display resolution from the monitor default (1920x1080) to the one directly below (in this case, 1680*1050) and then I could have video playback without problems as long as I didn't move the playback or source monitor to the screen that isn't set as the primary. Still no luck on the Mercury Transmit feed though.

We ended there and the support tech would pass the info along to the developers at Adobe and I was asked to await a fix from NVidia.

So to bring my attention to NVidia I now contacted their support staff over chat. A bit of a strange reception there. I only got to mention that it was something about the card and Premiere Pro. BOOM. I was sent a checklist to change in the NVidia Control Panel:

---------------------------------------------------------------

Open the NVIDIA control panel-------->3D settings------->Manage 3D settings-------->Program setting------Select the Premier pro .exe file ------->power management mode. If it is set to "Adaptive" now change it to "Prefer maximum performance"

Open "NVIDIA Control Panel" > "3D Settings" > "Manage 3D Settings" > "Global Settings"

Please set to these below settings and click on "apply"

Power management mode – prefer maximum performance

• Ambient Occlusion – Off

• Triple buffering – off

• Threaded optimization - ON

• Vertical Sync – Off

--------------------------------------------------------------

I played along, did the checks... no change to the issue.

Then immediately I was met with another set of instructions... Which took a while to decipher but I tried it.

-------------------------------------------------------------

Please, reboot the computer to safe mode with networking and download NVIDIA Display Driver Uninstaller from the below link.

http://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html

How to go in safe mode with networking in windows 10: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xnbi_bT2pE4

How to perform DDU: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kdKdi4pqD8A

After the download, install it and follow the below steps.

-> Select the Graphics Driver as NVIDIA on top

-> Click on Clean and Restart

Once you download it. Run the tool and remove all the NVIDIA Files with the above steps and the computer will restart automatically.

Now download the driver from the below link with the same instructions and see if that works.

http://www.nvidia.com/download/driverResults.aspx/103913/en-us

a) Click on the link provided above.

b) Click on "Download". On the next page click "Agree and Download".

c) After the download has finished, install the file using custom installation.

d) Tick mark "Perform Clean Install" and go ahead with the installation process.

e) Restart the computer after finishing the installation.

Please uninstall the driver using DDU in safe mode with networking and install the driver in normal mode.

------------------------------------------------------------------

These guys really need to look over their cut and paste-indexes... but I followed along and... surprise surprise... no change. New try with Chat support at Nvidia now.

• 13. Re: GTX 1080 Mercury playback crashes Premiere and Aftereffects
                                  JFPhoton Level 3

......Occam's Razor......usually the solution to a problem is the simpleist, and not the most complex. It is already known that NVidia has driver issues that affect the 1070 and 1080 GPUs. These primarily involve the failure to play R3D 4K footage....as you have seen.

PPro users have had to go back to earlier GPUs to resume working.......no driver rollbacks worked with the 1080.

It sounds like your monitors are older than your new PC hardware, because they lack a display port , which provides higher resolution and data rate. The DP to DVI cables may be something to look at.

I am not sure if you said that you tried using just one monitor connected with the HDMI cable.....with NO DVI to DP cables in use.

If you DID do that and STILL had problems......even with the old 680 card installed.......the only thing I would recommend is to make sure you RESET the NVidia 3D settings and "global" settings to DEFAULT. This is because the default setting usually is "automatic",or, the program will decide" in regards to programs like PPro. Then , I would check to make sure that Windows 10 is fully updated to the most current version, ( which it is SUPPOSED to do automatically, now).

Other weird things can cause problems suddenly when placing a sudden load on the computer which stresses it.....like the 4K footage. loose memory sticks, or, video card....sudden overheating of the GPU or CPU from fan failure,or, improper installation.

If you cannot get PPro to run the way it did before using your old card, old driver, and an HDMI cable to one monitor, something may have happened along the way to possibly corrupt the installation of PPro where a necessary component was deleted,or, is missing. I would suspect this if all else on the computer runs normally without crashing,or, overheating EXCEPT PPro.

On this forum, a post was made by Puget systems which showed little improvement in performance with the 1080 vs the 980ti. Considering the massive price reduction on the 980ti, you may want to return the problematic 1080 for a 980ti, that DOESN'T have any driver problems.

• 14. Re: GTX 1080 Mercury playback crashes Premiere and Aftereffects

......Occam's Razor......usually the solution to a problem is the simpleist, and not the most complex.

Oh, don't get me started with occams razor, Sherlocks Deduction (or Abduction) or the scientific method...

It is already known that NVidia has driver issues that affect the 1070 and 1080 GPUs. These primarily involve the failure to play R3D 4K footage....as you have seen.

As a matter of fact... no... I HAVE NOT SEEN THIS... I have read about it. But I have no RED-camera (as I have stated ad nauseum), I do not work with r3d files and the problem persists even if I use only a simple testpattern generated within premiere itself... this is not codec-specific.

PPro users have had to go back to earlier GPUs to resume working.......no driver rollbacks worked with the 1080.

See my earlier post about my trials to reconnect the GTX680 that didn't exhibit this problem

It sounds like your monitors are older than your new PC hardware, because they lack a display port , which provides higher resolution and data rate. The DP to DVI cables may be something to look at.

I am not sure if you said that you tried using just one monitor connected with the HDMI cable.....with NO DVI to DP cables in use.

Tried it just now... HDMI to HDMI. No other screen attached. No change.

If you DID do that and STILL had problems......even with the old 680 card installed.......the only thing I would recommend is to make sure you RESET the NVidia 3D settings and "global" settings to DEFAULT. This is because the default setting usually is "automatic",or, the program will decide" in regards to programs like PPro. Then , I would check to make sure that Windows 10 is fully updated to the most current version, ( which it is SUPPOSED to do automatically, now).

I do not think I can do any more of a clean install of the GPU-driver than the DDU-utility that Nvidia linked me to. Windows is updated (see my next post for more info)

Other weird things can cause problems suddenly when placing a sudden load on the computer which stresses it.....like the 4K footage. loose memory sticks, or, video card....sudden overheating of the GPU or CPU from fan failure,or, improper installation.

4K footage? Again. The problem is there regardless of the sources resolution. Even with the Bars And Tone that can be generated by Premiere it persists.

Also... no other programs than Adobe software seem to be affected in the slightest. I can run VR-games at ultra settings maintaining steady 90+ framerates... no weird glitches or anything.

If you cannot get PPro to run the way it did before using your old card, old driver, and an HDMI cable to one monitor, something may have happened along the way to possibly corrupt the installation of PPro where a necessary component was deleted,or, is missing. I would suspect this if all else on the computer runs normally without crashing,or, overheating EXCEPT PPro.

See my next Post where I detail a full nuke/scorched earth trial.

On this forum, a post was made by Puget systems which showed little improvement in performance with the 1080 vs the 980ti. Considering the massive price reduction on the 980ti, you may want to return the problematic 1080 for a 980ti, that DOESN'T have any driver problems.

Since I am still not entirely convinced that the GPU is to blame here I have some hesitations to sending it back to replace it with a 980ti. My reasoning here is partly based on the fact that

1. Reinstalling the 680 card with older drivers did not help.

2. NVidia themselves have been unable to replicate the problem on their machines

3. I use the card for more than video-editing. So I would be probably downgrading for no benefit.

• 15. Re: GTX 1080 Mercury playback crashes Premiere and Aftereffects

Ok, Got some correspondence done with Nvidia support. Here's the cheerful update...

1. We tried the DDU-uninstall and then reinstall... no change

2. I have provided them with all info about my setup and hardware that they have asked for.

3. I have tried my hand at screen-recording for the first time... to illustrate the problem with a youtube video.

GTX1080 PPro trouble (No sound in video, enable annotations to see info) - YouTube

4. They (Nvidia) have not been able to replicate the issue. When they set things up as I did... it runs just fine.

So... understandably... they are a bit hesitant to even call this a GPU/driver error. The latest reply quoted here:

Unfortunately we can't enable any type of logging inside another application, so any logging capability would likely have to be from the Adobe side. Such failures typically require a failing machine to be connected to a debugger so our development team can trace through the calls to see where the failure is occurring.

Without a failing system there is very little our development team can do, so getting this to fail in our lab is key to getting to the bottom of this. The fact that this fails even after you revert back to GTX 680 and the previous drivers which had worked before does suggest problem may be in the configuration and less on the GPU/drivers. If this was a failure on the GTX 1080 or recent drivers then it wouldn't failed with GTX 680 and previous drivers.

We will continue to try and see if we can trigger the failure, but in the meantime do you have a system restore point you can revert back to prior to this failure occurring? If the problem is due to a bad state on the system, either some Adobe component or graphics driver component, then possibly a system restore will help. Note that system restore may require you to re-install applications installed prior to the save point.

The fact that this fails with a previously known working GPU/drivers suggest to me the problem is elsewhere. And the fact that we don't see the problem in our lab also suggest it's unique to your setup, and not general failure with the GTX 1080 or recent drivers, otherwise we would have seen the same failure. Another data point to consider is the fact that rebuilding the Adobe-folder also solved the problem temporary at one time, which suggest to me this may have more to do with an Adobe component. I'm not ruling our GPU or graphics drivers, but rebuilding the Adobe folders wouldn't have anything to do with GPU/drivers.

Best regards,

Ray

Having read the above... I have now tried more drastic measures. At first... I used a system restore point that was as far back as possible (june 12 2016). No change

Then... total nuke option. A full system reset (I have very little on my C:-drive anyway so it's not as bad as for some).

So. A full reset. Deleting EVERYTHING ON C:. Apps, files, drivers... everything. Now I wanted to wipe the slate completely clean...

I re-installed only the basest of what is needed. The hardware drivers for the motherboard, the drivers for the GPU, Chrome, Avast (for some protection), And finally Adobe Creative cloud. From that I installed ONLY Premiere Pro (and media encoder since they go hand in hand), no extra plugins. nothing. I started it up. I loaded a videofile and...

the problem remained!!!

I remembered then that there is that pesky Sync Settings option... Maybe, possibly, a faulty setting has been saved to the proverbial Cloud that got automatically re-inserted when I started the fresh install of Premiere. So I promptly turned it off. I deleted the Adobe folder (can setting be saved anywhere else?) in My Documents... and...

no change.

I do not really know how to proceed here. Nvidia has seen the video I made that illustrates the problem. They are unable to replicate the problem so they are (quite understandably) of the initial opinion that this might not be related to their drivers or hardware. I do not know what else to try now that even a full system restore hasn't helped...

Yes, other people have had problems with the card... but not this problem. For other people, files other than r3d files run just fine. On mine, even test-patterns fail to play back properly...

Again... are there ANY logs that I or Adobe can access to see where the playback ACTUALLY fails? Because, I am flailing in the dark here...

• 16. Re: GTX 1080 Mercury playback crashes Premiere and Aftereffects
                                        JFPhoton Level 3

...Adobe JUST RELEASED  a major update to the whole creative cloud software suite. Does this NEW version eliminate the problem??....did you receive the new update yet ?

Puget systems reported issues with this LAST version of CCloud....particularly with After Effects, which revealed that the " render multiple frames" option was REMOVED and thus caused rendering and previewing times to be INCREASED by as much as SEVEN TIMES !!! They were hoping to see an update which would correct this issue.....maybr this new update did ?

check out this page on the update :

Latest Version of Adobe Premiere Pro is Now Available and Chock-Full of New Features

Another option for your current problem may to be to download an EARLIER version of CCloud, which allows users to still work on older projects, using the previuos versions of CC that they were created on.

• 17. Re: GTX 1080 Mercury playback crashes Premiere and Aftereffects

Yes I did the update on my laptop and did not find the retain previous version option.  I have a fairly complex timeline 4K XAVC-S and two HD 1080 cameras with only cuts, no effects that I have been testing various versions of Premiere.  in Premiere CS6 and 9.2 on my 24 GB laptop and my 64 GB X99 desktop it loads and plays fine.  Now we come to Premiere 10.3 and it never seems to quit building pek and cfa files (last try about 1.5 hours) on the laptop, but when I look at those directories there are relatively few files??? .  But on the desktop is appears about normal taking 3-5 minutes to regenerate those files.  Watching the memory usage on the laptop one time exceeded 23 GB of the 24 GB installed!  I just installed 9.0 (I have not found how to update to 9.2 yet) and it appears back to normal just a few minutes to generate the Media Cache files.

On my x99 64GB desktop with Premiere 10.3 it seem about normal for generating the Media Cache.

• 18. Re: GTX 1080 Mercury playback crashes Premiere and Aftereffects

to JFPhoton:

If you are referring to the june update... the one that makes premiere into CC 2015.3 (why it isn't 2016.1 or something I don't know) then yes. Yes I have seen it. I have updated to this and it made no difference. I mention this in the post from (let me scroll up for a second...) June 21... the day after the june release...

And wether or not your random capitalization was a reaction to my one line in full caps I don't know. Mine was born out of frustration because I have been fairly clear that the r3d problem is not my problem. At least, it has yet to be shown to be my problem. Or if it wasn't a reaction to that I think it makes your reply look more like a page out of a later Frank Miller comic album than a post I was supposed to take seriously. Either way, it just feels strange.

• 19. Re: GTX 1080 Mercury playback crashes Premiere and Aftereffects

To Bill Gehrke:

I am sorry and I don't want to be petty but... In what way is this related to the issue that this thread is discussing? I think you will have a much easier time getting help for your issue if you start your own thread, or at least find a relevant thread. Hijacking irrelevant threads only muddles the water so people don't know what the thread is about any more.

• 20. Re: GTX 1080 Mercury playback crashes Premiere and Aftereffects

Well, today I did the unthinkable. I ignored the GTX 1080 completely and looked over what else could be updated. It turned out that the motherboard had a few bits that could get a bit spiffing up. Including the chipset and the bios. So I updated anything I could for it and... actually made some progress! (WOHO!)

Now, the resizing of the panels works fine.  But Premiere Pro still seems to be a bit wonky when it comes to having things on the second screen. While I can only screen record one screen I realized that I could now take my camera and film both screens to show how things happen. The result is here:

MT Test Troubleshooting continues - YouTube

The gist of it is this.

• Resizing works fine. If I stay on one screen.
                                                • Toggle full screen hotkey works fine. Again. If I stay on one screen
                                                • If I move things over to a second screen things work fine... some times. But if I save the project and reopen it . It won't play back. So I have to reset the layout, close down premiere (often I have to manually kill the process too). And then it works fine again... on a single screen.
                                                • Enabling Mercury Transmit will usually just result in a black screen and a process in the task manager that won't quit properly by itself. Having to be killed manually.

So I think I can safely say that we can stop blaming NVidia for all of the issues at least. The second screen thing might still be their doing. But until I or they manage to replicate the same problem on their machines in their lab, it is hard for me or anyone to prove they are to blame. I think we might have to widen our horizons a bit here.

• 21. Re: GTX 1080 Mercury playback crashes Premiere and Aftereffects
                                                  Eternam Level 1

Hi, I have exactly the same problem when i use the mercury transmit. Black screen with premiere not totally crashing but sorta. Have to exit with the task manager. Could you solve it? I need a solution. I have to show things to my clients in a diferent monitor. I cant have them see my premiere windows while working  on it. Mine is not a GTX 1080. My graphic card is a gtx970m

Please Adobe help.

• 22. Re: GTX 1080 Mercury playback crashes Premiere and Aftereffects

If you need Adobe help contact them directly as this is a user-to-user forum

• 23. Re: GTX 1080 Mercury playback crashes Premiere and Aftereffects
                                                      Mabrick Level 1

Hi J,

I've been "fighting" with my Nvidia based system for almost a year now on issues that sound a lot to me like what you're seeing. Please read my thread here to see if it helps:

Solved! (sort of) - Source monitor and edit workspace video not working after upgrade to 2015.2

At the bottom of the thread is an update I made that outlines my final work around.

IMO, this is not a GTX 1080 (ore any other Nvidia GPU) issue. It is an Adobe issue. Basically I go into Display Settings and set my editing monitor to Primary, and ensure Adobe CC products always load onto that monitor be default. I do not attempt to use both monitors at the same time. It always causes odd behavior from Adobe products. I can confirm this behavior in Light Room and Adobe Photoshop, both of which I use extensively as well as Premier. I have found no issues using Media Encoder directly - oddly enough.

So, this is not a brag, but I have a degree in computer science and have spent the past two decades being an IT Manager (and a lot of other jobs below that title.) This is not a hardware issue. Hardware issues affect all programs using that hardware in the same way. None of the other video editing software I have on my system, from screen recorders to streaming software, show this sort of issue with my monitor configuration. Adobe throwing this in the hardware section is them saying, "not our problem, talk to Nvidia." It's passing the buck, but in actuality it is their software which is the problem. Nvidia is the #1 high end GPU seller on the planet, and not being compatible with them is inexcusable. But personally I've given up trying to get Adobe to do anything. They seem to live in their own world, so I'll continue to use my work around until something better comes along.

Have a great day.

M

• 24. Re: GTX 1080 Mercury playback crashes Premiere and Aftereffects
                                                        la folie

Whatan amazing read and journey, I'm going through the same kind of thing using a gtx1070 and all kinds of sofware, so I'm curious to exchange about this, I'll write a little the issues I'm facing and the method I've found to more or less manage to live with this in a next reply a little later

• 25. Re: GTX 1080 Mercury playback crashes Premiere and Aftereffects
                                                          Rick Troutner

I've been having the same issue as described in this thread and wanted to add my own experience. It seems this issue is affecting anything beyond Premiere Pro 2015, as I have been trying to get this to work through the night talking with both Adobe and Nvidia support reps. Nothing worked and the Adobe support reps passed the buck and sent me over to Nvidia after they couldn't figure it out for over 2 hours. I have a dual GTX 1080 Set Up on a new laptop and new 4k monitors I want to use for editing.  I tried rolling back and updating drivers changing all the settings described here and the only thing that seems to work for now is rolling back to Premiere Pro 2015. When I reinstalled Premiere Pro 2015 it worked flawlessly. I was even having an issue where the display monitor would display itself over all 3 of my monitors making premiere unusable. I have a lot of hours into projects made on PP 2017 so its not really a fix but it narrows down the issue to something Adobe did or added to PP 2015.1, 2015.2, 2015.3, 2017 ... etc. Hope this helps for anyone just wanting to get the functionality and if you need to roll back to 2015 you can find the download links here;

Adobe CC 2015 Direct Download Links: Creative Cloud 2015 Release | ProDesignTools

• 26. Re: GTX 1080 Mercury playback crashes Premiere and Aftereffects

Oh darned... I never thought about rolling back Premiere.

I'll try the download links after dinner because if we can not only replicate the issue, but also the solution on different machines we've narrowed it down further. And therefore Adobe and/or Nvidia has something to work with and they can also motivate the man-hours to make a fix.

• 27. Re: GTX 1080 Mercury playback crashes Premiere and Aftereffects
                                                              Rick Troutner Level 1

Spoke to Adobe again with the new information, the support rep went into the computer troubleshooted all the similar settings and then told me "Unfortunately, we are having this issue and it has already been reported."  A very polite go f*** myself, nothing against the support agent, he was very helpful its just the development working out whatever bugs that us users come across.

You can see the chat below, so essentially if you want the functionality roll back to 2015, or go without it, or wait until they maybe fix in the update in the future. The more people that complain will (hopefully) increase the man-hours putting into resolving the issue getting us a working 2017 version sooner.

whats the eta until it gets resolved? 

have the developers been made aware? 

Yes, the developers are also aware. 

We do not have an ETA yet. 

hmmm 

is there any way i can import sequences back into the 2015 version from 2017 project files 

Unfortunately, no. 

so what are you suggesting i do? 

is a problem on all devices with premiere pro 2017? 

No. 

Only on Windows mostly with Nvidia cards 

ok 

is there anybod yelse i can talk to about to issue or put in a support ticket or something to track the bug getting fixed? 

I have already consulted my senior. The bug would be fixed in an update only. 

Users cannot track a bug. 

I see 

and it does work in the 2015 version if you want to see 

Yes, we know that too. 

ok 

well I'll look for the update

• 28. Re: GTX 1080 Mercury playback crashes Premiere and Aftereffects

I seem to be unable to download the 2015 version with the link provided here. Do anyone know of some other place (other than pirating sites, of course) that might have a working link to download it? I thought that I would just try to download to see if it indeed fixes my problems too and then I can just file a bug-report and not bother another chat-rep.

Also. Did you have to uninstall the 2017 version or can the 2015 version be installed in paralell and still work?

• 29. Re: GTX 1080 Mercury playback crashes Premiere and Aftereffects

Ok. It seems we are having different issues. You didn't specify which version but I tried 2015.3 with an adobe support rep on chat and then using screen-share with him for about an hour or so... No change for me. The rep tried a bunch of things. Among other things he went into the event logger to try to see something there. Said that there's probably a power supply issue. But then he sort of dropped that line of thought and worked on with other things. Eventually he had to settle with pretty much the same thing that other support reps has told me... "the GTX1080 and related cards are brand new still and haven't been fully supported officially by the developers."

Strange it has taken them this long to find the source of the issues. I thought they had this kind of special buddy buddy relationship with Nvidia for a few years now so I assumed that they would be one of the first to get prototype 1080's. And it is ONLY adobe products that seem to take issue with the cards... All other GPU-heavy programs I throw at it it dances around with, but as soon as I enable Transmit, Premiere and my GPU go all strange on me.

As I'm typing this I tried to also uninstall 2015.3 and roll back further to 2015.0. But I see no difference

If anything, the upside right now is that adobe is aware of the problems we are facing. And that they are saying they are working on a fix.Until then... it seems to be a single screen app for me.

• 30. Re: GTX 1080 Mercury playback crashes Premiere and Aftereffects

Well... almost a year later now and a whole new major release of the creative suite. Still no change... Still looses all visual playback as soon as I enable mercury transmit. When I then try to close the app down it doesn#t shut down properly so I need to open the task manager for re-opening premiere...

sigh... I really thought something might have changed over the last year...

• 31. Re: GTX 1080 Mercury playback crashes Premiere and Aftereffects
                                                                      pangolinprods Level 1

i've just upgraded to an Asus G752VS which has an Nvidia GTX 1070 card in it - i have exactly the same problem - if i enable Mercury transmit it crashed AE or Prem either with a black second screen or a complete crash.

Geforce 378.52 drivers, Win 10.

• 32. Re: GTX 1080 Mercury playback crashes Premiere and Aftereffects

What numeric version of Premiere?

Try 381.65 driver

• 33. Re: GTX 1080 Mercury playback crashes Premiere and Aftereffects
                                                                          pangolinprods Level 1

annoyingly the 381.65 driver doesn't recognise the Asus GTX 1070 (it's a known problem)

https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/1002808/gtx-1060-cannot-detect-hardware/

Premiere 2017.1 (as of today, 2017 yesterday same issue)

• 34. Re: GTX 1080 Mercury playback crashes Premiere and Aftereffects
                                                                            pangolinprods Level 1

latest 381.89 nvidia drivers still don't make a difference

• 35. Re: GTX 1080 Mercury playback crashes Premiere and Aftereffects

Sorry but I cannot help, first I do not have a GTX 1070 and only have two monitors.  Have you tried Adobe support and submitted a bug report?

• 36. Re: GTX 1080 Mercury playback crashes Premiere and Aftereffects
                                                                                pangolinprods Level 1

yeah had a support guy log on and have a fiddle - he couldn't solve it either

• 37. Re: GTX 1080 Mercury playback crashes Premiere and Aftereffects
                                                                                  pangolinprods Level 1

sadly 382.05 drivers still don't work

• 38. Re: GTX 1080 Mercury playback crashes Premiere and Aftereffects
                                                                                    JoskeirSara

I have the same problem. Gtx 1070 connected by dp port to monitor and no full screen in adobe premiere. But if I connect two cables to the same monitor from my gtx 1070 then it works on hdmi.

• 39. Re: GTX 1080 Mercury playback crashes Premiere and Aftereffects
                                                                                      pangolinprods Level 1

that just got me thinking - so i tried running the After Effects window on the external screen and mercury transmit to my internal laptop screen. this works! it's a bit annoying but at least it's a workaround for the time being in my case.

Still crashes Premiere though.

1 2 Previous Next