10 Replies Latest reply on Jun 16, 2016 4:18 AM by dj_paige

Lightroom Panoramas

rsearlenz Level 1

Is there a limit to the max number of photos that lightroom 6 can cope with. I have a windows 10 i5 with 8Gb Ram. When I do more then about 10 raw photos it runs out of memory and hangs the PC causing me to do a reboot.

• 1. Re: Lightroom Panoramas
          99jon Adobe Community Professional & MVP

The only limitation is on the resulting file which needs to be less than 512mp or no larger than 65000 px on the long edge.

Have you upgraded to LR6.6 or CC2015.6 – it’s now possible to generate smart previews and use the smart previews as the source files for the pano or HDR merge. It results in a smaller merged file but is much more efficient.

• 2. Re: Lightroom Panoramas
            rsearlenz Level 1

Thanks for that I guess they will have to be done in photoshop as cannot guess what size will be when finished. The odd thing is that they merge at first (showing the merge which suggest it might work) then when they create the file they hang as it is probably bigger than 512MB

• 3. Re: Lightroom Panoramas
              rsearlenz Level 1

How do you use smart previews if they are on the same hard disk

• 4. Re: Lightroom Panoramas
                dj_paige Level 9

rsearlenz wrote:

Thanks for that I guess they will have to be done in photoshop as cannot guess what size will be when finished. The odd thing is that they merge at first (showing the merge which suggest it might work) then when they create the file they hang as it is probably bigger than 512MB

If the error message says out of memory, then it's not the 512 megapixel (not megabyte) restriction.

The problem is you need more memory in your computer.

• 5. Re: Lightroom Panoramas

It's not entirely intuitive. You have to move the originals using Finder or Explorer, perhaps temporarily to Documents or a Pictures folder not managed by Lightroom. When they show as missing, you can then work with the smart previews.

By design, smart previews are intended for use when the master files are off-line. It may be easier in your own set-up to export smaller PSD files or even jpegs and choose to add them to the catalog in the export dialog. Then use those smaller files, as the source files for your merge.

• 6. Re: Lightroom Panoramas
                    dj_paige Level 9

I don't think you can create panoramas from smart previews, if that is the intended meaning of the question.

• 7. Re: Lightroom Panoramas

That feature was made available in the last update.

• 8. Re: Lightroom Panoramas
                        trshaner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

99jon wrote:

It's not entirely intuitive. You have to move the originals using Finder or Explorer, perhaps temporarily to Documents or a Pictures folder not managed by Lightroom. When they show as missing, you can then work with the smart previews.

Why not use Windows Explorer or Mac Finder, Search by Date Modified using today's date, then copy the files to the same folder as the original files. In the Library module use Sort> Capture Time and the Smart Previews will appear next to the original files. You could also put them into a subfolder with an identifying original image file name.

EDIT: You want to Search in the Smart Previews folder, which is a subfolder inside the LR Catalog folder.

99jon wrote:

It may be easier in your own set-up to export smaller PSD files or even jpegs and choose to add them to the catalog in the export dialog. Then use those smaller files, as the source files for your merge.

Smart previews are preferable since they contain raw data with no camera profile applied. This provides all of the benefits of the original raw data files, but with a lower resolution (i.e. smaller) image.

• 9. Re: Lightroom Panoramas
                          rsearlenz Level 1

I solved this by moving my files onto c: drive instead of on my external drive. I think my external drive was to slow

• 10. Re: Lightroom Panoramas
                            dj_paige Level 9

Speed of the drive shouldn't have anything to do with panorama creation.