8 Replies Latest reply on Jun 15, 2016 5:24 PM by gnashan

Need help with workflow for critiquing student images

gnashan

We have been using Lightroom CC to critique workshop students' images by importing each card and then working in the Develop Module to try different cropping, exposure, etc. As files have gotten larger, the import/copy process has become too long for each card. We would like to use the Add option, but of course that is not available when importing from an SD/CF card.

I just need the previews in the catalog long enough to select a half dozen with them for review/edit. The edits are primarily to show how they might adjust their framing and exposure in the future, not to teach editing, so they edited versions don't have any special value.

I would prefer to leave the files on students' cards, create standard previews during import and only create 1:1 previews on the fly for the images we actually edit, usually 5-6 each session. I would leave the card in the reader (USB 3.0) while we critique, then eject and pop in the next card.

They are shooting in RAW and wouldn't want to lose quality by switching to JPG or a compressed format. Some might be willing to shoot RAW + JPG for the workshop and just import the JPG's for critiquing, but that presents them with a file management issue and possibly lowered image quality for the editing piece.

Any suggestions? I would like to stay with LR for this, unless there is no good option in LR, as I also teach LR as part of the workshop, but would consider another tool or add-in, if that was the best option.

Thank you from Maine.

• 1. Re: Need help with workflow for critiquing student images
          Just Shoot Me Adobe Community Professional

This is not an option with LR. For any image to be displayed in LR and for any editing that will be done to it the file/s must be copied to a physical HDD that is connected to the system. Memory cards aren't treated the same as physical disks and I don't know anyway to change that in LR

I suggest you try Adobe Bridge and then use ACR directly from Bridge to do your editing. All the features in ACR are the same as in the LR Develop module and you won't have to copy the the images to the hard drive first, as far as I know. I just tested that and it seems to work fine except that no XMP sidecard files are created on the memory card. So the changes made might only be stored in the ACR cache system and all edits are lost once the card is ejected.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Need help with workflow for critiquing student images

OPPS. I was originally working on a JPG file and when working with a RAW file there is an XMP sidecar file created on the memory card.

• 3. Re: Need help with workflow for critiquing student images

You might also try a different card reader as IIRC the option to Add on import, instead of Copy, is partially controlled by the type of card reader you have and the OS you are using.

IIRC with one type of card reader I had that had multiple slots for different types of cards each slot got a drive letter and made the memory card inserted into one of those slot look like an external drive instead of a camera memory card. Not sure if that will work or not but you could try it. This was several year ago when one camera i had used SD card the other camera used CF cards.

• 4. Re: Need help with workflow for critiquing student images
                Jao vdL Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I would also suggest you do not use Lightroom for this. Lightroom is fantastic in its develop module but it just isn't very good at fast ingestion and quick editing of loads of images. Lightroom is really meant for the individual photographer and is not optimized for multi shooter editorial use. As shoot me suggests, Bridge can do most of that much faster. Most people I know that deal with loads of images and need to get through them fast use a product called photo mechanic, which is not made by Adobe but is incredibly fast at tasks like this and might be something you want to check out for this purpose. If you try Bridge (which you have access to if you have CC) I would either manually in the operating system or using Bridge copy the files from the cards to segregated folders on your hard drive and then use Bridge to browse through them and use camera raw (double click the image) to edit. This is going to be a lot faster than doing it in Lightroom and also has the advantage of not mucking up your catalog or fill your drive with new catalogs.

• 5. Re: Need help with workflow for critiquing student images

You could also just select certain images to import in the Import Dialog window instead of importing all of them. Just the ones you want to do edits on.

• 6. Re: Need help with workflow for critiquing student images
                    gnashan Level 1

Just Shoot Me, Jao,

Thank you for your prompt responses. I just tried the Bridge/ACR option and it is indeed much faster than LR for what I am doing. It will mean some practice to get as quick as I am in LR and I couldn't find a couple handy tools like the before/after view and virtual copies, but it solves the copy/import time delay which is the big issue right now.

I'll also check out the card reader/drive letter option and copying to an SSD and then adding to LR option and let you know how I make out.

Thank you, very much.

Georges.

• 7. Re: Need help with workflow for critiquing student images

No Virtual copies in ACR. That is a LR only feature.

• 8. Re: Need help with workflow for critiquing student images
                        gnashan Level 1

Thank you all for your input. It has been very helpful.

I decided to go the Bridge->ACR route, as it is the fastest, avoids having to copy student files to my pc and is the closest to my familiar LR interface/tools.

I found it took 48 sec's to transfer 1GB of files to my SSD using the laptop SD card slot and 36 seconds using my usb3 card reader, both much to slow for the 50-80 GB's of files the students shoot daily.

When we're out on a windjammer for a week with no network and shared folders, this will be especially efficient.

Thank you all again for your great input. This is truly a collaborative forum.

Best,

Georges