Are you able to reproduce the import issue every time you import?
What is YOUR import time per image to create smart previews and 1:1 previews?
Importing 100 CR2s from a 5DIII (22mp) on my MacBook Pro (late 2013 edition), copying to an external hard drive, building both Smart and 1:1 Previews, took 3.85 seconds per image.
On my venerable 6 year old Windows Desktop, first gen i7-930, the same process (but this time copying to an internal drive) took 5.6 seconds per image.
But even allowing something extra for your larger files, 23 seconds per image is ridiculous and points to a bottleneck somewhere in your system.
That seems to be very high for sure. Can you share some additional information which will help in analysing this issue?
- What size catalog were you importing the photos into?
- Was the syncing to LR Mobile turned on?
- Were there other operations like export/face tagging running? Had LR been running from a long time, do you recall any RAM usage numbers you might have seen?
- Did you leave LR idle when the import session was taking place?
- If you copy the files to your computer and then import using identical settings do you still see the same times?
- I assume you were importing by generating 1:1 previews and also building smart previews? Also assuming you were copying the files to the 8x2GB RAID 5 disk setup instead of the SSD.