9 Replies Latest reply on Jun 17, 2016 6:42 AM by Szalam

Video won't appear in composition

Sethella

My Dynamic Link Premiere file will transfer to AE, but when I drag it to the AE timeline/composition, nothing shows up. The timecode accurately changed to the file time and I get a green render bar above the timeline, but no visible file or layer. The DL file has a thumb nail image, but only shows a black box when I view the source. After I create a composition with the trouble DL file, I'm unable to drag it anywhere again - getting the Ø symbol.

I've been doing this for years and never had a problem until now. I've had no issues with the same files just a few weeks ago and nothing has changed regarding hardware and software. I later tried to update both programs and that didn't work.

I have no workflow issues with other projects using the same methods. For some reason, AE decided it hates this one Premiere file. I tried renaming the PP project and importing other scenes but the same thing happens. The PP scene hasn't been used in DL previously, yet it still won't show up in any AE project I create.

I've been searching forums for a week and I'm stumped! I'd really appreciate some help on this one!

Thanks very much

• 1. Re: Video won't appear in composition
          Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

The most obvious place to start would be to render a suitable DI (digital intermediate) from the original footage or just replace the clip with footage that worked before. If no other footage from previous projects will work or if starting a new PPro project using your original footage will work then it's time for further testing. Most of the problems I have seen like this involve the source footage codec/compression or incompatible builds of AE and PPro.

• 2. Re: Video won't appear in composition
            Sethella Level 1

Thanks very much for the reply. I'm actually unable to render anything out of the Premiere project using the Encoder. It says "failed" and provides the following info:

- Preset Used: HD 720p 23.976

- Video: 1280x720 (1.0), 23.976 fps, Progressive, 00:53:30:16

- Audio: AAC, 192 kbps, 48 kHz, Stereo

- Bitrate: VBR, 1 pass, Target 6.00 Mbps, Max 10.00 Mbps

- Encoding Time: 00:21:52

04/10/2016 09:47:07 PM : Encoding Failed

-------------------------------------

- Encoding Time: 00:06:19

04/18/2016 04:32:05 PM : Encoding Failed

------------------------------------------------------------

Export Error

If audio is in 2-pass VBR encoding mode, try either CBR or 1-pass encoding.

Export Error

- Encoding Time: 00:08:29

06/12/2016 04:40:43 AM : Encoding Failed

A low-level exception occurred in: Lumetri Color (AEVideoFilter)

A low-level exception occurred in: Lumetri Color (AEVideoFilter)

I'm not sure what to make of this besides a possible error concerning Lumetri filters and audio encoding.

• 3. Re: Video won't appear in composition
              Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Sounds like you've got something more fundamentally awry.

What happens if you use the Import>Import Premiere Pro Project command?

• 4. Re: Video won't appear in composition
                Sethella Level 1

Thanks for the recommendation. I think you're right- there's a bigger problem somewhere in here.

When I attempt to import using that method I get the error:

"Internal verification failure

AEGPD_PlaceHolderFootageFromPath: AEIO_Filetype_None is not a valid file type.

Use AEIO_Filetype_DIR or AEIO_Filetype_Generic"

I tried it with a few difference sequences including ones with only one type of codec (hasn't been a problem in the past) and no applied effects or filters.

Greatly appreciate any suggestions!

• 5. Re: Video won't appear in composition

That's odd. Any chance someone installed some bizarre codec pack on your system like K-Lite or something similar? I seem to recall weird import errors when third-party codecs or video players were installed.

• 6. Re: Video won't appear in composition
                    Sethella Level 1

It's my personal computer and I haven't installed anything new.

I tried to google the error but couldn't find anything :/

• 7. Re: Video won't appear in composition

What exact version (down to the build number) of Premiere are you using?

Same question about AE.

• 8. Re: Video won't appear in composition
                        Sethella Level 1

Premiere CC 9.2

AE 13.7.1.6

Thank you!

• 9. Re: Video won't appear in composition

Hmmmm. Since your issues seem to be based in Premiere somewhere, I'd recommend posting about them specifically over in the Premiere Pro forum. Once they help you figure out the Premiere issues THEN you will likely be able to interface with AE without problem. If problems are still happening, they'll likely be a bit different and (hopefully) easier to fix.