7 Replies Latest reply on Jun 12, 2016 7:33 PM by Jas69

Where are my photos saved

Jas69 Level 1

I've been using Photoshop and ACR for a decade and now I'd like to use Lightroom on my Samsung Tab S2 running Android 6.

On the PC I will be viewing my images with Bridge/Photomechanic/Windows and when I find an image to edit I just click edit in Photoshop. When I'm done I save it in a folder. To view it I just open the folder and view it with what ever software suits the situation. Very simple and straight forward.

With Lightroom mobile I've worked out that I have to import the images into a catalog. When that's done I then view them and edit one.

I can't work out where they are saved though. When I look for them either with one of my viewing software options or search through the folders on both the built in storage or SD card I can't find them.

I'd like to save the edited image to a folder and move on. Could someone point me in the right direction please

• 1. Re: Where are my photos saved
          99jon Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You don’t save images in Lightroom. All the editing is automatically saved in the catalog.

Simply select a batch in the LR Library and click on the plus icon on the Collections tab. Make a named collection and choose to include the selected photos.

You then mark the collection for sync and they get sent to LR Mobile on your Samsung Tab S2.

If you really need hard copies for other software applications you export the selected items directly to a folder on your computer or external drive.

• 2. Re: Where are my photos saved
            Just Shoot Me Adobe Community Professional

Lightroom, the desktop computer version, won't run on an Android device. The only version of LR that works on Android and iOS mobile devices is LR Mobile. LR mobile is only available for the CC subscription base version of LR. It will work for a short period of time, a trial version, with the LR 6 stand alone version.

So if you don't have a Photographer plan subscription the the LR Mobile app you have installed on your Samsung device will stop working sometime in the near future.

As for where LR Mobile stores your images I don't know for sure, I've never really used it other than to test it out when it was first offered, But I would think they are stored in the same place the camera on your mobile device stores images.

• 3. Re: Where are my photos saved
              Jas69 Level 1

Thanks Just Shoot Me

I've been a subscriber to the full Adobe suite since it went to subscriptions a few years back. I've had LR Mobile on my phone since the day it was released but for some reason the file storage system has kept me at bay. I thought it was time to toughen up and and install it on my tablet and get to the bottom of the LR filing system.

• 4. Re: Where are my photos saved
                Jao vdL Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Images in the Lightroom mobile app are stored in a separate area of your mobile device and are not really user accessible as they are not actually edited images but originals (for jpegs and tiffs shot with the mobile's camera and dngs for a select few Android phones that support raw capture) with editing instructions in a separate catalog-like file. If you use Lightroom mobile you have to use creative cloud sync to a Lightroom installation on a desktop machine to get the images onto your computer in a easy manner. You simply enter your creative cloud credentials in the mobile app and in Lightroom on your desktop and the images get synced. This works well but you cannot use Bridge. It has to be Lightroom. More info here: How to get started with Lightroom on mobile | Adobe Photoshop Lightroom CC tutorials

• 5. Re: Where are my photos saved
                  Jas69 Level 1

Screenshot_20160613-115214.png

Thanks 99jon

This is where I have got myself to many times.

I have spent a few hours reading and watching but haven't found the right source of information that my obviously febal brain can comprehend.  I wouldn't just expect others to waste their time on me otherwise. I understand the workings of glorious rocket motors but not LR save image.

I think I understand you as saying LR doesn't save images as is the case with ACR they just deal with an overlayed file of modifications. But you can export an image from ACR and Photoshop. I do as a tiff then make jpeg's as needed to different dimensions and compression standards.

You said

"You then mark the collection for sync and they get sent to LR Mobile on your Samsung Tab S2",

thank you but I cant find a sync option, literaly. Maybe the little cloud symbol in top left? Will that destination, LR Mobile on my Samsung Tab S2, be a folder that I can find without using LR ?

We are experiencing yet another Internet outage 30 miles out of Melbourne CBD in Australia so maybe thats not helping me get on top of this situation. I'll have to wait till that's fixed I suppose.

Thanks mate

• 6. Re: Where are my photos saved
                    Jas69 Level 1

Thanks jao vdL

I have to edit for a folio on my desktop for the rest of the day and my internet is at 3.5 sec ping, 0.1 Mbit up, 0.01 Mbit down so best I wait till thats fixed today or so because I think that's adding to my present confusion.

I temember trying to get my head around how refrigeration works 20 years ago, I just couldn't grasp the concept but when I did it was so obvious I was embarrassed. This will be the same.

I really want to become proficient in LR so I'll push on. I'd like to be able to shoot with my 1Dx and transfer using my wifi dodad to my tablet and upload to my ftp site via my phone's 4G network. Other sports photographers around me are doing just that and I'm looking the fool and missing the deadlines.

I will pursue your advice tomorrow

Thanks mate

• 7. Re: Where are my photos saved
                      Jao vdL Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Syncing collections between Lightroom desktop and mobile is here: Lightroom CC - Web Collection Sharing Across Devices - YouTube

I really want to become proficient in LR so I'll push on. I'd like to be able to shoot with my 1Dx and transfer using my wifi dodad to my tablet and upload to my ftp site via my phone's 4G network. Other sports photographers around me are doing just that and I'm looking the fool and missing the deadlines.

Annoyingly Lightroom won't help you with that except if you do only jpegs. If you shoot raw on your 1Dx, you need different tools.  Typically people use things like the eyefi wifi sd cards and an app on the phone to do what you are envisioning.